Is my Impeller ok?

CapPugwash

Visit site
Hello matey forum peeps.

Got an issue on my inboard Mastervolt Whisper generator (not on my barge, not my Saling boat :)). The water flow is heavily restricted and I suspect that the heat exchanger is clogged up with calcium but am checking the easy stuff first. The impeller was changed during a service a few months ago so should be fine. However, I find one blade is facing the opposite way to the others. Is this OK? The internet indicates it may be fine but you know the internet.

Should I bend it back? Water flow is from the bottom.

WhisperImpeller.jpeg

Plum

Visit site
Hello matey forum peeps.

Got an issue on my inboard Mastervolt Whisper generator (not on my barge, not my Saling boat :)). The water flow is heavily restricted and I suspect that the heat exchanger is clogged up with calcium but am checking the easy stuff first. The impeller was changed during a service a few months ago so should be fine. However, I find one blade is facing the opposite way to the others. Is this OK? The internet indicates it may be fine but you know the internet.

Should I bend it back? Water flow is from the bottom.

View attachment 159791
Not unusual and will sort it's self out on start up.

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Last edited:

penfold

Visit site
No visible wear, no cracking, no delamination from the hub; either leave it in place or change and retain as a spare. How much wear is there to the inside of the housing or the face plate? That can make a big difference.

peter gibbs

Visit site
Thank you
What's the condition of the face plate? If deeply scored work off the ridges with wetted emery paper. Improves water circulation. There should also be a paper gaskit between plate and body, vaselined in place. A small rubber button sits in the centre to further contain water circulation....
Rubber vanes align in motion, no action required.

CapPugwash

Visit site
What's the condition of the face plate? If deeply scored work off the ridges with wetted emery paper. Improves water circulation. There should also be a paper gaskit between plate and body, vaselined in place. A small rubber button sits in the centre to further contain water circulation....
Rubber vanes align in motion, no action required.
Paper gasket = yes
There is some wear on the plate too.

CapPugwash

Visit site
Is the pump above or below water line? If above a shaft seal leak can cause it to lose it's prime or suck air in reducing flow.
Does it dribble from behind when running?

I believe it is below the water line, but I will check that.

Yes, water does dribble from behind the pump. I fancy that this is because there is a blockage, in the heat exchanger possibly, causing pressure to build. I plan to run a descaler fluid through it.

Stemar

Visit site
I believe it is below the water line, but I will check that.

Yes, water does dribble from behind the pump. I fancy that this is because there is a blockage, in the heat exchanger possibly, causing pressure to build. I plan to run a descaler fluid through it.
That means the pump needs have the seals and, probably the bearing replaced. Not a hard DIY job, but if you're paying someone to do it, it might make sense to fit a new pump, as the extra labour for refurbishing may well take you close to the cost of a new pump.