Iridium - external aeiral or not?

Independence

Visit site
I’m in the process of concluding my iridium strategy (or not) and was wondering if those who have used them previously used an external aerial.

Thanks

Paul

CPD

Visit site
Hi Paul, for what its worth, the Iridium (901/905 ???) I used in 08 did not have an external aerial and I never had problems with getting a signal.

oldvarnish

Visit site
In my experience you'll usually get a signal with the phone's aerial alone and be able to make a voice call; but if you want to use the Iridium for data (gribs, for example) then for the fastest download - which means the lowest cost - an external aerial makes a big difference.

Independence

Visit site
In my experience you'll usually get a signal with the phone's aerial alone and be able to make a voice call; but if you want to use the Iridium for data (gribs, for example) then for the fastest download - which means the lowest cost - an external aerial makes a big difference.

Thanks, that seems to be the general feedback I'm getting.....question now is.....in the long run, is it a better investment to pay £350 or so for an aerial??!!

hrchivers

Visit site
.....question now is.....in the long run said:
Probably too many unknowns to do the math. Perhaps I can confuse you with another factor...

I don't have an external antenna; my guess is that I would have difficulty getting data on a handheld in rough weather because of the problem of keeping it pointed sensibly for long enough (does anyone know this for sure?). So will gribs be your primary or only weather source, and if so would you be happy without an update for a couple of days if the world was treating you badly? My first choice is weatherfax, so I'm happy with the risk to gribs - you may be different.
Howard

Independence

Visit site
Probably too many unknowns to do the math.

Was only joking about actually doing the math.

I intend downloading GRIB as well as send / receive texts plus the odd telephone call all of which I can live without if it comes to it. From other feedback I've received there seems to be quite a mixed bag of success without aerials.

Tony Head will be doing a short piece on weather fax at the symposium on 1st Feb. I'm not sure personally I've got anywhere to put one if that was the route I intended to go!