Ipad running navionics seems to freeze

Refueler

Visit site
I agree the subscription is not expensive.

I would be happy to pay that and they let me download the charts and that should be the end of our interaction.
I don't want to be in their 'community' or them to be sharing my data or loading up my phone.
I think my employer would be uncomfortable with a foreign company tracking me, let a lone harvesting my contacts etc.

I need it to be very clear about working offline.
If I have to jump through a hoop or two to keep it working offline, it really ought to be making that clear.
But needing to log on and not being able to log on is not acceptable.

AIUI, one subscription can be used across apple and android devices?
So I don't quite get how my ipad would be interacting with my google play account?
It seems much more likely that he devices interact with Garmin Inc where they are tagged against my navionics account?[quoter]

Any way, if it costs 30 or 40 quid a year for a subscription, plus £50 for a dedicated secondhand ipad now and then, so be it.

Agree ... but you do not have to agree to be part of their community - I'm not. I do not let my tracks / routes etc upload to Garmins crowd !

Think you misread me ... Whichever 'store' you downloaded from Google Play or Apple Play - that is likely the logon that is pestering you .. I did not say Google for your iPad etc.

As I say ... myself and 5 others I know all work offline fine .... only time online - is to update the maps - which of course is all part of the sub. Once updated - its offline and carry on.

Its the only item I think is good value ... that has anything to do with Garmin.

B27

Visit site
Agree ... but you do not have to agree to be part of their community - I'm not. I do not let my tracks / routes etc upload to Garmins crowd !

Think you misread me ... Whichever 'store' you downloaded from Google Play or Apple Play - that is likely the logon that is pestering you .. I did not say Google for your iPad etc.

As I say ... myself and 5 others I know all work offline fine .... only time online - is to update the maps - which of course is all part of the sub. Once updated - its offline and carry on.

Its the only item I think is good value ... that has anything to do with Garmin.
No, it's clearly asking for the Navionics logon. Connect to internet (on a solid connection at home), give it the Navionics email and password, it's happy. That's the free trial on ipad.

steve yates

Visit site
No, it's clearly asking for the Navionics logon. Connect to internet (on a solid connection at home), give it the Navionics email and password, it's happy. That's the free trial on ipad.
Navionics seems to periodically request you to log into your navionics account, dont know why but its irritating at best, dangerous at worst, as until you have done as they ask, you cant use it. So if your time is up when you are offshore out of mobile range, you are high and dry.

Last edited:

B27

Visit site
Navionics seems to periodically request you to log into your navionics account, dont know why but its irritating at best, dangerous at worst, as until you have done as they ask, you cant use it. So if your time is up when you are offshore out of mobile range, you are high and dry.
But it doesn't seem to be consistent. The dodgy old android tablet has hardly been on the internet since I downloaded the navionics charts 13 months ago.
It did tell me I needed to log on and renew the subscription if I wanted to set up a 'route' etc, but it keeps working putting the boat on the chart, showing tide streams and heights (roughly). I often end up booting it up from 'cold' having found the battery has gone flat.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
Other Apps are available. I tried Navionics and hated it so I use Imray Navigator. It's raster so not to everyones taste but I love having the same chart on my nav table and my iPad.

Refueler

Visit site

OK .... maybe its a result of not continuing the sub ? But then again - one of the 5 guys has not renewed and he is not having your problem and that's on an iPad ...

GARMIN !!

Refueler

Visit site

Only time I have been asked to log in again is when I changed phone other day .... I needed to setup that phone and when I went to renew sub. But the login for renew sub as I said earlier was based on Google Account as I downloaded via Google Play.

Porthandbuoy

www.backbearing.com

In all the time I’ve been using Navionics it’s never asked me to log on for it to work. And off the west coast of Scotland I am frequently either out of mobile phone coverage or down to the slowest of the slow data rates. As for failing to update at slow speeds, I’ve tracked the boat swinging at anchor and that’s pretty slow.
Over the weekend I’ve tried different IPad settings but can’t replicate yours, or anyone else’s issues.

One thing I couldn’t check though. Are there multiple WiFi options and/or Bluetooth devices on board? Could be your iPad/tablet is flitting between internal GPS and an external source.

steve yates

Visit site
In all the time I’ve been using Navionics it’s never asked me to log on for it to work. And off the west coast of Scotland I am frequently either out of mobile phone coverage or down to the slowest of the slow data rates. As for failing to update at slow speeds, I’ve tracked the boat swinging at anchor and that’s pretty slow.
Over the weekend I’ve tried different IPad settings but can’t replicate yours, or anyone else’s issues.

One thing I couldn’t check though. Are there multiple WiFi options and/or Bluetooth devices on board? Could be your iPad/tablet is flitting between internal GPS and an external source.
I’ve been using it since 2015, and it happened to me as described last year for the first time, I was unable to use it till I logged in. Thats why I said periodically, I have no idea why it decided that was required that day, and I hope its not something theywill be doing more often going forward.
There is no wifi on board, no other gps devices, and the ipad is wifi only. It uses a garmin dongle for gps via bluetooth.
Just because it has happened to,you, does not mean it wont. Or it might have happened when at home doing something else and logging in was inconsequential.

Thats an entirely different issue to freezing, and I agree, I often use it to track my boat at anchor to check the swing and for dragging. Mr messy is very useful for that :)
I’ve always suspected the freeze was actually with the bluetooth connecting ipad to garmin dongle in my case.

B27

Visit site
A litle twist I've just worked out, the GPS on my ipad doesn't work if the wifi is switched off.
It does work with my home router switched off, so it doesn't need internet.

Walk up and down the drive with it, I can see it's not the most accurate GPS in the world errors of 20 or 30 feet.
Seems to not register I've moved at all then move me a ~40ft jump?
It doesn't register any speed at walking pace.

Remember how brilliant we'd have thought this was when we had Decca?

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
A litle twist I've just worked out, the GPS on my ipad doesn't work if the wifi is switched off.
It does work with my home router switched off, so it doesn't need internet.

Walk up and down the drive with it, I can see it's not the most accurate GPS in the world errors of 20 or 30 feet.
Seems to not register I've moved at all then move me a ~40ft jump?
It doesn't register any speed at walking pace.

Remember how brilliant we'd have thought this was when we had Decca?
Yours is the cellular iPad is it? The Wifi-only iPads don’t have GPS at all, they use Siri to get an approximate position.

B27

Visit site
Yours is the cellular iPad is it? The Wifi-only iPads don’t have GPS at all, they use Siri to get an approximate position.
No, mine is an old mk1 I pad, model A1474.
It does not have cellular/phone/GSM or a SIM in it.
It does have GPS.
And Wifi obviously.
It has Bluetooth.
And a compass.
I'm guessing maybe the RF chipset which does the WIFI also does the GPS?

I think you are right that 'modern' ipads without cellular don't have GPS. Like the majority of other modern tablets.
But this is an old one.
It may be of interest to people wanting a navionics toy on their boat, because you can buy these old ipads for £50 or so on ebay.

There used to be a range of tablets like the original Tesco Hudl which had GPS but no phone.
Our old 'boat tablet' is an aged Samsung which has GPS but not phone.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
No, mine is an old mk1 I pad, model A1474.
It does not have cellular/phone/GSM or a SIM in it.
It does have GPS.
And Wifi obviously.
It has Bluetooth.
And a compass.
I'm guessing maybe the RF chipset which does the WIFI also does the GPS?

I think you are right that 'modern' ipads without cellular don't have GPS. Like the majority of other modern tablets.
But this is an old one.
It may be of interest to people wanting a navionics toy on their boat, because you can buy these old ipads for £50 or so on ebay.

There used to be a range of tablets like the original Tesco Hudl which had GPS but no phone.
Our old 'boat tablet' is an aged Samsung which has GPS but not phone.
Your iPad does not have a GPS receiver built in. It can receive position from an external source which could be triangulated between known wifi routers even when you are not connected to them or transmitted directly.If you connect via bluetooth or wifi to a position source i.e. a gps receiver it will use that position otherwise it will use the position of the router it is connected to. Those router positions have been mapped by every apple device that has been in range and has a known position and has not had data transmission turned off. When someone walks past your house with an iPhone, that phone receives your wifi signal even though it doesn't connect. The strength of that signal is sent back to apple where it is collated with all the others to triangulate your and everyone else's router position.

Porthandbuoy

www.backbearing.com
Have you ever logged off?

Can't find such any such option in the app menu!

I can stop the app, swipe it off the screen, start it anytime, and it just works. If internet access is available through WiFi it syncs my charts, tracks and routes and, if updates are available, I can update my charts.
Mobile Data is always OFF for the app, so the question of mobile coverage doesn't even arise.

B27

Visit site
Just to close this off, these early non-cellular ipads do have a GPS antenna (I've seen the teardown video and the parts list), and use GPS signals along with Wifi in 'Apple Location'.
But they don't work as a standalone GPS where there is no wifi.
The wifi seems to be immensly sensitive 'seeing' networks from hundreds of metres away.

The exact way they use GPS and wifi together seems to be a dark and mysterious Apple proprietrary thing and may vary according to IOS version.
It's a nice size screen and a good tool for viewing the charts on and all that.
When you know where you are but want to look at the chart for hazards ahead etc, it's a very nice tool.
IMHO much nicer than a phone or 7inch tablet.
And it ran for 3 days without charging. Opens in seconds and no issues with logging in or anything.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
Just to close this off, these early non-cellular ipads do have a GPS antenna (I've seen the teardown video and the parts list), and use GPS signals along with Wifi in 'Apple Location'.
But they don't work as a standalone GPS where there is no wifi.
The wifi seems to be immensly sensitive 'seeing' networks from hundreds of metres away.

The exact way they use GPS and wifi together seems to be a dark and mysterious Apple proprietrary thing and may vary according to IOS version.
It's a nice size screen and a good tool for viewing the charts on and all that.
When you know where you are but want to look at the chart for hazards ahead etc, it's a very nice tool.
IMHO much nicer than a phone or 7inch tablet.
And it ran for 3 days without charging. Opens in seconds and no issues with logging in or anything.
Your wifi only Ipad does not have any GPS capability. Apple use a combined cellular and GPS chip. You must have misread something.

Last edited:

Refueler

Visit site
Your wifi only Ipad does not have any GPS capability. Apple use a combined cellular and GPS chip. You must have misread something.

I was also surprised reading the post saying GPS ....

Its one of the most complained factors of budget iPads for Drones .... so many buy iPad then find they fail to have GPS function on the iPad to work with the Drone ...