Ipad running navionics seems to freeze

B27

Visit site
Your wifi only Ipad does not have any GPS capability. Apple use a combined cellular and GPS chip. You must have misread something.
It has this GPS antenna in it:
iPad Air Wifi and GPS Antenna (Right Side)

It seems that originally Apple used a wifi-assisted GPS in some of these old products.
But the whole Apple Location system has changed and the GPS functionality (which some say was never very good) was abolished several IOS's ago.

That would explain why the first owner of this particular ipad was able to use the GPS in the mountains of mid Wales!
Don't forget this is a device from nearly 10 years ago!

Well at least it didn't cost me anything, it can go back to being an e-book reader and music store.

stranded

Visit site
If the OP is still looking for a solution to his problem, a recent problem I had with Boating app crashing and freezing on my iPhone “may” have been resolved by switching off a VPN on the phone.

I had logged a call with Garmin and they promised the 19.1 app update. In the meantime I had cause to switch off the VPN. After the VPN was switched off and signed out (or else it restarts itself), and before the Boating update was published, I was not for several days able to replicate the problem with the Boating app crashing and freezing, despite using it a LOT. Boating update duly installed and used with VPN logged out for a couple of weeks with no problem with Boating, but then logged back into the VPN to watch some geo restricted tv and forgot to sign out of the VPN at the end. Next time I used Boating - crash! Signed out of VPN, no problem since - probably another couple of weeks. No idea of the mechanism or whether it was just coincidence, just putting it out there.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
It has this GPS antenna in it:
iPad Air Wifi and GPS Antenna (Right Side)

It seems that originally Apple used a wifi-assisted GPS in some of these old products.
But the whole Apple Location system has changed and the GPS functionality (which some say was never very good) was abolished several IOS's ago.

That would explain why the first owner of this particular ipad was able to use the GPS in the mountains of mid Wales!
Don't forget this is a device from nearly 10 years ago!

Well at least it didn't cost me anything, it can go back to being an e-book reader and music st
Sorry mate you are mistaken by dodgy aftermarket cons. The GPS antenna is actually completely separate. That is a standard wifi replacement antenna that is miss labelled. If you go to Fixing the world, one gizmo at a time. | iFixit News you can see a teardown of the GPS version of your model as well as pictures of your motherboard. You will se there is a hole in your motherboard where the telecom/gps chip is mounted on the other version.

As for wifi location services, there is an entire page about in on apples information pages it's not shady or secret just misunderstood by many.

B27

Visit site
Sorry mate you are mistaken by dodgy aftermarket cons. The GPS antenna is actually completely separate. That is a standard wifi replacement antenna that is miss labelled. If you go to Fixing the world, one gizmo at a time. | iFixit News you can see a teardown of the GPS version of your model as well as pictures of your motherboard. You will se there is a hole in your motherboard where the telecom/gps chip is mounted on the other version.

As for wifi location services, there is an entire page about in on apples information pages it's not shady or secret just misunderstood by many.
Are you an American by any chance?