international standard winch socket - what size?

Daydream believer

Visit site
Not sure why you are asking but if you are looking to buy a locking handle be aware that there is a difference in depth of the hole. My old barton handles fit my harkens but do not lock as the stud is too short

Plevier

Visit site
11/16" seems to be standard now.
A couple of years ago I bought a pair of old Lewmar winches and found too late that although the 8 point hole in them looked the same at a glance, it was 5/8" :mad:
Seller wouldn't take them back but found me an old handle which just had a square dog not 8 point.
(Luckily through ebay I found a buyer who had similar winches on his boat and was delighted to have them for what I had paid. AWTEW!)

geoid96

Visit site
Thanks people - anybody know where the actual dimensions can be found though?
Lewmar, Harken and Anderson all refer to an international standard 11/16" winch sockets. The 11/16" a/f may be a standard, but I have not been able to find it documented anywhere. I think the size of the star is fairly universal and non-locking winch handles should be fairly interchangable. What appears to be an issue is the depth of the socket and the depth of the locking 'square' on the winch handle. I also had, until it went overboard, what I think was a Barton handle that fitted but would not lock into a Lewmar winch.

Tranona

Visit site
I don't think it is an international standard in the sense of something like an ISO, just that everybody has gravitated to the same size. Depths do vary. The Lewmar locking handles are too deep for the socket on my SL Anchorman windlass for example.

Plevier

Visit site
There is a standard for socket wrenches including 8 point (also called double square) it's ANSI/ASME B107.1-2002
That's the nearest thing I know of.
I made a driver attachment using standard square nuts, several deep with alternate ones turned 45 degrees, it fitted perfectly.