Inter eu passport check.no

BurnitBlue

Visit site
No explanation. Here is what happened to me yesterday, taxi to preveza bus terminal, Ktel to Thessalonki. Ryanair boarding pass to copehagan cph got me to the departure lounge. When boarding my flight to cph another check on boarding pass and passport all normal. However the ryanair boarding employee let me through, but handed my passport to a man in civilian clothes waiting on the other side. He flicked through every page of the passport in a very professional manner. Then he asked if I lived in Sweden and I replied yes I do. He then asked to see my residence card. He compared the card to my passport then said thank you and waved me through. What was that about? I dont think the immigration man was there on my behalf. Not many Brits on a Greek to Denmark plane? What do you think? Notice he said do you live in Sweden not do you live in Denmark.

Last edited:

Davy_S

Visit site
We were stood in the queue at check in at Kefalonia airport last week, a couple who spoke good English were given the third degree, their passports were thoroughly checked and they were asked if they had a pass number to allow them to fly, not sure what nationality they held, we were checked in so did not know the outcome, there were three people arrested yesterday for forged documents trying to fly to Italy, a series of arrests have been made at Greek airports for similar offences, perhaps in your case they were simply checking the same thing was not happening.

doug748

Visit site
No explanation. Here is what happened to me yesterday, taxi to preveza bus terminal, Ktel to Thessalonki. Ryanair boarding pass to copehagan cph got me to the departure lounge. When boarding my flight to cph another check on boarding pass and passport all normal. However the ryanair boarding employee let me through, but handed my passport to a man in civilian clothes waiting on the other side. He flicked through every page of the passport in a very professional manner. Then he asked if I lived in Sweden and I replied yes I do. He then asked to see my residence card. He compared the card to my passport then said thank you and waved me through. What was that about? I dont think the immigration man was there on my behalf. Not many Brits on a Greek to Denmark plane? What do you think? Notice he said do you live in Sweden not do you live in Denmark.

It's displacement behaviour, much like the fussing with British Yachtsmen on the French coast. They know, as we all do, where the immigration problems lie in Europe but there is a top down press to look busy elsewhere. Ignore it.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Do you have a residency stamp in your passport?
No. So new I just recieved it before leaving for Greece. I had even forgot to sign it which was not mentioned. The important point, to me, was there was absolutely nothing on the boarding pass or my passport to even suggest that I lived in Sweden. He did not carry a list like a passenger list. The question about my Swedish residency came from his head so he knew who I was and that info has only two sources. Ryanair, or that benign form I filled out in Spring a spin off from the covid advance permission but without any action like granting permission to visit Greece.

I have even questioned myself whether I remembered the question but I do remember my answer was yes I do, which I certainly would not answer to one about living in Denmark. It only happened yesterdy so I am still puzzled. Also the Ryanair employee, knew he had to hand my passport to this guy. Also while the guy examined my passport, many other people passed through the gate. This now leads me to think that I was targeted. Among others, perhaps. It did change my mind about freedom of movement across borders was wrong (just because there are no border control points)

Last edited:

BurnitBlue

Visit site
!
People doing their job and nations protecting their borders.
How does a Greek immigration border guard protect his country by checking on the people leaving his country.

I am not making a big deal about this, but further thoughts have planted a tiny seed in my mind about the sharing of personal information between different departments that can fester in my mind unless I control my ideas. I love living on this planet and I want to continue to enjoy it. I would like to ignore these events unless they are stuck under my nose like a wiff of smelling salts.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
We were stood in the queue at check in at Kefalonia airport last week, a couple who spoke good English were given the third degree, their passports were thoroughly checked and they were asked if they had a pass number to allow them to fly, not sure what nationality they held, we were checked in so did not know the outcome, there were three people arrested yesterday for forged documents trying to fly to Italy, a series of arrests have been made at Greek airports for similar offences, perhaps in your case they were simply checking the same thing was not happening.
Looks like an EU attempt to break the chain of illegal migrants crossing borders and losing their roots. A bit like people laundering themseves like money laundering.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
No. So new I just recieved it before leaving for Greece. I had even forgot to sign it which was not mentioned. The important point, to me, was there was absolutely nothing on the boarding pass or my passport to even suggest that I lived in Sweden. He did not carry a list like a passenger list. The question about my Swedish residency came from his head so he knew who I was and that info has only two sources. Ryanair, or that benign form I filled out in Spring a spin off from the covid advance permission but without any action like granting permission to visit Greece.

I have even questioned myself whether I remembered the question but I do remember my answer was yes I do, which I certainly would not answer to one about living in Denmark. It only happened yesterdy so I am still puzzled. Also the Ryanair employee, knew he had to hand my passport to this guy. Also while the guy examined my passport, many other people passed through the gate. This now leads me to think that I was targeted. Among others, perhaps. It did change my mind about freedom of movement across borders was wrong (just because there are no border control points)
Welcome to the era of "Big Data". Linking datasets is more and more pervasive, especially databases like passenger lists and immigration. What happened is technically simple, and it is my understanding that airlines are required to make their passenger manifests available to security and immigration.

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
You are a 3rd country citizen with a brand new passport with no stamps in it? And you didn’t present your residency documents with your passport?

You are subject to the Schengen 90/180 rules when out of your country of residence, so of course they will check for entry/exit stamps in the wider Schengen area ... especially if you don't hand over your residency info with your passport. I had the same happen to me when I handed over a new and empty UK passport in Munich without my German passport, and an American friend of mine got a right dressing down from border police for not handing passport and residency over together - they displayed US immigration levels of agression.

I am not in the slightest bit surprised your passport got handed to the second person and questions were asked. You could have been detained while they worked out how long you have been out of Sweden but still in Schengen but they let it slide.

And as @AntarcticPilot said, they knew who you were due to the data available to them ... perhaps they thought your Swedish residency might have expired/been revoked and that was something you were trying to hide? Who knows. I doubt they were out for you though, you were most likely just a lucky find.

Bouba

Visit site
They might be looking for someone....just checking anyone fitting their description. It could be a major criminal or just a dad who took his kids after a split.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
!

How does a Greek immigration border guard protect his country by checking on the people leaving his country.

I am not making a big deal about this, but further thoughts have planted a tiny seed in my mind about the sharing of personal information between different departments that can fester in my mind unless I control my ideas. I love living on this planet and I want to continue to enjoy it. I would like to ignore these events unless they are stuck under my nose like a wiff of smelling salts.
From what you have posted over the last few hours it appears that you might be on a watch list. Border Forces do not publicise what data they share.

I worked with a chap who was not allowed to enter the US of A only because he had visited a country that they were not keen on. His visits there was to do humanitarian work!

Clancy Moped

Visit site
From what you have posted over the last few hours it appears that you might be on a watch list. Border Forces do not publicise what data they share.

I worked with a chap who was not allowed to enter the US of A only because he had visited a country that they were not keen on. His visits there was to do humanitarian work!
I'm on one. My name is as common as muck, e gates never work - go see the man! When I first applied for a mortgage I had to confirm that I wasn't about 200-odd people with the same name who were wanted for various crimes.

Bouba

Visit site
Once the gendarmes came to visit us in our sleepy town because some criminals in Paris used a Volvo the same color as ours....they quizzed us and photographed the car...when they found the Swiss motorway sticker on the windscreen they were super interested

BurnitBlue

Visit site
You are a 3rd country citizen with a brand new passport with no stamps in it? And you didn’t present your residency documents with your passport?

You are subject to the Schengen 90/180 rules when out of your country of residence, so of course they will check for entry/exit stamps in the wider Schengen area ... especially if you don't hand over your residency info with your passport. I had the same happen to me when I handed over a new and empty UK passport in Munich without my German passport, and an American friend of mine got a right dressing down from border police for not handing passport and residency over together - they displayed US immigration levels of agression.

I am not in the slightest bit surprised your passport got handed to the second person and questions were asked. You could have been detained while they worked out how long you have been out of Sweden but still in Schengen but they let it slide.

And as @AntarcticPilot said, they knew who you were due to the data available to them ... perhaps they thought your Swedish residency might have expired/been revoked and that was something you were trying to hide? Who knows. I doubt they were out for you though, you were most likely just a lucky find.
Not even close. I presented my passport to Ryanair (out bound to Greece from CPH in Denmark) because during flight booking they only wanted passport details like date of issue and expiry date and as identity information. They have or had no info from me that I was a resident in Sweden. There is no border control between EU member states that have signed up to Schengen rules. Yes I could have presented Ryanair with my residence card to prove my identity but there is a clear warnlng in Sweden that even a biometric permanent card cannot be used as an identity document and non EU citizens need to carry their passports with at least 3 month validity. The residence card is usefull to get back into Sweden.

I am not sure about all the questions asked when I applied to UK to renew my passport. I am pretty certain that my passport was posted back to me without me suppling residence info. I am sure that the only question was whether I lived in UK in which case they wanted an address to post the replacement passport. I certainly did not give any info about Swedish residency because they did not ask for any.

Perhaps, British passports have been sent to people with no official residence status who just live under the radar or whatever reason and have created a loophole for illegal migrants or British overstays to get a clean passport. That seems the likely reason I was asked for my Residence card. So you were maybe half right. One other admission from me is that I don't know the real truth why a Greek border guard (if that is who he was) was in effect a border control point.

This does not answer why he was stationed on the other side of the flight gate. I surmise that this area is a no-mans land, neither in Greece or Denmark. Who knows? Well I don't but natural curiosity. Maybe the offence was made more serious by crossing a border with false papers rather than simply being picked up in Greece.

Last edited:

footsoldier

Visit site
It is quite clear to me, based on my own lengthy experience as a double agent, that this was not simply a case of border staff just doing their boring routine stuff. They are clearly onto you. Extraordinary rendition and Gitmo are looming. Thank God you still have the suicide pill in your denture.

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
Not even close. I presented my passport to Ryanair (out bound to Greece from CPH in Denmark) because during flight booking they only wanted passport details like date of issue and expiry date and as identity information. They have or had no info from me that I was a resident in Sweden. There is no border control between EU member states that have signed up to Schengen rules. Yes I could have presented Ryanair with my residence card to prove my identity but there is a clear warnlng in Sweden that even a biometric permanent card cannot be used as an identity document and non EU citizens need to carry their passports with at least 3 month validity. The residence card is usefull to get back into Sweden.

I am not sure about all the questions asked when I applied to UK to renew my passport. I am pretty certain that my passport was posted back to me without me suppling residence info. I am sure that the only question was whether I lived in UK in which case they wanted an address to post the replacement passport. I certainly did not give any info about Swedish residency because they did not ask for any.

Perhaps, British passports have been sent to people with no official residence status who just live under the radar or whatever reason and have created a loophole for illegal migrants or British overstays to get a clean passport. That seems the likely reason I was asked for my Residence card. So you were maybe half right. One other admission from me is that I don't know the real truth why a Greek border guard (if that is who he was) was in effect a border control point.

This does not answer why he was stationed on the other side of the flight gate. I surmise that this area is a no-mans land, neither in Greece or Denmark. Who knows? Well I don't but natural curiosity. Maybe the offence was made more serious by crossing a border with false papers rather than simply being picked up in Greece.

A carrier is obliged to check that every passenger they carry has valid documentation for the country they are delivering the individual to, even on EU internal flights as each country is still a sovereign nation with its own border control laws. Ryanair will get fined if they transport anyone without valid travel documentation.

If you read the link above to the border guards handbook, the checks on 3rd country nationals are more thorough than the checks on EU nationals. Including ...

Border guards may also consult other national and Interpol databases.

The checks against the relevant databases may be carried out in advance on the basis of passenger data received in accordance with Directive 2004/82/EC or in accordance with other Union or national law. Where those checks are carried out in advance on the basis of such passenger information data, the data received in advance, must be checked at the border crossing point against the data in the travel document. The identity and the nationality of the person concerned, as well as the authenticity and the validity of the travel document for crossing the border, must also be verified.

Ryanair are also sharing their passenger data because they are required to, the EU has agreed on a system to share airline passenger details. The Passenger Name Record (PNR) system allows access to passenger information including names, contact details and credit cards.
Details are collected from European carrier flights entering or leaving the EU - as well as from those between member countries. This is most probably how they got your details.

Border and law enforcement - advance passenger information (API) - revised rules

Maybe they were told to check you by Greek border control when they received the Advanced Passenger Information, or maybe Denmark decided to do it themselves. Who knows.