Insurance survey cost - what should I expect?

fredrussell

Visit site
Hi all. Had a quote of £600 to get an insurance survey done on my 1991 31ft GRP sloop. Seems a lot to me. My pre-purchase survey was £400 three years ago - I’ve always assumed an insurance survey should be less than a pre-purchase survey , or have I got that wrong?
If anyone has had one done recently I’d be interested to know what it cost.

Last edited:

dgadee

Visit site
It would be better if they gave you a questionnaire to fill in and take pics to self substantiate it. One insurer does that and I have been thinking of moving.

Plum

Visit site
Hi all. Had a quote of £600 to get an insurance survey done on my 1991 31ft GRP sloop. Seems a lot to me. My pre-purchase survey was £400 three years ago - I’ve always assumed an insurance survey should be less than a pre-purchase survey , or have I got that wrong?
Have you tried getting an insurance quote from another company that does not ask for a survey? Haven Knox-Johnston have never asked me for a survey (boat is 1990) and, different occasion, Topsail asked for photographs of specific parts/systems.

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

coopec

N/A
Visit site
Well I'm in Australia and I have just had an insurance survey done. It cost me $A1000 but he had to travel 130km to view the yacht.

I now have a problem: the marina wants third party cover to start as soon as the yacht is on the marina complex. The insurance company is offering cover from the time the yacht is successfully launched. Nothing is straight-forward:rolleyes:

Tranona

Visit site
Why are they asking? Normally a 3 year old survey should be sufficient unless something has changed since then such that the insurer wants confirmation that the boat is still sound and worth what you are asking to be covered.

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
Well I'm in Australia and I have just had an insurance survey done. It cost me $A1000 but he had to travel 130km to view the yacht.

I now have a problem: the marina wants third party cover to start as soon as the yacht is on the marina complex. The insurance company is offering cover from the time the yacht is successfully launched. Nothing is straight-forward:rolleyes:
Your haulier should be insured for damage to both your boat and third parties, as should the the crane operator. don't you have the boat insured already?

Tranona

Visit site
Have you tried getting an insurance quote from another company that does not ask for a survey? Haven Knox-Johnston have never asked me for a survey (boat is 1990) and, different occasion, Topsail asked for photographs of specific parts/systems.

You can't generalise. You don't say for example whether it is a boat you already own or buying, nor whether you are asking for a new quote. I have been insured by both of those and with an existing boat, neither have asked for a survey for either a new policy, nor continuing. However when I bought a different boat, both required a survey.

This is how it should be, assessing the risk on an individual basis. Of course they must have guidelines to identify when they would require a survey, accept an existing one or just a report for example. With my current boat I started with the insurance survey when I bought it, submitted a report on work done to get in commission cover then submitted a further report with broker valuation to increase the insured value.

PaulRainbow

Visit site

I changed my boat last year, previous boat was insured with Topsail (still in my ownership at that time), they would not insure the "new" one without a survey, neither would HKJ, who wouldn't even give me a quote without a survey.

The boat had a 5 year old survey, neither of the above would accept it. Tried other companies, same result.

fredrussell

Visit site
Just an update- have found an insurer that don’t require a survey until boat is 35 years old - which at least means I won’t need one done for three years. Still ploughing through the terms and conditions but will almost certainly go with them.

Crinan12

Visit site
JGW insurance insisting on a 10 year survey for my boat this year. Getting an Oban based company to do it. £500. 28ft yacht.

coopec

N/A
Visit site
Your haulier should be insured for damage to both your boat and third parties, as should the the crane operator. don't you have the boat insured already?
That is soooo logical. Of course the haulage contractor should have insurance. The marina should be responsible for damage done by their Tammy Lift and therefore should have insurance.

Imagine If damage was done to a million dollar yacht by the marina crane driver dropping my yacht on top of it. Would the marina be able to wipe their hands clear of it?

How do I explain that to the two person marina management? (I think I'll have to go over their heads without upsetting them if that is possible)

dgadee

Visit site
JGW insurance insisting on a 10 year survey for my boat this year. Getting an Oban based company to do it. £500. 28ft yacht.
I just renewed after they said I could have 11 years. Contact them. They have always been reasonable to deal with.