Insurance survey cost - what should I expect?

dansaskip

seabear.uk
JGW insurance insisting on a 10 year survey for my boat this year. Getting an Oban based company to do it. £500. 28ft yacht.
Also with JGW and 10 year survey wanted. Cost me £346 for my 28ft so I would have thought £500 a bit steep. After all it is about a days work doing a survey and writing the report - and not a long day at that!

Tranona

Visit site
That is soooo logical. Of course the haulage contractor should have insurance. The marina should be responsible for damage done by their Tammy Lift and therefore should have insurance.

Imagine If damage was done to a million dollar yacht by the marina crane driver dropping my yacht on top of it. Would the marina be able to wipe their hands clear of it?

How do I explain that to the two person marina management? (I think I'll have to go over their heads without upsetting them if that is possible)
The problem with third party insurance which the haulier and yard/crane operator has is that a claim has to show negligence on their part. Third party insurance on your boat only covers damage done to others due to YOUR negligence. It really does make sense to insure a valuable item like your new boat with an "all risks" policy for an agreed value. That is you will be able to claim irrespective of who was negligent and leave the insurer to claim against the party that caused the damage.

This is exactly what I did with my new boat to cover the period of transport from Germany to the UK even though the haulier had cover. There are all sorts of situations where your boat could be damaged where the haulier was not negligent, for example if another vehicle hit his, or a bridge collapsed, or the wind blew the rig over. Such situations are of course rare, but the consequences severe. Exactly why you need all risks insurance on a high value item. It is cheap. £500 for a year's cover on my £100k boat, including the third party element and the period in transit.

Tranona

Visit site
I think negligence is not required to be demonstrated
Yes it does. Plenty of case law where claims by third parties have failed because negligence could not be proved.

The key thing here is that third party boat insurance would not be relevant if the damage was caused by the negligence of the driver. If he was uninsured you would have to claim on him direct. however if you had all risks insurance you could claim on your own insurance (which is a contract) rather than rely on tort which covers third party claims. Your insurer would then recover what they could from the third party.