Inogon or moire light

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
I don't understand the conclusion of the video that the use of the light he is standing next to is being used in a "really weird" way to stop mariners anchoring on an undersea cable. To me, that sounds like an excellent application of the technology. :confused:

Richard

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
I don't understand the conclusion of the video that the use of the light he is standing next to is being used in a "really weird" way to stop mariners anchoring on an undersea cable. To me, that sounds like an excellent application of the technology. :confused:

Richard

Odd I thought the one in Southampton Water was a trial. It looks like a leading line but it is oriented at 90 degrees to the main channel.

prv

Visit site
Odd I thought the one in Southampton Water was a trial. It looks like a leading line but it is oriented at 90 degrees to the main channel.

It's oriented precisely over the oil pipeline (not undersea cable) that crosses the channel :)

Pete

JohnGC

Visit site

Richard

What we should conclude is that he knows very little about navigation at sea. After all, he didn't know anything about the lights until he used Google.

Still an interesting presentation though.

John

johnalison

Visit site
The film didn't stream properly for me but there is something similar at Shotley. To be honest, and reuse a tired cliche, I find it harder to use than a traditional transit of posts or leading marks, but I can see that it has its uses.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
When entering St Peter Port the alternating colours exhibited by the lighthouse briefly fooled us into thinking we were on the edge of the red/white sectors of a sectored light marking the approach to the port. :eek:

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
The film didn't stream properly for me but there is something similar at Shotley. To be honest, and reuse a tired cliche, I find it harder to use than a traditional transit of posts or leading marks, but I can see that it has its uses.

Not similar, exactly that. Each to their own :D but I find it much easier to use

prv

Visit site
Nothing really - just thought that for a leading line the arrows would point towards the safe water and if they are marking a hazard perhaps they should point away from it.

Perhaps they only sell an inward-pointing version off the shelf?

Either way, it would still be oriented at 90° to the channel, though.

Pete

weustace

Visit site
It's always struck me as a clever idea, though if Mr Scott's history is accurate it would seem the good old leading light won. I have only seen the one at Shotley, but will have to look out for the Southampton model at the next opportunity—otherwise just greetings cards etc!

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I didn't know they weren't known.

I was using the one at Shotley only yesterday - it's helpful in avoiding being swept out of the dredged channel in the approach to the marina by the tide (or overcompensating in the other direction).

I've just checked and Shotley's website refers to it (erroneously according to the video) as an Inogen light.

I've seen at least one somewhere else, but can't remember where.

{151760}

Visit site
To my embarrassment, I've never noticed the Southampton Water one. But then I've never tried to anchor there. iSailor has it marked as a yellow directional light. When you go further in on the 'info' tag it calls it a Moire effect light. There is a clearly marked restricted area either side of the pipeline, so the directional light makes sense in that context, telling you to proceed away from the restricted area.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
To my embarrassment, I've never noticed the Southampton Water one. But then I've never tried to anchor there. iSailor has it marked as a yellow directional light. When you go further in on the 'info' tag it calls it a Moire effect light. There is a clearly marked restricted area either side of the pipeline, so the directional light makes sense in that context, telling you to proceed away from the restricted area.

Can you tell whether the light marking the pipeline has the arrows directing mariners away from either side of the pipe i.e. < >, or do the arrows point towards the pipe i.e. > < as mentioned above?

Richard

{151760}

Visit site
Can you tell whether the light marking the pipeline has the arrows directing mariners away from either side of the pipe i.e. < >, or do the arrows point towards the pipe i.e. > < as mentioned above?

Richard

It doesn't indicate that on iSailor. When the boat's back in in April, I'll go and have a look:).