Inflatable dingy weight.

munster1967

Visit site
Hi folks.
What's the maximum weight you would imagine a dingy could be to lift reasonably comfortably in and out of a car and into water. The one Im looking at is 33 kg. Or 72 lbs. ??

wonkywinch

Visit site
I always think of this in "bags of cement" which weigh 25kg.

This seems manageable and probably why they don't sell 30kg bags. More than 25kg always seems heavy and needs 2 people to safely manage.

Airlines also generally limit bags to 23kg or 32kg for premium pax and will tag bags "Heavy" for safety of baggage handlers if over 23kg due to recommended HSE limits of 25kg.

Refueler

Visit site
Its not only weight - but the shape / size that kills me ... whether rolled up / in bag or whatever.

I started off with great intention of in / out of car when needed ... that soon changed !! Ended up finding a slot to store it near inflated in the club ... now having moved to Latvia - it used to stay inflated in my channel ... but now sits in the garage ...

jwilson

Visit site
I have two - one 2.9 metres airdeck and the other similar but 3.1 metres. Both weigh about 40+ Kg and although pretty ancient (me not the dinghies) I can lift them in and out of car but prefer help. Can also carry them inflated alone but prefer not to.

justanothersailboat

Visit site
Mine is a naff basic kind and is 30kg. It seems much worse to carry than something like a cement bag not so much for the extra 5kg as the bulk - it doesn't roll up all that small so the centre of gravity is always further away and it's always trying to swing in a bad direction. The main manoeuvre I don't like about it is getting it up the companionway, as the bag has to go edge-on and wants to roll any way but up and gets stuck. Getting it back down is nearly as bad because of having to lift it over the edge. It's these annoying sticking points that make it a problem, not when there's clear space. Getting it out of the water into the cockpit seems easy by comparison. Having concluded a dinghy is only as stowable as the worst lift I have to do with it, I am looking at alternatives.

Grumpydev

Visit site
Its not only weight - but the shape / size that kills me ... whether rolled up / in bag or whatever.

I started off with great intention of in / out of car when needed ... that soon changed !! Ended up finding a slot to store it near inflated in the club ... now having moved to Latvia - it used to stay inflated in my channel ... but now sits in the garage ...

Size / shape definitely makes a big difference. We have a Zodiac Aero 270 air floor, and packed up in its bag I can lift and and move it on my own easily enough - wouldn't want to wear it as a backpack, but it's fine for getting it in and out of the big boat/storage.

When it's inflated it's more of a "drag and lift", and when it's partially inflated but not yet in its bag it's a right pain to move.

I intend to get some fold out dingy wheels for the back, then I'd be happy moving it on my own fully inflated or deflated.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I remember mauling old Redstarts or Redcrests forget which in their sodden green canvas bags in and out of deck lockers they didn't do my back any good and I quickly graduated to a lighter more modern inflatable which was kept rolled up in a purpose made bag and cover on deck. The idea of lugging one about in and out of cars very quickly died.

bedouin

Visit site
I used to have an inflatable that weighed about 32kg and had no problems lifting that in and out of the car - it is important to have good hand holds to make the lifting position comfortable / safe.

B27

Visit site
I'm not sure exactly what mine weighs, but moving a rolled-up inflatable from the cockpit locker, along the side deck past the shrouds and sprayhood is a lot more awkward than getting it out of a car boot on dry land.

Why does the transom have to be such an immense chunk of plywood? I've only got a 2HP motor!

We can beach it and 2 of us carry it up a sandy beach complete with motor, oars, etc. No problem ashore.

dunedin

Visit site
The biggest variable is not the dinghy weight but the person doing the lifting? Age, body weight, strength, back issues etc.

The sailmaker picks up my sail bags like they were bags of feathers and tosses them in the boot of my car without a thought. I struggle to lift them out and into a marina trolley - and use the electric halyard winch to get on board.

rotrax

Visit site
We blued the dosh and purchased a Talamex Superlight 230.

14 kilos, so a doddle, by comparison to our previous 32 kilo job.

Not so dry due to smaller diameter tubes, but it is proving to be a good compromise as the crew ages.

ylop

Visit site
Hi folks.
What's the maximum weight you would imagine a dingy could be to lift reasonably comfortably in and out of a car and into water. The one Im looking at is 33 kg. Or 72 lbs. ??
Id agree with everyone here anything over 23-25kg certainly starts to be awkward even if not impossible. Do you have two people? If not then anything bigger is probably overkill anyway? It will also make it more likely that you need a bigger engine. Then you have a car full of dinghy and outboard and nowhere for other stuff…. One day someone will create a dinghy that weights 20kg, fits 4 adults, works with a 2.5HP engine, rows Ok, takes up the minimum space and is easy to fold/pack and set up. That person will be rich!

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
We blued the dosh and purchased a Talamex Superlight 230.

14 kilos, so a doddle, by comparison to our previous 32 kilo job.

Not so dry due to smaller diameter tubes, but it is proving to be a good compromise as the crew ages.
I eventually ended up with an Avon 280 Airdeck with a 6hp Suzuki neither of which were taken off the boat, both heavy but I arranged the boat to cope with them, crane for the engine, lifting bridle for the inflatable and a set of wheels for when we made shore or beach landings. Whilst not effortless it was and even now would be easily manageable.

munster1967

Visit site
Id agree with everyone here anything over 23-25kg certainly starts to be awkward even if not impossible. Do you have two people? If not then anything bigger is probably overkill anyway? It will also make it more likely that you need a bigger engine. Then you have a car full of dinghy and outboard and nowhere for other stuff…. One day someone will create a dinghy that weights 20kg, fits 4 adults, works with a 2.5HP engine, rows Ok, takes up the minimum space and is easy to fold/pack and set up. That person will be rich!
Thank you for your reply. And useful information 🙂

KompetentKrew

Visit site
I have a Honwave 2.7IE and find it is 33kg. It is heavy and cumbersome - I have managed on my own to lift it in and out of vehicles and onto my boat but was surprised what a struggle it is. I would be reluctant to have a smaller dinghy though, unless I was confident I'd always be solo. On two occasions I've been in 2.4m dinghies with 3 people and don't find it acceptable.

Last edited:

munster1967

Visit site
I have a Honwave 2.7IE and find it is 33kg. It is heavy and cumbersome - I have managed on my own to lift it in and out of vehicles and onto my boat but was surprised what a struggle it is. I would be reluctant to have a smaller dingy though, unless I was confident I'd always be solo. On two occasions I've been in 2.4m dinghies with 3 people and don't find it acceptable.
Thank you for your reply and information.