Inconsiderate MOBO's

Sailfree

Visit site
Inconsiderate MOBO\'s

I always think there is room for both Raggies and MOBO's and am saddened by inferred criticism of MOBO's with comments of good riddance to red diesel if it gets rid of MOBO's but I am changing my mind.

When approaching the outer red buoy at Cowes last Saturday at approx 15.30 at sports type boat overtook me at about 25kts with bow in air and massive wake behind on my starboard side about 40'away to do a U turn in front of me and pass down the port side in a similar manner. I assumed it was just a case of showing off.

We were violently rocked from side to side and many items thrown around. There were other adjacent boats similarly affected. I am aware how difficult for planing boats to steer at slow speed and how congested the Solent can be but this incident last Saturday was completly unnecessay and just some MOBO just behaving like a total pr**t.

Apart from find out his berth and opening his seacocks is the best thing to note his name and report the incident on here or can one report them to a higher authority. While not in itself a dangerous manoeuvre had someone been making tea below it could have resulted in an accident. I suppose the shear unnecessaryness of the action annoys - bit like purposely driving into kerb puddles at speed to soak the pedestrians as if to make the point I can afford a car while you are walking!!

Spars

Visit site
Re: Inconsiderate MOBO\'s

I believe they're motorists getting rid of their road rage and equally frustrated at the likes of us who use this mysterious power of the Gods!

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk

Sorry to hear this, as someone who both sails and mobos.

I guess you can report him to Cowes Harbourmaster though I'm not sure what they can do other than give him a dressing down. If he was outside the outer red buoy, the speed limit doesn't strictly apply but bad seamanship is bad seamanship, whoever is guilty of it. Yes, larger mobos are tricky to move below a certain speed, because even at tick-over they may be doing 6 or 7 knots. However, it is possible to slip in and out of gear to maintain steerage way and this kind of behaviour (which I, too, have seen) is inexcusable.

If nothing else, let us know the name of this plonker so that I can go alongside him and demonstrate my legendary "boat-handling" skills on his gelcoat. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

flaming

Visit site

Sadly there are also idiots in sailing boats. There are idiots in cars too, and many rude and inconsiderate people walking on pavements in large cities.

It's just annoying when it's you that's on the receiving end isn't it!? Of late i've just taken to consoling myself with the sure knowledge that I'm a better person than the idiots! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sailfree

Visit site

Thanks.

When I bought my first big boat, the first berthing was in Ocean Village and we went alongside a MOBO. I warned him of my inexperience and without any criticism he just shouted back "Don't worry just pass us your ropes you are well fendered"

They later invited us on board their palacial MOBO and were interested in seeing our cramped 36'. He remarked that "stickboats" normally ignored MOBO's. From such a friendly welcome I thought I would make sure I never descriminated against MOBO's and would be equally friendly to both but incidents like last weekend are spoiling the memory of the very friendly first boat owner we met who happened to own a MOBO.

SailorFrank

Visit site

As another raggie and mobo sorry! The speed limit in Cowes actually extends to Prince Consort although it is not enforced, if this boat is based in Cowes best thing would be to have a word with stuart (a very good HM) you can find his details at cowes.co.uk

gjgm

Visit site

well, I would chill out a bit. Its not just mobo to sail;sometimes big mobos seem to forget smaller mobos too.
It can be a bit subjective, and not always easy to judge, and that can lead to unhappiness.
Unfortunately there are occasions were it should have been obvious- all one can hope for is that people learn.

DRANNIE

Visit site

Only really objectionable mobo incident I had was motoring past the chain ferry (up the medina through cowes) on a 38ft pronavia, we had to head towards the middle holding up a big mobo behind us,(he was behind not overtaking) the other side we pulled in towards the pontoons to ensure he could overtake. Expecting a friendly wave we got a finger and a tirade of abuse which I thought was a bit out of order. i wish I'd got his boat name, if you don't like lots of yachts in the way, they aren't going to cancel round the island weekend to accomodate your hassle free MOBOing.

other than that I have always suspected its necessity or ignorance rather than genuinely malicious. Bit like my really noisy outboard at 6 in the morning. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ValleyForge

Visit site

IMGP4425.jpg

Wouldn't give us any ice for the Rakki. Damned inconsiderate. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Bermuda flagged. BTB

PeterGibbs

Visit site

I used to turn my head away from these sorts of things and enjoy the sun etc. But that doesn't produce a desirable change of behaviour by the offending party....does it?

If you feel really motivated, how about assembling a group of fit looking friends and visit the offending boat at its moorings.

An overly polite conversation with the skipper could ensue, which will either elicit a "sorry, blokes, won't happen again" or a "naff off, who'd do think..."

You might then just have a container of suitable liquid to hand -perhaps micturation is the right term - that would go into his nice saloon. He won't do it again....

PWG

castaway

uk.groups.yahoo.com

We;; I'm surprised that you are surprised!! Most of us are conditioned to live with with the element of MOBO ers that never look over their shoulders to see the raggies and moored boats bouncing in their wake.

We all know nice MOBOers but the evidence speaks for its self and there is an element that is very inconsiderate. This includes the boats that pass my mooring on the half plane when they think no one is looking.....watch out 'cause next year I'm going to video 'em and sent it to QHM .

I go down to the water to enjoy a it of peace and quiet, and my activity does not encroach on others, why should I have to put up with other peoples footprint bothering me? The same philosophy applies to noisy radios on the beach or poorly silenced model aircraft or unsilenced motorbikes in the woods near by where I live.

I happen to like all the above (including MOBOs) I just don't like some of the owners

Regds Nick

Csail

N/A
Visit site

I love any type of boat but generally prefer sail. What p1553s me right off is when Mobos come powering past so quick & close. Is there any need to come so close. Good one recently was one that anoyed me so we kind of blocked his escape off the pontoon, obviously no bow thruster and he was well stuck! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Victorious

Visit site

There are just as many total jerks at the helm of sailboats.
So why dont raggies attract more flack?
With minimal wash and a max of about 6k (if they ever learn how to trim the flappy things)..
Thier effect on others is far less noticeable than the wash and smog of every jerk in a Mobo within half mile radius

Was going to duck... but cant be bothered

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie

At first sight - Looks like the charge of the light brigade, BUT ...
DSCF1329.JPG

Considerate Mobo's - 10 mins later nice lads slow down passing raggies enjoying the scenery /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
DSCF1372.JPG

flaming

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually don't think that's true. There's no doubt they exist but there is a bigger barrier to sailing than there is driving a MOBO. I think there are probably a few more idiots in MOBOs.

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually don't think that's true. There's no doubt they exist but there is a bigger barrier to sailing than there is driving a MOBO. I think there are probably a few more idiots in MOBOs.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I don't think that's true, and then you don't think I'm right and...

Jerks exist in all walks of life, adjust to cope. Apparently some realty TV and soap opera watchers are allowed boats so they must be toerags of the first magnitude:)

michael_w

Visit site

Oooh! Skelig Michael. Or is it the Blaskets? Can I go there soon? Can I have a pint of Uncle Arthur's best?

Well, when the sun's shining. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif