Votes: 275 50.8%
  • OUT

Votes: 266 49.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Niander

Visit site
Congratulations to the "Leave" supporters!

Next you can focus on taking England out of the UK. Then you will truly have your sovereignty back.

Thanks very much..Stayed up all night watching it...we were worried about the Scots though as they mainly were voting to stay in they they could of kept England in !
As it is now looks like they will also get their own independence from the UK.

Biggles Wader

Visit site
After months of hot air from both sides we have a result.Both sides have done the talk the talk bit but only one side will have to walk the walk.Lets see what they have got.

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
After months of hot air from both sides we have a result.Both sides have done the talk the talk bit but only one side will have to walk the walk.Lets see what they have got.

What they have is a country that has just lost £240 billion, overnight, this means that the old people who voted out and will not live long enough to see the effect of their vote, have seen the value of their pensions being reduced. The council estates, the idle and the self unemployed people will be getting even less benefits, which is a good thing in this case. The next government will realise that there is only one way and this in the EU which means that the UK will be OUT in paper but IN in every other way and naturally a bit poorer. Also, it is important to have a strong government but equally as important to have a strong opposition, in this case Labour under Corbyn was an embarrassment. It is understandable that the two million Brits who have jobs in the EU, mainly in the Med countries, will feel very nervous. Is the overseas yachting industry going to be affected? very likely as we Brits will have less money to spend sailing in the Med.

Capt Popeye

Visit site
What they have is a country that has just lost £240 billion, overnight, this means that the old people who voted out and will not live long enough to see the effect of their vote, have seen the value of their pensions being reduced. The council estates, the idle and the self unemployed people will be getting even less benefits, which is a good thing in this case. The next government will realise that there is only one way and this in the EU which means that the UK will be OUT in paper but IN in every other way and naturally a bit poorer. Also, it is important to have a strong government but equally as important to have a strong opposition, in this case Labour under Corbyn was an embarrassment. It is understandable that the two million Brits who have jobs in the EU, mainly in the Med countries, will feel very nervous. Is the overseas yachting industry going to be affected? very likely as we Brits will have less money to spend sailing in the Med.

Jeeps; ................... as we Brits will have less money to spend sailing in the Med

SO the loosers are not us in the UK are we ?

interloper

Visit site
In his Brexit victory speech, I might have expected Boris Johnson to say something to the effect that no time should be lost in implementing the people's decision. Instead, he said the following.

"In voting to leave the EU, it is vital to stress there is no need for haste, and as the prime minister has said, nothing will change in the short term except how to give effect to the will of the people and to extricate this country from the supranational system. There is no need to invoke Article 50."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/24/boris-johnson-hails-brexit-victory---full-statement/

This is in sharp contrast to statements made by Angela Merkel and other European leaders that Britain should implement the Brexit decision as quickly as possible.

Poignard

Visit site
In his Brexit victory speech, I might have expected Boris Johnson to say something to the effect that no time should be lost in implementing the people's decision. Instead, he said the following.

"In voting to leave the EU, it is vital to stress there is no need for haste, and as the prime minister has said, nothing will change in the short term except how to give effect to the will of the people and to extricate this country from the supranational system. There is no need to invoke Article 50."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/24/boris-johnson-hails-brexit-victory---full-statement/

This is in sharp contrast to statements made by Angela Merkel and other European leaders that Britain should implement the Brexit decision as quickly as possible.
Perhaps Boris is beginning to realise that he is about to be given a poisoned chalice.

A majority of Tory MPs wished us to remain in the EU; big business wanted it; a great many Tory voters wanted it; Londoners wanted it.

This exit process is going to be messy and complicated. It can't be done in a hurry and it won't be long before 'white van man' wants to know why borders haven't been closed and immigrants deported.

And there's the question of his legacy. As leader of the Tory party it is he and not Cameron who will go down in history as the Prime Minister that took us out of Europe and if that turns out to have been the biggest mistake......

Last edited by a moderator:

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
Is the UK going to leave the EU on the basis that a non binding referendum with no convincing majority and therefore, marginal lead for OUT?; the country is obviously split and therefore we should have a new prime minister to re-think, review and negotiate in order to stay IN the EU. You don't take a country out on a marginal decision, this was not a vote for a government on a 4/5 year term, this is a move that will determine the future for the next half century and beyond.

Last edited:

gregcope

Visit site
When Scotland leaves the union, which is appears is quite probable considering the aging demographic, will we all need all ensigns?

As will the Union Jack not lose its blue parts and hence so will the ensign?

Niander

Visit site
So your actually trying to say that 1,269,501 is not a convincing majority?
Almost 1.27 million.....the British people have spoken the EU had its chance and it totally underestimated the feeling of the British people..It did nothing to resolve the concerns of the majority in this country therefore its now over...Sorry you cannot have another go at changing the result because you don't like it.

Beyondhelp

www.aboardmyboat.com
Almost 1.27 million.....the British people have spoken the EU had its chance and it totally underestimated the feeling of the British people..It did nothing to resolve the concerns of the majority in this country therefore its now over...Sorry you cannot have another go at changing the result because you don't like it.

3-4% is not in any way a large majority.

smartmove2014

Visit site
3-4% is not in any way a large majority.

It's done and decided, everyone knew the rules when it came to the referendum and now just because some don't like the result (or didn't think it was a possibility) doesn't mean we change the rules and try it all over again. Now let's just get the paperwork done and move forward...... It won't be all doom and gloom like the scaremongers were trying to implant in everyone's heads. Short term pain, long term gain.

interloper

Visit site
Some are experiencing REGREXIT.

http://theslot.jezebel.com/man-who-voted-for-brexit-is-a-bit-shocked-his-vote-coun-1782553004

"I’m a bit shocked to be honest. I’m shocked that we actually have voted to Leave, I didn’t think that was going to happen.

"My vote, I didn’t think was going to matter too much because I thought we were just going to Remain, and the David Cameron resignation has blown me away to be honest.

"I think the period of uncertainty that we’re going to have for the next couple of months, that’s just been magnified now.

"So yeah, quite worried."

AndrewfromFal

Visit site
It's done and decided, everyone knew the rules when it came to the referendum and now just because some don't like the result (or didn't think it was a possibility) doesn't mean we change the rules and try it all over again. Now let's just get the paperwork done and move forward...... It won't be all doom and gloom like the scaremongers were trying to implant in everyone's heads. Short term pain, long term gain.
Unfortunately two of the leaders of the OUT campaign have already rowed back on two of the key pledges that OUTERS voted for; more money for the NHS (Farage on Good Morning Britain yesterday) and an end to 'immigrants coming over here stealing our jobs' (Hannan on Newsnight last night); so you might get a fair portion of people who voted out wondering whether they been duped into what is actually an Ultra-Capitalist Libertarian takeover, which assuming they understood what implications of this were, they in all probability would not have voted for in a million years.

smartmove2014

Visit site
Unfortunately two of the leaders of the OUT campaign have already rowed back on two of the key pledges that OUTERS voted for; more money for the NHS (Farage on Good Morning Britain yesterday) and an end to 'immigrants coming over here stealing our jobs' (Hannan on Newsnight last night); so you might get a fair portion of people who voted out wondering whether they been duped into what is actually an Ultra-Capitalist Libertarian takeover, which assuming they understood what implications of this were, they in all probability would not have voted for in a million years.

I for one certainly didn't expect £350 mil to be pumped into the NHS, I took that as more of an example of the type of money that could be saved from being sent to Brussels and instead spent here in the UK. I also didn't expect a complete block on immigration, I would however expect far better controls on who and how many can come in. We shall see.

Suggesting that there should be a change to referendum rules AFTER the referendum has been run sounds to be me like someone is just trying to tamper with a democratic process until they get the result they wanted. Shall we just say best of 3 and be done with it? ;)

Poignard

Visit site
You're right in saying that the result of Thursday's referendum can't be changed but there is no constitutional or legal reason why another can't be held. It isn't up to you!

One of the moans from you Brixiters is that our legislature has lost its authority. Well it hasn't. The doctrine of Parliamentary Sovereignty still applies and our Parliament can legislate on anything it likes, and they cannot bind their successors. If our Parliament decides we stay in the EU, then we stay.

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site

It was a very convincing "Protest vote" which from what I see so far, people are regretting it already. Can you really take the country OUT on a marginal majority; this is not an election vote, this a referendum that will have an everlasting effect and you need a convincing majority and the full support of the people,

dom

Visit site
I supported Remain and lost; so out it is.

Financial markets reacted quickly and UK domestic stocks were tonked yesterday, in particular banks and house-builders. These moves were offset by a much better performance among exporters which earn a significant portion of their revenues in foreign currency.

Whereas financial markets act in real time, the economy at large moves more slowly and the housing market will be hit next. Uncertainty amongst foreign buyers will cause them to pull back, or at the very least pause for a while. Tightening credit (a corollary of stressed banks) will make mortgages more expensive. An unpleasant recession punctuated by falling house prices is all but inevitable; jobs will be lost and the youngest will be hardest hit – not just in the UK, right across Europe.

Yet I am not in the least disheartened. First, I take my hat off to the British spirit which rejected the EU project in principle, even if the decision comes at a significant short-term economic cost. I'm Irish and some time ago we too broke away from Britain; the country was in a bad way for a while but gradually got its act together and today we are a prosperous country which gets along great with the UK. BTW, expect to see Ireland block any attempt to hardball the UK into a fast EU exit and expect to see the resistance build up as early as next week. We've got a veto too :rolleyes:

And that takes me to the second reason. I work in a London based firm and have no interest in winding down the business or laying people off. No surprises that we had a firm-wide meeting yesterday to discuss business possibilities all over the world, some of which we have not pursued due to pure laziness. Yet one could not help but be aroused at the drive and zeal which just poured out of the younger folk. We recently did a day out at one of the British aircraft museums and it was amazing to see how deep inside the boys and girls of today possess the very same spirit as the old WWII pilots and engineers. I would like to thank those cosseted Eurocrats for releasing it yesterday with their volley of nasty threats.

Now this Brexit thing has started, the UK needs to win the day and I think it can. The utter folly of the EU in responding to a declaration of independence with a declaration of economic war is beyond comprehension. Yet it’s a conflict Britain can win, helped by the fact that droves of EU citizens secretly despise the EU. Moreover their own prosperity and freedom is best served by ending this nonsense. For example, whereas British banks were hammered yesterday, the Italian banking system is in flames.

Yet despite all of this, deep down I personally feel more upbeat than I could have ever imagined just a week ago!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.