Votes: 275 50.8%
  • OUT

Votes: 266 49.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Niander

Visit site
Re: Carrot & stick - but where's the carrot?

There are now 3 million migrants in the UK if we stay in there will be a hell of a lot more heading our way!......
Net migration from other EU countries could reach a massive 320,000 every year by 2035 if Brussels freedom-of-movement rules are given to Turkish citizens, according to research from the think tank Migration Watch.

Around 100,000 Turks could be expected to head for Britain in the immediate aftermath of their country getting full Brussels free-movement rights, the report estimated.

Once non-EU migrants are included in the forecast, the figure rises to a staggering 7.1million more migrants by 2035.

And even without Turkish entry into the EU, immigration is set to reach a level that will have "serious consequences for our population and our quality of life", Migration Watch warned.

I'm a skilled welder but am over 50 years ,when i was in Campeltown i couldn't get a job at the windtower factory....they had a load of EU welders
Now im in Whitby same thing at the shipyard...a load of EU welders
BS when they say they don't take our jobs then!

Lets get the hell out ...Its our only chance!

TiggerToo

Visit site

I'm a skilled welder but am over 50 years ,when i was in Campeltown i couldn't get a job at the windtower factory....they had a load of EU welders

let me get this right: you were a Scot, born and bred in Campbeltown, Argyll and Bute, UK (did I get this right?). You the MIGRATED east and down across the border to Whitby. So you went to "take the jobs" off the good people of God's Own Country (Yorkshire). What makes you think you had a right to do that? Same applies to the "load of EU welders"...

(or it may have been the other way round, if you are a Yorkie who went across to Argyll and Bute to steal jobs from our good scottie friends... same argument applies).

Daydream believer

Visit site

let me get this right: you were a Scot, born and bred in Campbeltown, Argyll and Bute, UK (did I get this right?). You the MIGRATED east and down across the border to Whitby. So you went to "take the jobs" off the good people of God's Own Country (Yorkshire). What makes you think you had a right to do that? Same applies to the "load of EU welders"...

(or it may have been the other way round, if you are a Yorkie who went across to Argyll and Bute to steal jobs from our good scottie friends... same argument applies).

No. He is a British worker who got on norman tebits bike in Britain
It is a fair bet that he accepts British customs, abides by British ways, abides by british law & probably pays british taxes when he actual gets work. It is also a fair bet that ( scottish accent accepted) he speaks in a british toogue in public & accepts women as equals & does not wear a bag over his head ( except when doing the local post office)
He probably does not insist on stopping work to pray for 2 hours every day, but only to drink tea. Does not shop in a polish shop & does not congregate in high streets in groups staring at white women making them feel uneasy when they walk past to co shopping. Does not jump the housing queue unless he has a mate who he can bung a few bob to help him out. Does not insist on people of the same nationality or colour present the news on tv because some twit feels he might feel dissadvantaged.does not waste the time of various small businesses on trumped up race relations claims just to get money from them on false charges

Last edited:

TiggerToo

Visit site

It is a fair bet that he accepts British customs, abides by British ways, abides by british law & probably pays british taxes when he actual gets work. It is also a fair bet that ( scottish accent accepted) he speaks in a british toogue in public & accepts women as equals & does not wear a bag over his head ( except when doing the local post office)
He probably does not insist on stopping work to pray for 2 hours every day, but only to drink tea. Does not shop in a polish shop & does not congregate in high streets in groups staring at white women making them feel uneasy when they walk past to co shopping. Does not jump the housing queue unless he has a mate who he can bung a few bob to help him out. Does not insist on people of the same nationality or colour present the news on tv because some twit feels he might feel dissadvantaged.does not waste the time of various small businesses on trumped up race relations claims just to get money from them on false charges

mmm, how do we know? The xenophobes here and elsewhere might take a different view....

MJWF

Visit site

It is a fair bet that he accepts British customs, abides by British ways, abides by british law & probably pays british taxes when he actual gets work. It is also a fair bet that ( scottish accent accepted) he speaks in a british toogue in public & accepts women as equals & does not wear a bag over his head ( except when doing the local post office) ...

Very witty but - to imply negative traits of individuals based on nationality or ethnicity is the definition of racist. Normalisation and acceptance of which can lead to bad outcomes. Take a care with what is really precious about Britain - our tolerance.

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site

All true; in addition the premise behind these numbers is basically nonsense. In the financial markets every transaction must definitionally be comprised of a buyer and a seller.

So we can be sure that the sellers of that £77bn were precisely matched by buyers ...down to the very last penny!

You did not understand; Over £77 bn has been withdrawn from the country.

Niander

Visit site

Born and bred in Halifax west Yorkshire!...Lol
funny...
Anyway this is the United Kingdom or is it soon just to be a province of the Eu forever?
better brush up on my Lithuanian?...Or we going take it back?

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site

This kind of thinking is very small minded, stereotypical and xenophobic; unfortunately, it exists, in every country and stops progress and competition. Also, our labour force has to be lean and robust so that we can produce goods, including Sailing Yachts, competitively and value for money.

Niander

Visit site

Yep that's more or less me.:)

sailorman

Visit site

There are now 3 million migrants in the UK if we stay in there will be a hell of a lot more heading our way!......
Net migration from other EU countries could reach a massive 320,000 every year by 2035 if Brussels freedom-of-movement rules are given to Turkish citizens, according to research from the think tank Migration Watch.

Around 100,000 Turks could be expected to head for Britain in the immediate aftermath of their country getting full Brussels free-movement rights, the report estimated.

Once non-EU migrants are included in the forecast, the figure rises to a staggering 7.1million more migrants by 2035.

And even without Turkish entry into the EU, immigration is set to reach a level that will have "serious consequences for our population and our quality of life", Migration Watch warned.

You are talking out the back of your head,OUT wont reduce the migration IF we still want to trade with the EU. Check it out

dom

Visit site

You did not understand; Over £77 bn has been withdrawn from the country.

Think what withdrawing £77bn might mean:

1. Bloke puts it in his briefcase and heads abroad: unlikely
  2. Folk transfer the money from a UK bank like Barclays to say Citibank: makes no odds
  3. Sell the sterling to the Bank of England intervening in the FX mkt: that didn't happen
  4. Someone (or lots of people) sell sterling to buy USD and a collection of other currencies. Say one company wanted to sell £1bn in favour of USD; to do that it would need a counterparty prepared to to do exactly the opposite, i.e. buy sterling and sell him the USD in return.
In reality this kind of stat therefore doesn't mean much and certainly doesn't support headlines along the lines of "Billions of pounds are being pulled out of the UK as EU vote looms"

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site

Think what withdrawing £77bn might mean:

1. Bloke puts it in his briefcase and heads abroad: unlikely
  2. Folk transfer the money from a UK bank like Barclays to say Citibank: makes no odds
  3. Sell the sterling to the Bank of England intervening in the FX mkt: that didn't happen
  4. Someone (or lots of people) sell sterling to buy USD and a collection of other currencies. Say one company wanted to sell £1bn in favour of USD; to do that it would need a counterparty prepared to to do exactly the opposite, i.e. buy sterling and sell him the USD in return.
In reality this kind of stat therefore doesn't mean much and certainly doesn't support headlines along the lines of "Billions of pounds are being pulled out of the UK as EU vote looms"

No, this is not the case; people and small companies, literally, take money out and transfer money out of the country, eg exactly what happened in Greece two years ago.

Niander

Visit site

You are talking out the back of your head,OUT wont reduce the migration IF we still want to trade with the EU. Check it out

BS of course it will! And they need us more than we need them....
YOu get personal with me ? Ok then go join the Merkle migrant lover who has fooked her country big time!! Check it out

dom

Visit site

No, this is not the case; people and small companies, literally, take money out and transfer money out of the country, eg exactly what happened in Greece two years ago.

What do you mean by 'literally'? In Greece's case depositors withdrew euros from Hellenic, Piraeus, Alpha Bank etc and deposited them in the likes of Commerzbank, Deutsche Bank, BNP and so on. This created a liability on the part of the Bank of Greece to the ECB and by proxy to the other euroarea central banks via what is known as the Target2 system. These other euroarea central banks didn't feel comfortable, Greece couldn't devalue and all hell broke loose !!

Thankfully, this has has precisely nothing to do with the UK which has its own currency.

So when you say 'literally' take money out like Greece, you by implication mean that a depositor withdraws £ sterling from say Barclays and deposits it with BNP. He still holds exactly the same sterling and if there is a Brexit and sterling devalues he will be hit just as much. His only true way out is via a currency exchange ....and that requires a counterpart willing to execute a symmetrically opposite deal whereby he buys all the sterling the seller wishes to sell in return for whatever currency he wishes to buy!

In short, the £77bn is a perfectly valid BoE statistic, but it doesn't support the story people are trying to tell.

grumpy_o_g

Visit site

I didn't click did it.
If a Brexiteer loses and we stay in, he's a loser. If he wins, all of us lose (according to most all the (now denigrated) experts), so he becomes a loser too.

You're right it didn't. I'm still not sure it has to be honest :eek:

Retired in Crete

Visit site

In Greece's case depositors withdrew euros from Hellenic, Piraeus, Alpha Bank etc and deposited them in the likes of Commerzbank, Deutsche Bank, BNP and so on.

Greeks withdrew Euros from the banks and stuffed them under their beds because they feared their accounts would be robbed as happened in Cyprus! I personally saw people take shopping bags full of notes out of Alpha bank.

This was one of the reasons the government brought in the rule that payments over a certain amount must be made through a bank to get traceability.

John

dom

Visit site

Greeks withdrew Euros from the banks and stuffed them under their beds because they feared their accounts would be robbed as happened in Cyprus! I personally saw people take shopping bags full of notes out of Alpha bank.

This was one of the reasons the government brought in the rule that payments over a certain amount must be made through a bank to get traceability.

John

Good point, Greek citizens and corporates moved money out of Greece to other EU banks but largely kept it in euros; you say some stored it underneath their bed. This is what a bank run looks like and my point is simply that to draw any comparisons with the UK today is seriously pushing it!

Daydream believer

Visit site

Very witty but - to imply negative traits of individuals based on nationality or ethnicity is the definition of racist. Normalisation and acceptance of which can lead to bad outcomes. Take a care with what is really precious about Britain - our tolerance.

Latest Definition of tolerance
No longer legally allowed to say what you are thinking
You will find that once we vote to stay in the eu for ever we will become even more tolerant than we are now

MJWF

Visit site

You can say what you wish - and i will fight for your right to that. Doesnt stop what you saying or thinking being racist and my right to say so. EU is irrelevant on this

Status
Not open for further replies.