I'm new and need some advice

G

I\'m new and need some advice

Hi I had the chance to go out on a friends boat for the first time last weekend and thought it was so good that I now want to buy my own. Does anyone know any go books or internet sites that tell me what I should be looking for and how to go about it?

G

Re: I\'m new and need some advice

We're also looking for our first boat, indeed have been for some time. Be warned, you start commiting yourself to more and more expenditure. We've gone from £30,000 to £300,000 in many amazingly easy steps.

Returning to your questions, this is undoubtedly the best internet site (this bulletin board). You'll learn lots of information here although a few postings aren't what most of us would want to read. I've not found a good book a such. The monthly magazines are well worth buying. Either Motor Boat & Yachting or Motor Boats Monthly depending on the kind of boat you're interested in. Tip: take out a subscription. If you want to cancel at any time, you'll get a proportionate refund. A long subscription gets the biggest discount and avoids future price increases.

Visit boat yards and look at secondhand boats. The more you view, the more you'll learn. The agents selling boats are called brokers and act in the same way as estate agents. If you're near the south coast and want a boat to go on the sea, one of the biggest brokers, Ancasta, have used boat shows this Easter weekend on the Hamble and the Solent (www.ancasta.co.uk). Buy one of the magazines this weekend whatever you do, it'll be the brightest thing you'll see!

G

You really have to decide several factors. budget [ii] type of use {sea/river/both} [iii] where you intend using it UK/Med/Alaska

If you post your requirements here I'm sure you will have a variety of well meaning advice offered, some good, some not so good and some downright bad.

G

I was forwarded an email from a friend the other day about a new site called puremarine.com which covers everything you need to know about sellecting, finding and buying a boat. It had loads of info on it and was well worth the visit.

G

Try and talk to as many people as possible and don't believe what the brokers tell you, some have little more knowledge of motor boats than you. You do need to decide where you are going to use the boat, whether you intend just to make day trips or spend longer periods on board. You also need to budget for where you intend to keep it and how much fuel you are likely to use. Also do you want petrol at approx £4 per gallon (and not available in many ports), red diesel at about £1-20 per gallon or LPG. As Byron has said tell us what you think you want and the reasons behind your thoughts and we will be happy to advise you. However as has been said several times on this forum it is unlikely that your first choice will turn out to be exactly what you want. Also depending on where you are you may find others willing to take you out on their boats so you can then make a more informed choice. Whatever you do choose, just make sure that you learn how to use it properly by way of appropriate training courses or going out with experienced crew. But most of all use the boat as much as you can and enjoy it. It's great fun.

G

Read everything you can get your hands on- this forum is good, plus all the boaty mags, including the sailing ones. Look at everyboat you can get your hands on, including the European and yank boats, this will help give you a feel for what you get for your money, as well as the little details that go a long way to make boating better. Take a course, something like the RYA Dayskipper will help give you a load of confidence, and let you meet likeminded people. Look at your budget. Not only do you have to buy the boat, but moor it, maintain it, insure it, fuel it, clean it, buy bits for it (Liferaft, lifejackets, Nav gear, cutlery, pillows, etc etc.) talk to owners of simular boats to what you had in mind. Visit marinas to check out were you might like to keep it and get a feel for the facilities and services on offer. We started with 40' and have now gone down in size, many people start small and go up, think carefully about how many people you will actually have on board, how many sleeping over, and thing like will you cook on board, or eat out? We now think that something around 32' would be perfect for us, and are currently in something 34' long. I would only buy a diesel boat in the UK. Dont buy the first boat you fall for. Buy a new boat, especially if you are not too DIY inclined. Once you are more confident, then buy used. (Maybe buy something relativley small new, then bigger used?) New boats have warranties, and better control on costs. We bought used first time out and got nailed on repairs that were unexpected. This list could last forever, but make sure you go to the boat shows and see everything possible. Dont buy this season, spend a year researching it to get it right. Try chartering this season, or loads of free trips off brokers to try different boats.

Of course you could do like we did, visit three brokers, look at 6 boats, and then buy the one you most liked, and to hell with the consequences. Expensive but lessons learnt well! Try to think about details as well as the big picture, make lists of things to check, dont settle for second best, get a good survey if buying used. This should include a full engine survey as well (including having the oil analysed) , we didnt have one of these and it cost us £3000. Could have been worse.

ask lots of questions here when you have specifics.

Have fun.

Phew.