If I won the lottery...

Resolution

Visit site
Would never buy something so big that it could not be sailed by a couple whatever I could afford. See no fun in needing a professional crew.

Not necessarily. One of my pals is very wealthy, entirely made through his own efforts. In his seventies and with failing mobility he was about to give up sailing. Then he found a really cracking good guy to be his professional skipper and has, as a consequence, been able to enjoy a further five years sailing so far.

Kelpie

Visit site
I might see if I could buy that Bestevaer recently built by a forumite on here. Looked the absolute dog's danglies.

DownWest

Visit site
I would go to Spirit and commision something in the 40ft range, for Fun.

Reminded of the well healed bloke, who, when asked what yacht he owned.. Said a Nic 32. The interviewer thought that a bit low key. WHB pointed out out he had 6(?) of them them in his prefered different cruising grounds. I like that idea.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Not necessarily. One of my pals is very wealthy, entirely made through his own efforts. In his seventies and with failing mobility he was about to give up sailing. Then he found a really cracking good guy to be his professional skipper and has, as a consequence, been able to enjoy a further five years sailing so far.
This is the boat that Sir Maersk McKinney Moller ordered when he was 91: he took delivery when he was 93 and enjoyed sailing her for the next four years. Employing, as he did, several thousand seamen, I suspect that finding a crew was about as hard as picking the colour of the topsides. He had sailed since childhood, but I suspect that a Lottery win would have been pocket money for him.

Last edited:

Zing

Visit site
German Frers. Swan 82 RS. I was wrong: he was 95 when he ordered her. She was his eighth boat.

A nice choice for me, but at his age it would probably have been a physical ordeal sailing on her. At some point a big stabilised motor yacht in the Med will be the right boat.

D

Deleted member 36384

National Lottery: A tax on people who don't understand probability

That's true, a bit like household insurance. At least in the lottery case it is only a couple of quid a week.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
I spent a few minutes yesterday on the pontoon at the Berthon marina, looking at the Fife 15 metre “Mariquita”.

A mere lottery win might just help towards the running costs of such a yacht, but it did my heart good to see her so well cared for in the finest traditional manner with an array of skills on display - such as the cream all over cover held down not with straps but with weighted soft bags.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I spent a few minutes yesterday on the pontoon at the Berthon marina, looking at the Fife 15 metre “Mariquita”.

A mere lottery win might just help towards the running costs of such a yacht, but it did my heart good to see her so well cared for in the finest traditional manner with an array of skills on display - such as the cream all over cover held down not with straps but with weighted soft bags.

I had the pleasure of an days jolly on her a few years back.

I take it you bought the other one then?:eek::encouragement: