ICC & CEVNI

CliveG

Visit site
I am planning to go to Holland in the summer.
I have mislaid my ICC and need to get a CEVNI.
Where / who would be the best people to contact to get these sorted?
Happy to do the ICC test on my own boat.

PeterWright

Visit site
All good advice above. If you want a CEVNI, East Anglia Sea School, amongst others can provide. When I did it with them, I studied the booklet of rules at home and turned up to be tested on it, which took about half an hour.

That was about 10 years ago, so things may have changed.

Peter.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
If you want a CENVI which I think is necessary for the inland waterways of Holland which is what prompted me to get one then the online exam is the way to go. A series of multiple choice type questions, minimum number of correct answers required, easy to pass after a little reading and several hours with some flip cards. There are or used to be online tests to prepare for the exam.
ICC depends on where and how you got the ICC as has been said if RYA issued then they will provide a replacement at cost.

Geoff A

Visit site
CENVI needed. Yes as far as I know for inland water ways. As for ICC I have my doubts, The RYA is the only organisation that issue's an ICC and the only place that will renew one . In the UK an ICC is not like a driving licence where it is illegal to drive a vehicle without one. I have never been asked by any official officer of any country I have visited to produce an ICC. IMHO If you can arrive safely to any foreign country from anywhere in the UK you must cave a degree of competence. I do not know if it is a legal requirement in other countries to have an ICC if visiting. Even if you have an out of date ICC in your own name, to my mind it can be argued that you are a competent person. I can see why a charter company would want to see a bit of paper showing that you know how to handle power of sailing boat. This is my opinion and will be happy to be proved wrong.

johnalison

Visit site
Only for larger boats! See post #4 above.
As I read it, that referred to the ICC. In practice, I think it makes sense to have both, just in case someone with too much time on his hands decides to ask for them. They don't cost much, and if you can't qualify, then just maybe you shouldn't be going, or perhaps be allowed out of the house. The only difficulty I remember during my CENVI reading was the definition of 'upstream vessel'. Although this is obvious in the context, it is the reverse of how I would usually say it. I have scarcely ever been asked to show anything other than immigration stuff and my radio licence.

shanemax

Visit site
We have a lot of Dutch boats, in the summer, here in the Orwell. Do they need any formal certificate or insurance to visit the UK.

captain.morgan

Visit site
We have a lot of Dutch boats, in the summer, here in the Orwell. Do they need any formal certificate or insurance to visit the UK.
Haven (Beacon) state that you need 3rd party insurance to berth there, but they rarely double check for visiting boats.
Other Orwell marinas may be stricter.

Stork_III

Visit site
Haven (Beacon) state that you need 3rd party insurance to berth there, but they rarely double check for visiting boats.
Other Orwell marinas may be stricter.

Shotley require your confirmation of Insurance in force but do not examine a certificate to prove it. Avoids their involvement if the declaration proves to be false. Most other marinas will be the same.