ICC certificate.

LittleShip

Visit site
I would imagine that like most on here my qualifications for sailing /cruising are getting on in years. I have never thought of wanting to get anymore as what I have is above and beyond what I need..... or thought I needed.

In conversation yesterday I discovered that when visiting Southern Ireland I am supposed to hold an ICC qualification and that on a couple of occasions people have been caught out by not having one.

I visit Ireland at least once a year but was not aware that I need one due to it being in the European community. Surely I cant be the only one who didn't know that this was required and, when did it come into practice as I have also been over to France on several occasions without one :rolleyes: I honestly thought that I was Ok with my RYA qualifications and now I also find out that I have to update my VHF licence as I carry DFC on board.......

Bugger I thought that I had finished with all the certificates 20 years ago. Don't they do Grandfather rights.:(

Tom

PaulGooch

www.boat-fishing.co.cc
Dunno about Ireland Tom, but you don't need the ICC for French coastal waters. Should be able to get an ICC for a few quid if you have a RYC cert that covers it, min PBL2 i beleive. When he's finished extracting the urine, Kwackers will no doubt confirm that :D

As for the DSC, techincally you're supposed to do the course i think. Maybe you could get away with telling them you don't use the DSC bits, seems daft to take a course to show you how to press a red button :confused:

Kawasaki

Visit site
When he's finished extracting the urine, Kwackers will no doubt confirm that :D

As for the DSC, techincally you're supposed to do the course i think. Maybe you could get away with telling them you don't use the DSC bits, seems daft to take a course to show you how to press a red button :confused:

Paul, One can hactually just sit the 'exam' if One thinks One can pass it
Taint a lot cheaper hactually
The RYA VHF SRC Course always seems to attach a bit of 'conversation' :p to it
'WOT a Course to show me how to press a red button'!
Etc Etc
Yep, I know where the Peeps are coming from
BUT
It can be made very interesting
The Course shows how the GMDSS system works etc etc
Points out how to use and why EPIRBS and SARTS an stuff.
Plus, dunno about you guys but I find I meet new friends and share experiences an the like on Courses like this
Plus
Can get you away from decorating or gardening an stuff!!
Plus there has been a bit of new protocol ref sending a 'Distress' message , ie a Mayday
Plus
I could get some dosh off of Tom
And Tom would know how to press a red button
Win Win situation I calls it
'Over':D

BGW

www.marina.ie
I visit Ireland at least once a year but was not aware that I need one due to it being in the European community.

There are no requirements for an ICC that I was aware of and I have been boating over here for 7 years.

Where did your info come from?

Kawasaki

Visit site
In conversation yesterday I discovered that when visiting Southern Ireland I am supposed to hold an ICC qualification and that on a couple of occasions people have been caught out by not having one.

I visit Ireland at least once a year but was not aware that I need one due to it being in the European community.

Tom

Until you mentioned it Tom, I was not aware either and I suppose I should have been, being a highly qualified person like what I am innit
Been there a few times and never been challenged or asked
What if an Irishman went from Bangor to Dublin?
Would they boffer
As for the 'Euro' community thing
Don't think that matters in a way ref the ICC
Cos places that do require an ICC are in the Community!!
I do know this
Tried to rent a 23 ft Boston Whaler type thing in France some years ago
Pierre wouldn't rent me his boat without one
Same boat in Florida Keys
Elmer said
'Here's the keys Limey, gis yer goddam dollars, go enjoy the Keys'
Key question
Can Tom afford varnish for this winters application for Little Ship and all His necessary paperwork:D

Tranona

Visit site
I would imagine that like most on here my qualifications for sailing /cruising are getting on in years. I have never thought of wanting to get anymore as what I have is above and beyond what I need..... or thought I needed.

I visit Ireland at least once a year but was not aware that I need one due to it being in the European community. Surely I cant be the only one who didn't know that this was required and, when did it come into practice as I have also been over to France on several occasions without one :rolleyes: I honestly thought that I was Ok with my RYA qualifications and now I also find out that I have to update my VHF licence as I carry DFC on board.......

Bugger I thought that I had finished with all the certificates 20 years ago. Don't they do Grandfather rights.:(

Tom

Pretty sure there is no requirement to have an ICC - or indeed any qualification in Ireland. It is nothing to do with the EU. Its primary purpose for UK based people is that you need it if you are going into many of the European Inland waterways, particularly in France and Germany. However, it is not required for N European Coastal waters.

There is full information about it on the RYA site. You may well find your RYA qualifications entitle you to an ICC anyway.

TSB240

Visit site
Dont know for definite about Ireland but I am positive that if you have a mobo with more than 6 hp you should have a mobo icc for France. I know this as we had advice from Rya before taking Tamsin to Brittany. We were excused as we are primarily a saily boat and they did not need an icc at that time.
The only thing the French seem to check was ssr,passports and insurance.

LittleShip

Visit site
I could get some dosh off of Tom
And Tom would know how to press a red button
Win Win situation I calls it
'Over':D
I already know how to push buttons as you well know :)

There are no requirements for an ICC that I was aware of and I have been boating over here for 7 years.

Where did your info come from?

I was talking to Jake from the Glasson sailing school, he gave me a form to read but it's left on the boat.

Pretty sure there is no requirement to have an ICC - or indeed any qualification in Ireland. It is nothing to do with the EU.

Just had a quick look on the RYA website, this was posted on there.

If you want to cruise outside the UK you are likely to need certification, often in the form of the International Certificate of Competence (ICC).

As you know Southern Ireland is not part of the UK so it seems the information I have been given stands good, even if it isn't pursued by the officials.

I will make some more ingress in to the matter.
Tom

Last edited:

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie
You do not need ANY marine certs whatsoever for leisure boating in Ireland

A total myth. None are needed in tidal or inland waters.

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie
The PFD law applies to u16s, or all crew on <7m craft. ROI has also banned drink/drive for skippers/helm on leisure craft underway.

• A lifejacket/ personal floatation device is carried on board for each person (irrespective of the size of craft)
• Everyone on board a craft less than 7.0 metres (23 feet) in length must wear a lifejacket/ personal floatation device
• Every child less than 16 years of age must wear a lifejacket/ personal floatation device at all times while on deck when the craft is underway

PaulGooch

www.boat-fishing.co.cc
Dont know for definite about Ireland but I am positive that if you have a mobo with more than 6 hp you should have a mobo icc for France. I know this as we had advice from Rya before taking Tamsin to Brittany. We were excused as we are primarily a saily boat and they did not need an icc at that time.
The only thing the French seem to check was ssr,passports and insurance.

You do not need an ICC for French coastal waters. You do need one, with CEVNI endorsement for inland waterways.

Tranona

Visit site
Just had a quick look on the RYA website, this was posted on there.

If you want to cruise outside the UK you are likely to need certification, often in the form of the International Certificate of Competence (ICC).

As you know Southern Ireland is not part of the UK so it seems the information I have been given stands good, even if it isn't pursued by the officials.

I will make some more ingress in to the matter.
Tom

That is only the "headline" statement. It is much more complex (and ambiguous) than that. You need to read all the information from the RYA, then you will find that in practice the need for an ICC is limited. The key need is for Inland waterways in Europe, and then not all - most of Holland for example does not need it. In coastal waters in Northern Europe there is no need, and in fact outside the inland waterways there are very few places or situations where it is a requirement. There are exceptions and you need to look on the country pages to know whether there is a requirement or not. In many countries just your RYA certificate might be enough, but the idea of the ICC is that is in an acceptable form. Many people do have ICCs, particularly if they are chartering as in many Med countries it is a requirement for chartering a locally registered boat to be able to demonstrate competence, and the ICC is usually acceptable. People who cruise around the Med also find it useful when officials ask to see your "licence", even if there is no legal requirement to have one!

BTW Republic of Ireland does not have any specific requirements, except for the PFD rules and people sail happily back and forth between there and UK without any problems.

pathfinderstu

Visit site
Borow a freinds icc cert cover your name on it and photo copy it, get a stick on piece of shiny hologram stuff from staples and stick that on for authenticity and away you go, no body will notice the difference as the original certs are very poor quality anyway.