I will live-aboard. The clock is ticking

Zanziba

Visit site
Phew! Thank god for the sensor it could of been curtains for you!! goodto change the sensors if you don't know their age 7 years is maximum lifespan for these in UK (there is a 10 year one but expensive made by KIDDE) wipe around your heater with damp white cloth any yellow/amber soot usually means unefficient combustion and heater probably needs servicing, check flue for obstructions blockages and make. sure you have sufficient ventilation.
Sorry to hear the expedition didn't go to plan!!

Thanks. I've bought an expensive one now with digital ppm. I will run some tests and see if I can isolate the problem.

Zanziba

Visit site
Thanks. I've bought an expensive one now with digital ppm. I will run some tests and see if I can isolate the problem.

Okay... found the problem. The charger unit to the batteries is faulty (Sterling) and is not stepping down so it is over charging the leisure battery. That is venting Hydrogen (which I can smell) and a quick google has shown that Hydrogen gas sets off CO alarms.

Tested tonight... not used the heating. Put the charger on and sure enough the ppm start rising on the detector.

Oh well, at least that solves the mystery. I wont die of asphyxiation but explode instead. Joy. :)

Zanziba

Visit site
I thought with it being the new year then I would (and should) give an update... Happy New Year everyone!

The weather may be bad here in the UK but the rocking of the yacht helps me sleep and her noises and groans makes her seem more alive... I do long for weather that allows me back on deck to play guitar and sing to the locals but hey-ho, only by seeing the rain do you understand the joy of the sun. (Maybe the thread should be "I will live abroad" instead! :) Anyway, there is time for that in the future!

The Morgan has proven herself to be a very comfortable place to rest my head and she sails wonderfully (quick compared to the old Westerly 31) although she maneouvers very badly in reverse (zero steering, even less than a Tesco trolley)

My divorce has eventually be completed and my children now enjoy staying on-board which is a real thrill both for them and for me. I've also decided to get my work / life balance in order and gone part time.

So, plans? That's tricky really. I am hoping that this summer I can get the yacht out more and get more experience, as ever I am always looking for people to help me sail if anyone wants to volunteer, any weeks considered! Ireland and or Scotland perhaps.

Stay safe, keep the wind in your sails and may you all be blessed with good anchorages for the coming year.

Zanziba

Visit site
Chatting to a couple of poeple who live aboard it is becoming aparent that they are doing it as it is cheaper than living in a house and not becuase they love boats or have any real desire to sail / motor / explore. Invariably they do not like living on a boat and are rather unhappy.

I don't understand this at all and love the lifestyle (even though I work as well on land full time)

Wondered if anyone had any insights to add to this phenomena?

Zanziba

Visit site
Well, a new beginning and a sudden change in plans!

I have been offered a new job in the South of England (Essex) and I have taken it... so I am moving the yacht.

This is a big endeavour for me and I will be sailing from Preston, anti-clockwise, around Wales, Cornwall, the South Coast, across the Thames estuary and up to the Ipswich area. My lack of experience is hopefully going to be bolstered by experienced crew members (two of them doing separate legs).

I am going to attempt to do a short video diary on the days something interesting happens (which given my past experience will be every day of the trip) and post them on youtube (I think I can do that?!?) and put a link on here plus a little blog.

High spring tide to get over the hellish Preston Ribble sandbanks have set the date of 14th July to set sail. I now have to start getting the boat ready!

Another interesting development was that I managed to track down a previous owner who made the Atlantic (USA -> UK) in my yacht and wrote a book about it. What a great read, even though he hates sailing and hated the trip and I do not think set foot on the yacht after arriving in the UK.

So, fair winds and calm seas (Yes, that is a joke in the Irish sea, the only place that square waves exist) for this summer please Poseidon and I hope for a safe, if long passage, around about 50% of the English coastline.

nigelm

Visit site
I like to follow yr exploits and stories but ahem , Ipswich is Suffolk not Essex , anyway don't forget to pop over to the east coast forum (the friendly one ) we have a few rendezvous through out the year and another face is always welcome .

Zanziba

Visit site
I like to follow yr exploits and stories but ahem , Ipswich is Suffolk not Essex , anyway don't forget to pop over to the east coast forum (the friendly one ) we have a few rendezvous through out the year and another face is always welcome .

I know, but for simplicity I named the closest big sea port I could think of. I'll probably be on the crouch or in the Maldon area...

Which is the East Coast forum (Friendly one)?

Zanziba

Visit site
Chelmsford area... I shall go and look now for the forum sub-section you mentioned.

:)

EDIT -------

Is it this one?

Forum -> Forum member events -> East Coast Meeting forum

Last edited:

Baggy

Visit site
Hi Zanziba

Chelmsford.. great place mate

London just down the road, and beautiful countryside great for cycling nearby.
Must visit the many pubs in Moulsham street to wet yuor whistle
My local was the Anchor.

20 years there,

Kept my boat at Fambridge, .. 20 min drive

ahh those were the days....

Zanziba

Visit site
I leave for the open sea and a long sail around the UK coastline in two weeks...

Two extra leisure batteries now fitted into my system and working well, and the front furler is working (you read it here first) after a "gentle" bit of work with a large hammer and a bottle of WD40 :)

Praying for fair winds and I will try and put some locations on here as I progress round, anti-clockwise from Preston to Essex

AB1707

Visit site
Hi Zanzibar,

We left Portland in April - also anti clockwise and are currently on the Moray Coast towards Inverness. The wind seems to know our plans and generally on the nose. Good luck

Zanziba

Visit site
Hi Zanzibar,

We left Portland in April - also anti clockwise and are currently on the Moray Coast towards Inverness. The wind seems to know our plans and generally on the nose. Good luck

Well you've two weeks to get to Preston and we can form a flotilla, I've ordered a nice 3/4 northerly

:)

Zanziba

Visit site
Sorry that I appear to have vanished... busy I expect!

I managed to sail round the UK from Preston to Essex last summer (via the Scilly Isles) and I am happy in the River Crouch now.

I am currently trying to get a book written (comedy) about the trip round and I will post a section of it here if I ever get it finished and publish the rest on Amazon :)

Life in the South seems to benefit me and I must say, the weather is a dream. The locals seem to be very friendly.

I've posted a scuttlebut post about my broken fuel pump if anyone is an expert :)