I broke my boom!! What is this part called and how to attach it?

Refueler

Visit site
Often they are incorrectly called 'PAD EYE' ..... you can see one here on my foredeck :

QKRYgGyl.jpg

Any Chandlers will have them ...

A better solution is what is a real 'Pad Eye' ... a triangular plate with a hole in the apex which you shackle to ... the main long side of plate sits in the end of sail channel with pins securing it in place ... on older booms - it also took the outhaul fastening of the mainsail.

B27

Visit site
Do not fit on top as it puts any load directly onto the rivets
200,000 Laser dinghies have the mainsheet on rivets under tension.
That's not the weakest point in their boom.
So long as the rivets are big enough, and not corroded, it's fine.

Most yacht booms are a constant section of ali extrusion for the whole length, which means the back end is stronger than it needs to be.

saxonpirate

Visit site
I'll repeat 25 post into the thread.. its a 'lacing eye'.. and that particular one on that boom is very skimpy to say the least. If you're going to replace yours.. do so with a model that has more surface area.. something like the one in the image below.. Sorry about the size.. :oops:

iu

Refueler

Visit site
Lacing Eye .... Pad Eye .... like many things in life - names get thrown around and get into general usage.

B27 - I agree with .... thousands of boats around the world have eyes on the boom for topping lifts ... properly fastened - there should be no problem.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Lacing Eye .... Pad Eye .... like many things in life - names get thrown around and get into general usage.

B27 - I agree with .... thousands of boats around the world have eyes on the boom for topping lifts ... properly fastened - there should be no problem.
For topping lifts yes, it’s just the weight of the sail and boom, and the odd skipper at the gooseneck end reaching up the mast. This started with the attachment being used for reefing too. The forces acting on that are a whole different ball game, clearly!

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
You did read he was actually using other gear on it as well - what it was never designed for ?
Yes is wrongly had the reefing line on it as well as the topping lift, so was subject to much greater load that it was intended for.

We have repaired it, and in true PBO fashion, the replacement fitting was one we found in the "odds and sods" that we had around. If I remember I will take a picture tomorrow. The new fitting mounts with 4 holes, the rear 2 are nut and bolted using the original 2 holes in the boom, the front 2 are new holes drilled in the boom and pop riveted.

flaming

Visit site
Is the outhaul rubbing against that fitting? Looks like it will, especially on starboard tack... Look out for chafe if so.

Looking at your boom I'd have put a soft shackle or permanent spliced loop around the cross bar at the end of the boom and left it at that.