Humber to Solent in January

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
Having spent six months in Hull Maina last year it is a good place to stay and easy to get to by train. Having said that we ha a cold but wonderful sail there fron Ipswich in January and I wouldn't have missed it.
I too think Wells is wonderful but not if you don't know it. It is far safer to go to Lowerstoft and have a break there. Wells is shallow and the current can be strong.

Ian_Edwards

Visit site
Great Yarmouth?

No one has mentioned Great Yarmouth as a possible stopping point. Is it that bad?

I’ve looked at the port website and it looks very commercial, but it does give directions for mooring small boats. I’m considering a similar trip, Peterhead to the Solent via the East Coast, but later in the year when there is more daylight. I’ve ventured as far south as Boston before, but all that shallow water makes me nervous, I normally tack offshore when the sounder reads less than 20m! So the info’ in this thread is interesting and informative.

alexrunic

Visit site
Wash sailers tack when you can see the colour of the kids eys on the beach!! Like anywhere the wash has its own chalanges. But with a little care and a sharp eye on the sounder its not a problem.

I've never fancied yarmouth its not meant to be very yacht friendly.

Last edited:

EdWingfield

Visit site
Yarmouth is not yot friendly, although it is safe.

I spent a night alongside steam trawler 'Lydia Eva', expecting a *******ing plus harbour dues. I got away with neither.

The town was nice, but I'm in no hurry to return. I will press on to Lowestoft or further in future.

I've also used Sea Palling to skip a tide.

Beadle

Rural Nth Yorks - 2 miles from bus stop, 8 miles f
Visit site
"I think it would be the perfect place to break the trip if you did not want to do it in one hit."

I would suggest that its the ONLY place to break the trip from Humber to Lowestoft.

Trouble is if he wants to get out of nasty weather its likely to be riskier trying to get into Wells than pressing on to Lowestoft.

I,ve never sailed into the Wash but I don't like the look of it, certainly not in any rough stuff.

Personally I wouldn't fancy the entries to either Lowestoft or Yarmouth, certainly if there was any suggestion of East in the wind. Add the fact that if he takes the ebb down the Humber he's likely to be in the Lowestoft area (or Wells come to that) fairly close to Low water - which will not help matters - and will certainly rule Wells well out of court.

If I felt the weather was such that I was less than confident of Lowestoft entry I would be inclined to press on for Shotly or Ipswich.

And if I was confident of the entry, all things being equal, I might as well press on anyway.

My belief is that once you leave the Humber going south you are effectively committed to the area around the Orwell

Thats why I suggested a really good look at the weather before setting off

alexrunic

Visit site
"I think it would be the perfect place to break the trip if you did not want to do it in one hit."

I would suggest that its the ONLY place to break the trip from Humber to Lowestoft.

Trouble is if he wants to get out of nasty weather its likely to be riskier trying to get into Wells than pressing on to Lowestoft.

I,ve never sailed into the Wash but I don't like the look of it, certainly not in any rough stuff.

Personally I wouldn't fancy the entries to either Lowestoft or Yarmouth, certainly if there was any suggestion of East in the wind. Add the fact that if he takes the ebb down the Humber he's likely to be in the Lowestoft area (or Wells come to that) fairly close to Low water - which will not help matters - and will certainly rule Wells well out of court.

If I felt the weather was such that I was less than confident of Lowestoft entry I would be inclined to press on for Shotly or Ipswich.

And if I was confident of the entry, all things being equal, I might as well press on anyway.

My belief is that once you leave the Humber going south you are effectively committed to the area around the Orwell

How do you come to your findings that you would be a wells for Low water??? Your leaving the mouth of the Humber at low water or a little before. Many boats sail out of the Humber and make wells on the next high water.

alexrunic

Visit site

How do you come to your findings that you would be a wells for Low water??? Your leaving the mouth of the Humber at low water or a little before. Many boats sail out of the Humber and make wells on the next high water.

I really don't understand people's narrow minded view of the wash and Humber. Although I shouldn't moan it keeps it nice and quite. The wash is a beautiful and peaceful place to sail. Why do we get some many Dutch and Germans visisting? Within a days sail of my home port I have 25 harbours I can sail to, most peacefu and unspoilt. Like any where in the wrong weather its not fun, but whens its nice you could not want for more.

Beadle

Rural Nth Yorks - 2 miles from bus stop, 8 miles f
Visit site
Gosh

Being snarled at in stereo!

Firstly I'm working from memory - which may be a little hazy at times.

Secondly I really said he would be at Lowestoft area at around low water. which was not the best time to enter if things were cutting up rough.

I then added as an afterthought that such a situation would rule Wells out.

I was still thinking of the weather having turned unpleasant more than the actual tide state, although having said that I reckon Spurn to Wells in six and a bit hours is pretty good going - even with the tide behind you.

I don't have charts etc to hand but I reckon its 50+ miles (from memory) which is good going - even with tide to help. I don't say it can't be done, but its not something I would care to bank on.

Add to that the fact that the original intention was to sail to the Orwell or beyond and to change part way would add to the mileage.

Just add to that if the weather turns really evil with a Northerly or N Easterly he couldn't get in anyway and he's stuck with the whole N Norfolk coast under his lee few options other than to turn East or run into he Wash.

Never been into Wash so I make no comment on it but I have sailed the Humber and points northward for >20 years - so no prejudice against it but considerable respect.

Cheers

Halo

Visit site
Nothing wrong with the Wash. Some pretty big ships get up to Boston so no reason why we cannot. I have been through the Wash from Boston a couple of times (after going up the Humber / Trent / Fossdyke / Witham from Boston and it is a really interesting trip. If you had a shallow draft I would reccomend this route - but not with a 6 foot draft.

PilotWolf

Visit site
I don't think anyone (inc. me) is saying Wells or the Wash is a bad place to go.

BUT if on passage, with an new boat why make life harder? Stick with the easy ports whilst you learn how the boat handles and avoid extra stress of timings and more difficult ports to enter when your primary objective is to get the boat home.

Re: Wells - yes it is a lovely place - I lived and worked from there for nearly a year but would not recommend it for a novice in a new boat - even with the harbour staffs' help. Go back for a visit one day!

Above all else plan, don't rush and enjoy your first trip with the new boat!

W.

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
I don't think anyone (inc. me) is saying Wells or the Wash is a bad place to go.

BUT if on passage, with an new boat why make life harder? Stick with the easy ports whilst you learn how the boat handles and avoid extra stress of timings and more difficult ports to enter when your primary objective is to get the boat home.

Re: Wells - yes it is a lovely place - I lived and worked from there for nearly a year but would not recommend it for a novice in a new boat - even with the harbour staffs' help. Go back for a visit one day!

Above all else plan, don't rush and enjoy your first trip with the new boat!

W.

Totally agree.
If you don't know Wells don't go there in winter.

onesea

Visit site
Thanks for all the good advice, am waiting on Survey before making final decision sail/ road.

My concern is if I loose this window sailing the boat could be stuck for 2 months in a port that I would not be able to visit :confused:. Which when one delay (weather break down) causes that much delay could cost more than the saving in sailing her :eek:,

Unless tides survey and crew all available at right times I think I will error towards the road. Crew wise mixed ability, certainly do not consider myself a novice and do not see a need for delivery skipper (but can understand the consideration).

I also suspect that they would want more money than the cost of shipping her down?

My crew experience could vary considerably depending upon who is around. Having read your views, various anchorages & ports appreciated.

Wells is good to know about, but idea is to get boat home. From what I can see its just as easy to keep going to Lowestoft. Unless there is break down etc

Great Yarmouth I know form 10 years ago great night ashore if you like to party but not very yacht friendly, I do not think it has changed.

Thanks for all the comments and knowledge.

trevorr

Visit site
Without wishing to put a damper on your voyage, I am lead to understand that the lock gates at Hull are about to be "repaired" and will be out of action for a time during Jan / Feb.

You may want to check with the Marina to make sure they will be operable at your planned departure time.

Trev

ALPHORA

Visit site
The proposed trip is for a delivery, not an extended cruise , the delights of Boston should not really come into it.. The key part of the trip is the first leg to Lowestoft, at any time of year. I've done Hull to the South coast in July and had 3 days of SE f6/7 to start with. Wait for a day with a good forecast and get to Lowestoft, there are a lot more options to do shorter legs from there. Enjoy it.

photodog

Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthor
Visit site
A delivery skipper will be less expensive than by road.

Get it priced up.

I was able to shift my boat from Plymouth to Ipswich for less than £1000 using a delivery skipper... the boat arrived on time and in perfect condition.. clean and ready to use with a report detailing the (lack of) technical problems...

I had the same problem as you... work/weather/crew commitments couldnt be made to work.....

Halo

Visit site
A little late to comment but would the vendor be prepared to do the delivery trip with you?. If so you could learn a lot of valuable lessons and info en route. Perhaps make this a condition of purchase?