How old is your boat?

How old is your boat?

• Total voters

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
To be fair, we carry a lot of tools. I enjoy making stuff and have helped cruisers with broken stuff. It's a hobby for me as much as anything. I enjoyed refurbishing my 27 year old generator recently. We got a quote for a new 5kVA machine at £10.5k. we stripped ours down and got new varistors fitted.we thought it needed a rewind but that had been done at some point in its life. We replaced the fresh water pump, replaced some oil gaskets, replaced some wiring, removed 27 yrs of crud and grime from under and behind it and degreased it. We then resprayed it and replaced the plinth it sits on and also replaced the acoustic insulation. The whole job cost less than £300. So now I feel like I am £10k better off?.
I am also a Practical boat owner?
You just can't go out and buy satisfaction like that.

Topcat47

Visit site
56 years old and counting. On third engine (I don't know what happened to the original Dolphin). Needs some serious cosmetic TLC at the moment but hull, rig, engine etc OK.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
Quite simple. You buy a 1979 Golden Hind 31 that needs "improving" and sell the immaculate 2015 Bavaria.

New Boat boatshed.com/golden_hind_31-boat-303654.html

Old Boat yachtworld.co.uk/yacht/2015-bavaria-cruiser-33-8160331/

Problem I found with tools is that not having used them seriously for 20 years, some of them are knackered. Fired the saw bench up to rip some 40 year old mahogany and it screeched then died. Drill stand was seized and old B&D drill in it also made a banshee wail. Bewildering choice of new kit to spend money on, but German/Chinese bandsaw has earned its keep already.
I like those seats on the traveller! I might make a pair of them for mine.

Tranona

Visit site
I like those seats on the traveller! I might make a pair of them for mine.
Yes, lots of nice little touches on the boat - and not so nice. Just removed a sliding door to the forecabin!

Looking forward to broad reaching across Poole Bay in a late spring northerly sitting on one of those seats with a toe resting on the tiller and a glass of cold Sauvignon Blanc in hand.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
Yes, lots of nice little touches on the boat - and not so nice. Just removed a sliding door to the forecabin!

Looking forward to broad reaching across Poole Bay in a late spring northerly sitting on one of those seats with a toe resting on the tiller and a glass of cold Sauvignon Blanc in hand.
Exactly how I was picturing it!

Andy61

Visit site
1988 Sadler 34, so 34 years old this year. Plenty of work and upgrades made to it, plenty on going and I'm sure plenty more to come - there's always something! Owned for 10 years , taken me to The Baltic, Germany, Holland and more to come. I would attach a photo but all of mine are too big for the server to process - or something along those lines.

johnalison

Visit site
1988 Sadler 34, so 34 years old this year. Plenty of work and upgrades made to it, plenty on going and I'm sure plenty more to come - there's always something! Owned for 10 years , taken me to The Baltic, Germany, Holland and more to come. I would attach a photo but all of mine are too big for the server to process - or something along those lines.
There are many ways to shrink a photo. I do it in Photoshop Elements but Windows Photos or Paint will also do it. Don't forget to save as a copy if you want to keep the original. I keep a separate folder for forum photos. This makes it quicker as the site knows where to look, and it is easy to delete tham after posting.

Daydream believer

Visit site
. I would attach a photo but all of mine are too big for the server to process - or something along those lines.
Load a programme called "Pixel resizer" . It will leave a convenient icon on your desk top for regular use.
Open the programme, Then select the new size a 600 * 450. which is in 2 boxes in the middle of the screen( that should stay that way every time you use it unless you alter it again) Load the photo that you want to re size It shows a list of the files but it is a bit small, so to make it easier I tend to place the picture on the desktop first to save scrolling through the file list to find it. Then save it. It will NOT lose the original, it will come up with the same title followed by (600*450), so you know it is the resized version & if you had it on the desktop it will be saved there, so you can find it easily when you close the programme. . This will then be suitable for loading into most forums etc.
I use it because it is quick & simple & i prefer the KISS system which works from Windows 95 right through to windows 11. without any issues

Bobc

Visit site
This just got me thinking...

I bought my boat new nearly 20 years ago. I have no plans to sell in the next 10 at least.

I wonder how many boats stay with their original owner for that sort of length of time.

asteven221

Visit site
You'll be giving some members apoplexy by saying that, Tim. ;) The days of her needing to carry a hundred tools, including 13 power tools, to keep her afloat together with the smell of volatile organic compounds competing with mildew and mould below deck are a way off just yet. I'll have hung my sea boots before that time comes. (y)

DSC_0032.JPG

Looking very nice in lovely Portavadie Marina ?

The Q

Visit site

I bought my boat new nearly 20 years ago. I have no plans to sell in the next 10 at least.

I wonder how many boats stay with their original owner for that sort of length of time.
my last boat lasted 1983- 2010ish.. My current boat I built in 1996-9, I'm not intending to sell it, so hopefully it'll see me out in another 30 years..

Tranona

Visit site

Eventide 1980-2019, first Bavaria15 years, second 6 years - not enough time left for long term ownership now! Morgan coming up 19 years from new.

Poignard

Visit site

I have had my Twister for 25 years and I will keep her until I am no longer able to sail and maintain her

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com

Never owned a 'new' boat.
However, my previous boat was 36 year old by the time I sold her.
And I (the 5th owner) owned her for 15 years - far longer than any of the previous 4 owners.