How old is your boat?

How old is your boat?

• Total voters

V1701

Visit site
Mine (Colvic Watson 34) was moulded in the late '70's and sold to 1st owner for home completion, then changed hands twice, fitting out only began in 2006 & she was launced in 2011 so how old is she?

johnalison

Visit site
We collected ours in May 2000, saving a fortune in delivery costs and having a lovely cruise into the bargain. This is her two days old. My friend John in red had just affixed the name vinyls which his firm had made for me. He used to sail an Etap 34 'Moonstone' but became ill with Parkinsons and died from a heart attack and ?Covid last year. We are in Smögen enjoying a seafood lunch.
21.jpg

geem

Visit site
You'll be giving some members apoplexy by saying that, Tim. ;) The days of her needing to carry a hundred tools, including 13 power tools, to keep her afloat together with the smell of volatile organic compounds competing with mildew and mould below deck are a way off just yet. I'll have hung my sea boots before that time comes. (y)

DSC_0032.JPG
Did my joke touch a raw nerve? If you sailed over here you would know that mold is not something that troubles boats when you don't get the fridge like temperatures of the UK.
Having done a major refit on our boat whilst in the UK, my power tools get most use fixing AWB ?. I do like a good project though. What would I have to do if I had an immaculate AWB that never needs anything doing cos it never moves far?

rotrax

Visit site
Our lovely lady is like this one. She was built in Largo, Florida in 2007 and launched in Chichester Marina in 2008. The first owner neglected her and she was in a bit of a state when we purchased her. Good thing too - we would not have been able to afford her otherwise!
Hard work and the inherant Island Packet build quality soon had her up together.
We love her. Our oilies have not been used while sailing for seven seasons. I put mine on twice when coming alongside in the pissing rain. I sometimes wear my seaboots and salopettes when washing her.

Attachments

• ThumbWallpaper_SP_Cruiser.jpg
    ThumbWallpaper_SP_Cruiser.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 26

Lightwave395

Visit site
33 years old this year ( the boat that is) doesn't seem like it looks that old, at least to me, owned since 2005, completely gutted when purchased and refitted top to bottom, later designed keel, resprayed in 2015, not an old classic but she's fast, spacious and safe in all weathers, still looks good to me for her age too:

Outside:

Quiberon 2019.jpg

Inside:

Companionway.jpg

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Mine (Colvic Watson 34) was moulded in the late '70's and sold to 1st owner for home completion, then changed hands twice, fitting out only began in 2006 & she was launced in 2011 so how old is she?
I have the same dilemma with my Covic Countess, moulded in the early '80's stood in 1st owners garden for about 10 years where some work was done, 2nd owner bought it in '94, took him 3 years to complete, commissioned and had it in the water for 3 years when I bought it in 2000.
Is it 25 or 38 YO?

Skylark

Visit site
Did my joke touch a raw nerve?
Not at all, my comment was meant to be humorous but seemingly went over your head ?
What would I have to do if I had an immaculate AWB that never needs anything doing cos it never moves far?
We chose to buy new for max enjoyment while leaving plenty of free time to keep busy by our many and varied other hobbies. Full time sailing would too much of a compromise for our lifestyle.

I do like a good project though.
Here’s one for your 100+ tools including 13 power tools.
6771D59F-6989-49C3-90E6-AEF3FCDE70EF.jpeg

oldgit

Visit site
A previous boat.
Transocean 37. Hull and Topsides moulded in 1974 by Aquafibre at Brundell to a design Herbert Woods of Norfolk.
First owner spent 30 Years building it in his various back gardens. Finally launched in 2005 and sold shortly afterwards.
We put a 1000 trouble free hours on the clocks including a trip to Dunkerque. Sold it to a chap would took it back to Norfolk, she would be 45 years old now.