How old is your boat?

How old is your boat?

• Total voters

geem

Visit site
Not at all, my comment was meant to be humorous but seemingly went over your head ?

We chose to buy new for max enjoyment while leaving plenty of free time to keep busy by our many and varied other hobbies. Full time sailing would too much of a compromise for our lifestyle.

Here’s one for your 100+ tools including 13 power tools.
View attachment 130047
We don't do fulltime sailing either. We do fell running, hiking, (every peak of the Caribbean), kite surfing, diving and paddle boarding.
Ps is there a fragile AWB under there? ?

underdog

Visit site
Great to see so many responses. With 75% us sailing 30=60 year old boats I think we must be practical boat owners'.
Having spent the afternoon extracting my old heads and finding that the replacement unit I had bought didn't have the same footprint, despite being the same make and model. Sometimes I wish I could afford a modern boat that didn't require my constant attention.

Sea-Fever

Visit site
Great to see so many responses. With 75% us sailing 30=60 year old boats I think we must be practical boat owners'.
Having spent the afternoon extracting my old heads and finding that the replacement unit I had bought didn't have the same footprint, despite being the same make and model. Sometimes I wish I could afford a modern boat that didn't require my constant attention.

Don’t kid yourself….I bet even a 5 year old boat needs plenty of jobs doing.

oldgit

Visit site
Biting the hand that feeds ?
Do you think there might be an opening in the magazine market aimed at the owners of the type of boats listed above.:LOL:
As opposed to some glossy advert heavy coffee table missive of entry level boats starting 1Mn, with essential details about the number of berths in the crew cabin and a tender price that would probably buy a entire fleet of the boats mentioned above.

Nope me neither . :)

Tranona

Visit site
What would I have to do if I had an immaculate AWB that never needs anything doing cos it never moves far?

Quite simple. You buy a 1979 Golden Hind 31 that needs "improving" and sell the immaculate 2015 Bavaria.

New Boat boatshed.com/golden_hind_31-boat-303654.html

Old Boat yachtworld.co.uk/yacht/2015-bavaria-cruiser-33-8160331/

Problem I found with tools is that not having used them seriously for 20 years, some of them are knackered. Fired the saw bench up to rip some 40 year old mahogany and it screeched then died. Drill stand was seized and old B&D drill in it also made a banshee wail. Bewildering choice of new kit to spend money on, but German/Chinese bandsaw has earned its keep already.

doug748

Visit site
Biting the hand that feeds ?
Do you think there might be an opening in the magazine market aimed at the owners of the type of boats listed above.:LOL:
As opposed to some glossy advert heavy coffee table missive of entry level boats starting 1Mn, with essential details about the number of berths in the crew cabin and a tender price that would probably buy a entire fleet of the boats mentioned above.

Nope me neither . :)

Here you go:

Good Old Boat - Inspiring hands-on sailors.

1644401528670.png

geem

Visit site
Quite simple. You buy a 1979 Golden Hind 31 that needs "improving" and sell the immaculate 2015 Bavaria.

New Boat boatshed.com/golden_hind_31-boat-303654.html

Old Boat yachtworld.co.uk/yacht/2015-bavaria-cruiser-33-8160331/

Problem I found with tools is that not having used them seriously for 20 years, some of them are knackered. Fired the saw bench up to rip some 40 year old mahogany and it screeched then died. Drill stand was seized and old B&D drill in it also made a banshee wail. Bewildering choice of new kit to spend money on, but German/Chinese bandsaw has earned its keep already.
To be fair, we carry a lot of tools. I enjoy making stuff and have helped cruisers with broken stuff. It's a hobby for me as much as anything. I enjoyed refurbishing my 27 year old generator recently. We got a quote for a new 5kVA machine at £10.5k. we stripped ours down and got new varistors fitted.we thought it needed a rewind but that had been done at some point in its life. We replaced the fresh water pump, replaced some oil gaskets, replaced some wiring, removed 27 yrs of crud and grime from under and behind it and degreased it. We then resprayed it and replaced the plinth it sits on and also replaced the acoustic insulation. The whole job cost less than £300. So now I feel like I am £10k better off?.
I am also a Practical boat owner?

Concerto

Visit site
During the renovation of Concerto, the tool I used most was my Fein multitool. They are expensive, especially once you buy all the little extras for specific jobs. The main thing is they are an industrial quality tool and have the lowest vibration of any powertool, so can be used for an extended time. Then a good battery drill/screwdriver is next on the list. Although I have a saw bench, drill stand and bandsaw, I rarely used them. In preference the jig saw and hand held circular saw lived in my car for months as they could be used at the boat. Occasionally I used one of my routers or router table, but do not have a planer. So maybe you do not need to spend a lot in replacing your major woodworking tools.

dunedin

Visit site
Maybe it's due to the owners of such boats being, through necessity, more likely to be practical men (after all, this thread is in the PBO forum! ) :D
Yes, wonder what the results would be in the Mobo forum .

But also a lot of the people with funds to buy new boats are either busy at work - or busy sailing round the world :cool:

dunedin

Visit site
Not at all, my comment was meant to be humorous but seemingly went over your head ?

We chose to buy new for max enjoyment while leaving plenty of free time to keep busy by our many and varied other hobbies. Full time sailing would too much of a compromise for our lifestyle.

Here’s one for your 100+ tools including 13 power tools.
View attachment 130047
Is that the starter for a new caption competition thread?

Tranona

Visit site
I misunderstood your post. I thought that you had come to your senses and cut-up the wooden boat for fire wood and kept the Bavaria. ???
No. Fully committed now. Survey last week and just some small electrical jobs to complete then handover to the lucky new owner.

No regrets. Had 6 years that I never expected, and now have (hopefully) an even more unexpected 5 years doing something different. The GH is only half wood and busily filling the GRP bit with more wood from my 40 year old stockpile.