How much work needed on a power boat?

Adetheheat

Visit site
I heard that boats need lots of work doing to them. I've had my power boat for 18 months and it's 14 years old but sofar it's just been like maintaining a car. You need an engine service/antifoul once a year and maybe other minor things like new battery in between.
Is this always the case? I mean if I go up to a 10 or 12 metre boat does it need much more work doing - I mean if the boat doesn't have mega complex electrics etc then Is it just like I've experienced so far?
Thanks

kashurst

Visit site
Ordinarily you are right. The engines need an annual service.
Outdrives need a bi annual service
The engine cooling system will need cleaning out periodically , that depends on location and usage
A generator needs an annual service
12v batteries seem to last 5 to 8 years
Aircon pumps need new seals
Aircon heat exchangers will need flushing eventually and the air handlers need cleaning every few years. Otherwise they lose efficiency and start to smell.
Toilets can be temperamental depending on the design
Bilge pump float switches seem to be even more flaky than they were twenty years ago

Then there is the occasional electrical wiring issue, cleaning, polishing, replacing canvas covers and inevitably upholstery.

So overall not much work when spread out but some boats are worse than others. I had a 10 year old Rodman 38 and that was good as gold. Previously I had a 7 year old sealine T50 that never 100% worked there was always something wrong.

Lack of use and incompetent service people seem to be the root of many issues. Equally a LOT of use wears stuff out faster. In some cases poor design makes servicing more difficult and stuff which is important doesn't get done resulting in a much bigger job.

Last edited:

julians

Visit site
I heard that boats need lots of work doing to them. I've had my power boat for 18 months and it's 14 years old but sofar it's just been like maintaining a car. You need an engine service/antifoul once a year and maybe other minor things like new battery in between.
Is this always the case? I mean if I go up to a 10 or 12 metre boat does it need much more work doing - I mean if the boat doesn't have mega complex electrics etc then Is it just like I've experienced so far?
Thanks
WHat boat/engine/drive do you have now?

When youtalk about going up to a 10/12metre boat - what kind of boat/engine/drive would that likely be?

SC35

Visit site
My Fix List ...

- Upgrade Strainer Lids
- Fresh water system leak
- Holding tank sender wiring
- Replace horn
- Cockpit cushion repair
- Volt Meter Fuse
- Windscreen leak
- Weather Station fix
- Replace Seawater pump
- Replace Propellor Hub
- Replace Crankcase hoses
- Gelcoat Cracks in deck
- Outdrive Tie Bar U/S
- Cupboard door latches corroded
- Canopy securing ring missing and tie up u/s
- Water leak from Trim Tab
- Repair 12v Socket
- Repair 240v Socket
- Toilet seat hinge
- Replace Bow Thruster Battery
- Service Macerator Pump (Yuck)
- Remove Mould in Lower Cabin
- Fix blind guide
- Clean and patch canvas roof
- Clean Holding tank sensor
- Fix Television
- Replace Cockpit speakers
- Strip and Clean Seawater Cooling System
- Replace Domestic Batteries
- Replace Starter Battery
- Fix Fuel Gauge
- Replace Shower Pump Box
- Replace Port Engine HCU
- Fit new H4 Propellors
- Replace Cockpit Seat Covers
- Replace sliding canvas roof in cockpit
- Re-seal around front windscreens
- Refit Rusty portholes x8
- Replace interior rust-stained fabric where the portholes have leaked in forward cabin
- Replace corroded mirrors in bathroom
- Replace interior lights with LEDs
- Fit New Cockpit Fridge
- Fit Larger Rocna Anchor

nicho

Visit site
My Fix List ...

- Upgrade Strainer Lids
- Replace horn
- Cockpit cushion repair
- Volt Meter Fuse
- Windscreen leak
- Weather Station fix
- Replace Seawater pump
- Replace Propellor Hub
- Gelcoat Cracks in deck
- Outdrive Tie Bar U/S
- Repair 12v Socket
- Repair 240v Socket
- Toilet seat hinge
- Fix blind guide
- Fix Television
- Fix Fuel Gauge
- Fit new H4 Propellors
- Replace interior rust-stained fabric where the portholes have leaked in forward cabin
- Fit New Cockpit Fridge
Should be finished for the 2025 season then!

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
My Fix List ...

- Upgrade Strainer Lids
- Replace horn
- Cockpit cushion repair
- Volt Meter Fuse
- Windscreen leak
- Weather Station fix
- Replace Seawater pump
- Replace Propellor Hub
- Gelcoat Cracks in deck
- Outdrive Tie Bar U/S
- Repair 12v Socket
- Repair 240v Socket
- Toilet seat hinge
- Fix blind guide
- Fix Television
- Fix Fuel Gauge
- Fit new H4 Propellors
- Fit New Cockpit Fridge
I can tick most of those and add some. It is over 45 years of boating though. :)

julians

Visit site
Beneteau Antares. Was half thinking about a Swift Trawler 10 to 14metre.
Antares with an outboard? If its an outboard powered boat then you pretty much have the simplest/most reliable boat set up there is, it gets more complicated/expensive as you go to inboard/diesel/outdrives/trimtabs/pods/heater/aircon/bowthruster/sternthruster/stabilisers/water maker etc etc

Last edited:

Richard.C

Visit site
Thanks

My very approximate experience and what I'm learning to expect is that I get 1 or 2 years with basic maintenance items plus a couple of extra smaller costs of repair. Then every 3rd year or so tends to be a bigger bill, something of more significant cost to replace, cockpit canopy, bathing platform teak, domestic batteries, etc.

I try to spread it out across years as much as I can but sometimes you'll get surprised by a failure.

At the end of the day as you go bigger there tends to be more on board to go wrong and bigger stuff costs more.

Richard

bowler

Visit site
Agree with all the above. Plus the cost of moving it anywhere. Cranes, time on the hard etc. to do any work underneath which is likely an annual thing.

PlanB

Visit site
When we bought our 10 year old boat we drew up a list a bit like SC35s, but no matter how many jobs we did, the list got longer. So we abandoned it and took the approach "is the boat sinking, is it a safety issue or is it annoying the hell out of me" to decide on jobs to do.

SC35

Visit site
When we bought our 10 year old boat we drew up a list a bit like SC35s, but no matter how many jobs we did, the list got longer. So we abandoned it and took the approach "is the boat sinking, is it a safety issue or is it annoying the hell out of me" to decide on jobs to do.

I have discovered that being an owner of an older boat and being a perfectionist is not always a happy combination.

Greg2

Visit site
I have discovered that being an owner of an older boat and being a perfectionist is not always a happy combination.
It’s a curse! 😉

I like to get our boats how we want them and I kinda enjoy the various projects. Currently on the third winter of a refit of our Hardy and the hours and cost don‘t really bear thinking about but somehow it is all worth it as the season begins and we can enjoy using the boat 😁

Mr Googler

Visit site
It’s a curse! 😉

I like to get our boats how we want them and I kinda enjoy the various projects. Currently on the third winter of a refit of our Hardy and the hours and cost don‘t really bear thinking about but somehow it is all worth it as the season begins and we can enjoy using the boat 😁
Don’t believe you……need pictures to confirm this refit is actually taking place 😉

Greg2

Visit site
Don’t believe you……need pictures to confirm this refit is actually taking place 😉

Fair comment I guess 😁

Here’s a couple that show something is happening…

One of the engines on its way out of the boat

IMG_3202.jpeg

Lots of space in the engine bay to work without hanging upside down like a fruit bat

IMG_3245.jpeg

Alicatt

Visit site
Just paid my yearly dues for my berth and club membership, so for my 7.5m "lack of power" boat ;) the berth is just over £275.
There are not too many facilities at the club, just the essentials, electrics and water are on the dock to plug into, and there are toilets, showers, washing machine/drier, and sanitary disposal available at the clubhouse.

I priced up going to the marina at the end of the canal for a lift out for a couple of weeks to scrape, paint the hull and check and replace any anodes that need it, the cost would be in the £600 to £685 region just for the lift out and hire of the trestles to sit the boat on for the couple of weeks as I'm not a member of that marina, that's nearly 3 times the cost of a year's berthing :oops:

I have since been informed that there is another lift out site in the opposite direction that is a lot more cost effective, I'm going there as crew on another club member's boat while he get's lifted out and repainted, this should also be my first trip through a Vlammse Waterweg Sluis and will get to see how exactly it operates.

Also looking into a trailer for the boat but it might have to be custom made or a big modification to a second hand trailer to incorporate the skeg and saildrive, was quoted €6k at the Boot show by a local trailer builder for a new trailer modified to incorporate the saildrive and a flat bottomed boat.
Saildrive1SM.jpg

Bouba

Visit site
My Fix List ...

- Upgrade Strainer Lids
- Replace horn
- Cockpit cushion repair
- Volt Meter Fuse
- Windscreen leak
- Weather Station fix
- Replace Seawater pump
- Replace Propellor Hub
- Gelcoat Cracks in deck
- Outdrive Tie Bar U/S
- Repair 12v Socket
- Repair 240v Socket
- Toilet seat hinge
- Fix blind guide
- Fix Television
- Fix Fuel Gauge
- Fit new H4 Propellors
- Fit New Cockpit Fridge
That’s not much of a list…is it folded in half 🤷🏼‍♂️