Votes: 36 11.7%
  • More than 100 miles

Votes: 73 23.8%
  • Live aboard

Votes: 8 2.6%

• Total voters

Greemble

www.lowestoftcruisingclub.co.uk
I hope no-one is genuinely upset by my sending a link to this poll to the RYA - this is, after all, a public forum. And to one or two peoples' comments, I'd like to say that I am not trying to make a case in any direction. My intent was simply to increase the amount of information available, as the issue of the distance to our boats seemed to be getting lost when the issue of access to our boats is discussed.

I was surprised and pleased by the number of responses, and feel that we have a useful data point here, backed by a significant sample. I hope that it can be used to inform debate.
Maybe another poll for those in favour / those against?

Only kidding - No worry from me.
Kind of interesting results, too

prv

Visit site
I’m almost exactly a mile from the boat, albeit that’s as the crow flies rather than following the roads.

The risk of me infecting anyone (or vice versa) by driving to the boat and then going for a day-sail (or indeed anchoring somewhere overnight) is practically nil, and certainly a lot less than walking to the busy park for some Boris-approved exercise while being breathed all over by passing joggers.

I’m following the rules, but it’s undeniably frustrating that they appear to be based on London people’s conception of “morally appropriate” exercise instead of actual risk.

There is admittedly an argument that if stupid people see others enjoying themselves in risk-free ways, they will decide to go and enjoy themselves in ways that are not risk-free.

Pete

shaunksb

Visit site
I’m 201 miles to Bradwell at the moment and do the trip around three out of every four weeks.

I’ve decided this is to far so I’m about to move to the Solent as it’s only 198 miles away but shaves 20mins off the journey.

Neeves

Visit site
Pilot,

I wish I had known you were going to submit the results to Bureaucracy as my vote lacks validity (and there may be others). I live quite close to our yacht, it takes no time to get there and I can transit without interfacing with anyone, except my wife who normally would accompany me.

Sadly I live 17,000km from the jurisdiction of your bureaucrats (making the yacht around 16,999km from them :) ) - and lock down is being eased here.

Apologies

Jonathan

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Pilot,

I wish I had known you were going to submit the results to Bureaucracy as my vote lacks validity (and there may be others). I live quite close to our yacht, it takes no time to get there and I can transit without interfacing with anyone, except my wife who normally would accompany me.

Sadly I live 17,000km from the jurisdiction of your bureaucrats (making the yacht around 16,999km from them :) ) - and lock down is being eased here.

Apologies

Jonathan
Don't worry - I started out motivated by pure curiosity, especially as some debates seemed to assume that we all live within a short distance from our boats, and I don't! It was only when I realized that we had a large sample that I thought the RYA might be interested and find it useful. The sample is certainly large enough that a few anomalies such as people keeping boats in other countries will not alter the overall picture.

I was struck by the fact that the percentages have changed very little once we had more that about 100 responses, indicating (but not proving) that the results are robust.

Tomaret

Visit site
45 mins from home to casting off, provided the Hampshire Constabulary don’t take too close an interest. I need to go up my mast so I’m sure I could pass the exercise for longer than you drive test, and the yard is still open, but I’ve yet to fall prey to temptation.

My wife seems to think that gardening is an adequate substitute.

Momac

Visit site
Well, I'd guess that about half the land area of England is more than 50 miles from sailable salt water. I could check it out! I live near Ely, and the nearest marina is at Ipswich, and I actually keep her at Titchmarsh. Technically Kings Lynn is possible, but a) there are few if any facilities for sea going leisure boats and b) I had enough of shallow, muddy estuaries when I was a youngster!

Last time I visited Ely there was marina there with lots of boats , but probably none with sails.

The poll doesn't differentiate between inland waters and the coast , nor the type of boat. I expect people have responded who keep their motorboat on a river or canal. others may sail on inland waters.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Last time I visited Ely there was marina there with lots of boats , but probably none with sails.

The poll doesn't differentiate between inland waters and the coast , nor the type of boat. I expect people have responded who keep their motorboat on a river or canal. others may sail on inland waters.
True, but judging by other posts, this forum mainly attracts salt water sailors. However, it doesn't matter - the principles are the same.

srm

Visit site
No point in having a boat and not being able to go sailing when you have an hour or more to spare.
My cruising boat ownership has been continuous since 1974 but I have never lived more than a 15 minutes drive from the boat's home base. Exceptions where initial months of ownership or leaving a boat with a yard for sale when it could be 500 miles or more from home.

magicol

Visit site
Thanks Pilot, and we’ll done for setting this poll up and for pointing it out to the RYA. I am an hour and quarter from my boat and like others, very frustrated at this lockdown. But...Stay Home; Help the NHS; Save Lives. Clear and easy for everybody to understand. Still I could see several boat owners on their boats in my marina on the webcams today. So, when the restrictions are eased, I don’t want the RYA or anyone arguing for more favourable treatment for sailors over climbers, golfers, caravanners, fishermen or anyone else. I do want clarity however, because even with the restrictions so clearly defined as they are now, threads on this forum show how people want to push the boundaries. This will only get worse as restrictions are eased. The RYA should be acting on behalf of sailors explaining what we need and pressing for this clarity on our behalf.