Votes: 36 11.7%
  • More than 100 miles

Votes: 73 23.8%
  • Live aboard

Votes: 8 2.6%

• Total voters

oldgit

Visit site
Posh marinas would probably have less locals. The swing moorings where I am are far from posh, and are mostly locals.

Not strictly true. ?
Our boat club has many members who live some considerable distance away, and a 2 hour commute via M25.
The furthest away lives near the Solent, which might tell you a lot about the delights of boating on the Solent.
Another lives next door to the Thames in the (Royal County of ) Berkshire. (See above )

Last edited:

Skylark

Visit site
I'm really surprised that currently 23.5% live more than 100 miles away.

It must be the pulling power of the west coast of Scotland ? . :unsure:

My one way distance from south Manchester is around 250 miles to the west coast of Scotland.

Pulling power indeed. Warm and welcoming people, very many cruising options and stunning scenery. The very thought of it is helping to keep me healthy during house arrest.

Stemar

Visit site
Before retirement we were 80 miles from our club mooring; now we're 15 miles.

Hardway's been called a few things in it's time, mostly things like friendly, cheap and muddy*, but probably not posh. You will find the odd consultant and director on the pontoon, but you're more likely to meet a chippy or plasterer.

*Muddy is a big advantage when you want to park a deep fin on a drying pontoon :)

johnalison

Visit site
I've no real idea about distance but it's half an hour by car. My classification is based on function rather than distance.
A. Bottom of the garden, or pop on and off as you wish.
B. Screwdriver distance. Close enough to go home for a screwdriver rather than buy a replacement at the chandlers'.
C. Day sail distance. Close enough to be worth going in the morning and come back later after a sail.
D. Overnight distance. Too far for a day trip and back.
E. Pack for a week.

I am currently C but have been D in the past.

Habebty

Visit site
That may well be true. But how far from water where you can keep a boat? I'm about 20 miles from the nearest sea - but said sea is at the bottom end of the Wash, and there are no salt-water facilities for yachts.

I really must see if I can do an analysis of this - it was my profession!

I believe Northampton is the place in the UK where you can get furthest from the sea.

Refueler

Visit site
Posh Marina ... love it !!

Port Solent is built partly on top of landfill ... - cross the road from car park and you can see the 'gas collection' pipes and thermal gear salvaging the gas and heat produced by the refuse under !

bdh198

Visit site
Posh Marina ... love it !!

Port Solent is built partly on top of landfill ... - cross the road from car park and you can see the 'gas collection' pipes and thermal gear salvaging the gas and heat produced by the refuse under !

Landfill to country park (although the summer 2020 opening was a little optimistic!)...

Portsmouth's new country park will be '˜the gem in the city's crown' Â

They have also ‘finally’ started building the motorway noise barrier as well...

Date set for construction of 3m-high noise barrier on the M27 - with closures and diversion announced

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
It is an interesting set of figures.

I moved the boat from the Exe to Plymouth as the house to slipping the mooring was faster. I did not need to sort the dingy out then chug out to the boat in the rain,

Refueler

Visit site
Its funny that even with the boat literally out the back door - I have done less work on her ... used her less than when she was a flight and drive away back in UK.

I think the being right there has something to do with it .. when in UK - she cost me about 2K a year mooring fee ... so each time back to UK - I made time to use her. Now she's in my own private channel and costs me 0 ... hard to explain but often I say to wife - I fancy and afternoon ... bit of a sail on the boat today ... then I
Tomorrow is start of Boat Fishing .... so plan is out on river with the Soviet mobo and try get some Pike ...