Votes: 36 11.7%
  • More than 100 miles

Votes: 73 23.8%
  • Live aboard

Votes: 8 2.6%

• Total voters

xyachtdave

Visit site
Posh marinas would probably have less locals. The swing moorings where I am are far from posh, and are mostly locals.

'Arrghhh...local moorings for local people!'

Less than a mile (675 meters according to Google Maps), and she is in a “posh marina”.

'The marina is rather convenient for access from ones primary residence, some might describe it as 'posh' but it's adequate for our needs,'

MikeB.

Visit site
My local airfield would be around 30 miles away, to which I could legally drive to carry out essential checks on my parked up Light Aircraft under GA rules from the CAA quite legitimately.
My craft is in the marina which is around 10ft from my front gate and I am not allowed to enter!

Refueler

Visit site
Well, I'd guess that about half the land area of England is more than 50 miles from sailable salt water. I could check it out! I live near Ely, and the nearest marina is at Ipswich, and I actually keep her at Titchmarsh. Technically Kings Lynn is possible, but a) there are few if any facilities for sea going leisure boats and b) I had enough of shallow, muddy estuaries when I was a youngster!

There's an old saying that in UK - you are never more than 50 miles from the sea .. (I think in actual fact - its about 60 ... )

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
There's an old saying that in UK - you are never more than 50 miles from the sea .. (I think in actual fact - its about 60 ... )
That may well be true. But how far from water where you can keep a boat? I'm about 20 miles from the nearest sea - but said sea is at the bottom end of the Wash, and there are no salt-water facilities for yachts.

I really must see if I can do an analysis of this - it was my profession!

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
I'm really surprised that currently 23.5% live more than 100 miles away.

It must be the pulling power of the west coast of Scotland ? . :unsure:

Nothing to do with the West Coast of Scotland (wouldn't say no though, it's high on my "to sail to" list0

We live in Northamptonshire and we're 102 miles from the boat in Essex and we're far from unique. There are some slightly closer places we could keep the boat but not that much closer

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I'm really surprised that currently 23.5% live more than 100 miles away.

I think it's to do with long stretches of the coast having no suitable harbours. There's nothing except the Humber between Scarborough and Wells, for example, and not many places north of Wales on the Irish sea . Also, many harbours dry and are unsuitable for fin or long keel designs.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Which boat? My 'main' boat is currently ashore about 35 miles away (but normally afloat just over 50 miles away).

For the moment, I would love to be exercising by paddling my kayak or Canadian canoe, which would be launched about 10 or 15 minutes drive away, and commensurate with how far I can legitimately drive for exercise (e.g. walking or cycling), but I can't face the potential aggro from vigilantes and jobsworths who don't even know what the legislation and guidance actually says.

Motor_Sailor

Visit site

Certainly is. There's a group of five of us round here, all live in north Lancashire / S Cumbria, who all have our boats between 260 and 326 miles away.

By chance I have mine back here for some major work at the moment, but these days the traditional annual migration from the NW of England to and from the west coast of Scotland seems to be a thing of the past. Now there's lots of choice of places to overwinter up there and the roads are good enough to make going to and from only a pain rather than a complete no-no.

Uricanejack

Visit site
My home address, is on the same Island as my boat. About 14 Km from my door. I also have a mono on a trailer in my driveway approx 3 km to boat launch.
However. I work off Island, and have chosen not to go home at the moment, So currently about 50K plus athree hour ferry ride.
if at work around 1600Km.