How do i attach this to my speader?

Crinan12

Visit site
Hi, the thing that my lazy Jack's run through has come off my spreader.

What's the easiest way to re- fix it?

Do I need to buy a riveting tool?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20240301_150418.jpg
    20240301_150418.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 91

Refueler

Visit site
Pop rivets - which is probably why its come away after the flange heads corroded .... the white crud tells me that !!

Or self-tapper screws.

Make sure that Duralac or similar barrier is used as that pad eye is likely stainless and your spreader is anodised alloy

ylop

Visit site
Hi, the thing that my lazy Jack's run through has come off my spreader.

What's the easiest way to re- fix it?

Do I need to buy a riveting tool?

Thanks
Can you not look at the one on the otherside? If it was riveted presumably you want it so again, but as a quick fix and nut and bolt would do a job - making sure to use some method to stop it comings loose (locktite, nylon nut, etc)

Refueler

Visit site
Can you not look at the one on the otherside? If it was riveted presumably you want it so again, but as a quick fix and nut and bolt would do a job - making sure to use some method to stop it comings loose (locktite, nylon nut, etc)

???? Nut and bolt ? Are yo suggesting he put a hole top and bottom of the spreader ?? Surely not ??

Crinan12

Visit site

The other one is riveted, just wondered if something an easier way as I don't have riveting stuff
If I can use screws that is good!

Not sure how nut and bolt would work because it's my spreader - unless I'm being stupid :)

Crinan12

Visit site
Pop rivets - which is probably why its come away after the flange heads corroded .... the white crud tells me that !!

Or self-tapper screws.

Make sure that Duralac or similar barrier is used as that pad eye is likely stainless and your spreader is anodised alloy

Thanks, self tapping screws sound within my capability.

Had never heard of Duralac - another thing to buy!

johnalison

Visit site
Pop riveting is not hard, and for a small job like this it doesn’t have to be fancy or expensive equipment. Even a muffin like me can manage it when sitting in a bosun’s chair. I wouldn’t have thought that the gauge of metal on a spreader would make it a good base for s/t screws, especially as the stress will be longitudinal, so to speak.

Refueler

Visit site
Pop riveting is not hard, and for a small job like this it doesn’t have to be fancy or expensive equipment. Even a muffin like me can manage it when sitting in a bosun’s chair. I wouldn’t have thought that the gauge of metal on a spreader would make it a good base for s/t screws, especially as the stress will be longitudinal, so to speak.

Pop rivet vs Self Tapper ..... 6 of one - half dozen of other ...

The Pop Rivet will have better holding in the spreader because of the spread tube part inside ... but the external head holding the pad eye is the weak part.
The Self Tapper has a strong head - but weaker grip via threads to the spreader ... so IMHO - they both have similar outcome.

johnphilip

Visit site
A single hole right through the spreader is hardly going to endanger the structural integrity of the spreader. Put a small eyebolt right through the section, easy to sleeve it to provide isolation. Either pass the lazyjack through the eye or shackle a mini block onto the bolt.
For example Proboat Eye Bolt Commercial - Stainless Steel
But do use a Nylock nut above the eyebolt or at least distort the thread so the nut cannot rattle off.

Last edited:

doug748

Visit site
As post 2. I would avoid any stainless fixing where you can, Something like this would do the job and includes the rivets:

WORKPRO 5-in-1 Rivet Gun Set 10-Inch Pop Riveter with 2.4/3.2/4/4.8/6.4mm Nozzle | eBay

They are ally but easy to pull and I have found them fine for light duty. If you want a Rolls Royce job you can buy Monel rivets which are stronger, chandlers sell them, or Ebay. Do use Duralac, or similar, as ,mentioned

Poignard

Visit site
If the OP's boat has a topping lift and not a boom strut, there is always the possibility that, as a result of accident or carelessness, the lazy-jacks may suddenly be bearing the weight of the boom and the furled mainsail.

For this reason, it seems to me that they and their point of attachment must be at least as strong as a topping lift.

I don't think a single pop-rivet into an aluminium spreader is good enough.

I would either do as johnphilip recommends (post #12) and through bolt or, as I have done on my boat, not have the lazy jacks suspended from the spreaders at all but instead from cheek blocks riveted with 4 rivets each to the sides of the mast.

Last edited:

ylop

Visit site
The other one is riveted, just wondered if something an easier way as I don't have riveting stuff
If I can use screws that is good!

Not sure how nut and bolt would work because it's my spreader - unless I'm being stupid :)
No I was being stupid I was forgetting spreaders are hollow so assuming rivited through anyway.

Crinan12

Visit site
If the OP's boat has a topping lift and not a boom strut, there is always the possibility that, as a result of accident or carelessness, the lazy-jacks may suddenly be bearing the weight of the boom and the furled mainsail.

For this reason, it seems to me that they and their point of attachment must be at least as strong as a topping lift.

I don't think a single pop-rivet into an aluminium spreader is good enough.

I would either do as johnphilip recommends (post #12) and through bolt or, as I have done on my boat, not have the lazy jacks suspended from the spreaders at all but instead from cheek blocks riveted with 4 rivets each to the sides of the mast.
I do have a topping lift and it's never occurred to me that the lazyjacks could be taking the weight of the sail and boom
A single hole right through the spreader is hardly going to endanger the structural integrity of the spreader. Put a small eyebolt right through the section, easy to sleeve it to provide isolation. Either pass the lazyjack through the eye or shackle a mini block onto the bolt.
For example Proboat Eye Bolt Commercial - Stainless Steel
But do use a Nylock nut above the eyebolt or at least distort the thread so the nut cannot rattle off.
What would you use to sleeve the eyebolt?
Thanks

William_H

Visit site
For info OP Duralac is a gooey yellow paste which is made for isolation of dissimilar metals where corrosion occurs. There are other similar products. Need it under the saddle feet.
Pop rivet was used originally and OK for replacement. I think stronger than self tapper screw. The problem is if you use a monel/stainless steel pop rivet or self tapper the corrosion will be primarily screw or rivet to spreader. ie the hole will get bigger. If you go aluminium pop rivet as previously used the corrosion will be pop rivet head to ss saddle so easily fixed with replacement rivet. So I would go aluminium pop rivet again. These can be set with cheap pop rivet pliers. While 4mm monel or SS will require more powerful rivet setting device. A good investment in long run but not needed for ali rivets. ol'will

Daydream believer

Visit site
Rivetting subject this
I would fix a lacing eye to the underside of the spreader. lacing eye. That could be fixed with 2 self tapping screws or pop rivets. They would have 2 new holes although if pop rivets then one could use the old hole provided corrosion has not weakened it. Use a 3mm shackle to connect a 20mm single sheathed pulley which would allow plenty of freedom of movement. A single point with limited play can work on the fixing, leading to failure
The 2 point fixing is far superior to one. Hopefully it will be sometime before the issue rears its ugly head again

Last edited:

Crinan12

Visit site
Thanks. Do I need to use a shackle at all or can the lazy jack just go straight through the lacing eye? Is chafe the issue?
Don't know if it makes a difference but our lazy jacks are the type that are just used to drop the sail and are then stowed away the rest of the time.

I actually read on another post that you can use a couple of cable ties to secure a shackle or whatever direct to the spreader -to avoid riveting or using screws. Doesn't sound very secure though!