Honda EU20i generator or other?

waynes world

Visit site
Hi folks.

I am looking at getting a small silent suitcase type genny in the near future for charging the batteries on my boat, just two 110`s when I get to use it, as a back up that is.
I was going to go with the EU10i as that would of been fine for that. Now though I could do with a little more power to run power tools, as in a bench drill, sanders jigsaws etc, largest being the circular saw at 1200w, so now I am going up to the EU20i as the max output is rated at 1600w, so enough, unless I get two to double the power, but then as the cost with be getting on a bit I may as well get cordless tools and a small EU10i and keep them charged while on site. ( I will be doing mobile repairs ) Just not keen on cordless tools.

Now then, I see that reviews online are good but I like to see from the real folks as to what they think, as I dont trust online reviews.

Can anybody vouch for these genny`s or suggest any other in a similar price range. Used being £600.

Thanks

Wayne:)

sarabande

Visit site
I have both the 1000W and 2000W versions.

Magnificent construction and functionality. Both start on 2nd or 3 pull even when left for 6 months. Ist pull if less.

Two 13A sockets, amazingly quiet, and not too heavy to carry for a few minutes.

Honda would be my automatic choice if I ever needed another genny.

And they are not exactly molly-coddled.
bHQldwX.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Momac

Visit site
Honda are very highly regarded .
I bought a much cheaper alternative generator as it is for occasional use . However at just over two years old and little use it developed a petrol leak last year and needed new fuel pipes. You don't want that sort of bother for regular use.
Next time I will get a Honda.

ctva

Visit site
I have the EU10i, fantastic bit of kit and the usual Honda quality. I opted for the small one as we carry it onboard to charge the batteries and small power tools. It is small enough to lift one handed out the locker which the bigger one is on the limit. As to cordless power tools, their quality these days might surprise you especially if you go for quality makes.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
I have a 20i and it is very good. The only issue I have is that it is not really suited to the marine environment so that some of the metal fittings are mild steel and the sea air soon starts to corrode them. If they were stainless steel it would not be a problem, of course. I've sprayed them with AC50 which seems to have halted the process but it's a bit messy. :(

Having said that, I reckon any other portable gennie would be worse.

Richard

maxi77

Visit site
I have the baby Kipor not quite as quiet as the Honda but a lot cheaper. Previously I had the 2Kw one and then sold it to another boat owner who was also happy with it.

Richard10002

Visit site
Bought an EU20i second hand in 2011. Used 3 or 4 days a week for 3 or 4 hours at a time. Never missed a beat provided the oil is topped up to almost overflowing.

It's heavy at 21kg. My wife would not be able to lift it on a regular basis. With hindsight I would have bought the EU10i at 13kg, and worked around its lower power.

Strolls

Visit site
The EU20i is probably the best small genny on the market at the moment.

The EU10i is not as good.

I'm on mobile so can't properly link, but search for what Pete Power has to say on this. He reckons he can get you a good deal on the EU20i and it's the generator he never worries about people having problems with.

The smaller genny in sarabande's photo is not an EU10i, but a previous generation, an older model which was indeed also very good (EM1000 or EX1000?). It's now starting to get harder to get spares for those, I think.

waynes world

Visit site
It sounds like there is very few against the EU20i, but for weight. I can cope with that for now. I may well get a EU10i just for the boat then and a 20 for the workshop . I will need the 20 first though as the boat is not ready yet. I am working on it though.

Non SS Metal parts I will keep wiped down with a good water sealer. Good point there ;)

Thanks guys. Better get saving

Murv

Visit site
Just be a bit careful on that budget, they hold really strong money.
I managed to pick up an EU20i on ebay a year or so ago for £600 (cheapest I could find)
Brilliant piece of kit, fired straight up, quiet, no problems on the test.
Tried it a couple of months later and it wouldn't start. Spent ages stripping it, bypassing switches etc before giving up and taking it to a repair workshop.
Turns out the thing was a fake and no chance of getting spares so it ended up being scrapped.

Previously I had a Hyundai (OK when working but very heavy and desperately unreliable) and a Kipor which worked well but was insanely noisy.

I now have a Briggs & Stratton which is OK but the noise is too intrusive for long use on the boat. But, it is cheap, and available brand new for under your budget.

Long story short; buy with care on that budget or, as above, you may well be surprised by modern cordless tools (I'm slowly becoming a convert.)

Bouba

Visit site
Wayne, I have a Honda EU20i. As everyone says it the best out there, it runs quietly on a low power draw otherwise it revs up loudly. This is not a problem on land as it’s not intrusive but it’s too much on a boat. Your crew won’t like it and, from personal experience, those anchored around you will complain (one yottie was actually begging me to turn it off). Because it’s petrol it needs to be well vented and on a deck down wind. You could build a soundproof box but this will be big and probably be a permanent feature on the outside of your boat.
I also have a Bosch cordless drill and angle grinder. I just love them! You’d be surprised how long a battery lasts.

waynes world

Visit site
For the boat use I plan to have a foldable bracket that hangs over the side/stern to sit the genny in when in use. otherwise stored below the rear deck.
I think I will look into 18v power tools. The Sanders will be run by the Benny but they don't draw much. Max 500 watt. I love my cordless drill and impact driver. Had them for about three years and still going strong. Even after all the graft they have done on my boat. Mainly a circular saw I need. Mine is on its last legs. And I like Makita.

Bouba

Visit site
I store mine in the lazaret and use it on the swim platform (you are going to fit a swim platform?). But I’ve only used it twice it’s so anti social it can fill the whole bay with sound. We are going inboard diesel genny now (should have done it from the beginning but I also thought the Honda would run silent) perhaps not the answer you want to hear.

fredrussell

Visit site
Agree with those above that say it’s a noisy machine. My bro has one and while it’s been faultless in operation I was surprised at the noise level. I would definitely suggest you hear one operating under load before shelling out the readies.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
I'd agree about noise under full load. We mainly use ours for battery charging on long stays at anchor. Barely audible when output around 500-700W if is at bows. I rarely bother as its acceptable on stern for 1-2 hours, even when we are sitting in cockpit. I don't think sound is too bad on nearby boats but try to run it when nobody on board.

Running one to heat water isn't a great idea, especially when charging at same time. Use for power tools is usually in short bursts, not an extended run and less likely to annoy others to same extent.

I haven't noticed any corrosion on ours. It gets an annual winter oil change, air filter clean, plug check/change, store with fogging oil and that's about it. Valve clearance adjustment at 200 hours is the only other work I've carried out.

I've always suspected that Honda prevent dealers offering discounts to keep the price high. It is a good quality item but I suspect it could be a lot cheaper for same quality. I does mean that depreciation is low once you have one.

Last edited:

jwilson

Visit site
Hi folks.
snipped ..... unless I get two to double the power ........

Not sure you can just connect two petrol AC genset outputs together to get double the wattage. I'd be interested to know what would happen, but I won't be trying it myself.

Dutch01527

Visit site
I have a Yamaha EF1000 (1kw peak). They also make a EF2000(2kw peak). Bullet proof and quiet. I would say as good, but not better, than the Honda. Similar list prices.

If I was buying new it would be the Honda because of the way they hold value. Second hand it would be the Yamaha for a better deal.

waynes world

Visit site
Thank you for all replies but these stood out for an answer.

Wayne, I have a Honda EU20i. As everyone says it the best out there, it runs quietly on a low power draw otherwise it revs up loudly. This is not a problem on land as it’s not intrusive but it’s too much on a boat. Your crew won’t like it and, from personal experience, those anchored around you will complain (one yottie was actually begging me to turn it off). Because it’s petrol it needs to be well vented and on a deck down wind. You could build a soundproof box but this will be big and probably be a permanent feature on the outside of your boat.
I also have a Bosch cordless drill and angle grinder. I just love them! You’d be surprised how long a battery lasts.

On board my boat it will only be charging, or 95% of the time unless i do a bit of work on the boat.

I store mine in the lazaret and use it on the swim platform (you are going to fit a swim platform?). But I’ve only used it twice it’s so anti social it can fill the whole bay with sound. We are going inboard diesel genny now (should have done it from the beginning but I also thought the Honda would run silent) perhaps not the answer you want to hear.

I'd agree about noise under full load. We mainly use ours for battery charging on long stays at anchor. Barely audible when output around 500-700W if is at bows. I rarely bother as its acceptable on stern for 1-2 hours, even when we are sitting in cockpit. I don't think sound is too bad on nearby boats but try to run it when nobody on board.

Running one to heat water isn't a great idea, especially when charging at same time. Use for power tools is usually in short bursts, not an extended run and less likely to annoy others to same extent.

I haven't noticed any corrosion on ours. It gets an annual winter oil change, air filter clean, plug check/change, store with fogging oil and that's about it. Valve clearance adjustment at 200 hours is the only other work I've carried out.

I've always suspected that Honda prevent dealers offering discounts to keep the price high. It is a good quality item but I suspect it could be a lot cheaper for same quality. I does mean that depreciation is low once you have one.

Faffer will not have a swim platform, to small a boat and the kind to have one. As said it will just have an aluminium frame that hangs over the side or ransom when used on Faffer to charge the two 110ah batteries, other wise will be for powering power tools when working on other folks boats if i need portable power. Just looking at cordless now so then i dont think it will rev high when charging a couple of 18V batteries or a 500w tool.....?

Not sure you can just connect two petrol AC genset outputs together to get double the wattage. I'd be interested to know what would happen, but I won't be trying it myself.

Just what i read here https://www.justgenerators.co.uk/honda-eu20i-generator.html on that, unless i read it wrong, it is in the `Honda EU20i Generator Details` section and says Parallel cables are available as an extra to allow the EU20i generator to be connected to other portable EU20i's to provide additional power.

Now after though on this and seen some good looking cordless i mite go for the EU10i as this should be fine for charging the two 110ah batteries and power power tools up to 500w when fairly quit, or is that just with the EU20i ?

decisions decisions :)

Oh and i would not mind going with another make but now i think i am stuck on a Honda due to the price holding a reliability.

Pete7

Visit site
There is a new Honda 2.2i out so might be worth ringing around for an 20i at a good price.

We sold our 20i after 4 years for nearly the purchase price. Buyer was delighted.

Pete