Scilly Isles - good time to plan visit for next year?

Marceline

Visit site
cheers so much everyone - really appreciated. I'll start to figure out various passage plans over the coming months and put some of those DaySkipper theory lessons to work :)

zoidberg

Visit site
I've used Padstow many times when in transit, but always got in there ahead of serious conditions. The pilotage in poor visibility is NOT easy.
There's really NO 'port of refuge' along that coast; Milford Haven/Dale is the only reliable all-weather, all-visibility, day or night 'port of refuge'. You'll probably pencil in Skomer Island and the SE corner of Lundy Isle as 'nooks where you could catch a few hours respite on the hook, but that's about it!

'A good offing', otherwise.

Goldie

Visit site
I’d suggest May/June before the islands get really busy as they tend to during school and/or French holidays.

There are a couple of good pilot books which would help your planning and are valuable around the islands. There’s also a small book full of local knowledge that was produced by ‘Scillypete’ of these fora. He’s a Scillonian and professional seaman but I don’t know if the book is still available and I made the mistake of lending mine and … 😡.

Do go, the islands are a superb cruising ground (but not a playground!) for sailors who prefer to forego marinas and are confident in their tidal calculations and their anchoring. My ‘top tip’ is to equip yourself with the largest scale charts that you can find. I use Admiralty which I think (from memory - sad isn’t it?) are 34 and 883.

dunedin

Visit site
When we were work time constrained for a summer cruise, we found it helpful to move the boat part way towards our intended location over a weekend before the holiday, and then return to there at the end of the holiday, before another weekend trip back to home base. Would that be feasible to get a bit closer to the Isles?

Last edited:

Marceline

Visit site
Thank you ever so much - really helpful and I'll look to get those pilot books

and really liking your idea Dunedin of getting the boat closer to a harbour the weekend before (y) that opens up all sorts of possible ideas :)

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
St Ives is a potential refuge but only for southerlies. I've twice used it to see out a passing gale.
It's different but just as an indicator: we think of three weeks as long enough to get to and from Scilly from Bristol and spend a reasonable time there. Once it was only a week!

Beneteau381

Visit site
Hi - we're hoping to do our first long distance cruise next year (rather than day sailing/weekends etc) and we're thinking about sailing down from North Wales to the Scilly Isles

Just wondering what are the better times of year weather wise to try and plan for this/book time off work etc ?

Hoping to book a couple of weeks off to get there and back and if weather's not great then I've got some back up ideas more locally etc, and if we're late getting back that's not too much off a prob as I can work remotely so if we're in a harbour(s) on return journey for a few weeks that's our fallback

We're much happier when places are quieter so doesn't have to be mid summer etc (if we even have a summer next year)
We have done it a couple of times from Holyhead. July/august. Leave HH early, get to Fishguard early evening. Next day go around the corner through Ramsay Sound then peel off direct to the Scillies. 24 hours later you are there. Park between Tresco and Bryer in New Grimsby Sound. Magical place. Your passage will be dermined by the tidal gates at Bardsey? and Ramsay Sound. We did a week there then Falmouth for a few days and returned n back to N Wales. Easily done in two weeks. Just choose your weeks to get good tidal gate times

Beneteau381

Visit site
Thank you ever so much - really helpful and I'll look to get those pilot books

and really liking your idea Dunedin of getting the boat closer to a harbour the weekend before (y) that opens up all sorts of possible ideas :)
If you want a copy of Fishwicks that I bought for my trip, it’s for sale for some beer tokens😂 I’m in North Wales, back next weekend

Channel Sailor

Visit site
I would suggest June. Then next is to consider Neaps or Springs, do you want to have a week there at Neaps then use the Spring tides to help you get there and back quickly (but in rougher seas). Then begs the question can your boat take to ground or is shallow draft. At Springs your anchoring space is much reduced, Anchorages such as Green Bay I recall are all weather and all tide, but dry to hard sand.