Honda 2.3 outboard

Mark-1

Visit site
Not entirely correct....if there was vacuum inside the bowl it wouldnt work. The bowl has an overflow/breather. If you look at your carb the main jet tube has a hole drilled approx 8mm from the bottom. The fuel flows into the main jet through here. When the fuel is lower than the hole it stops running and still has fuel left inside the bowl

This useful and interesting insight has stayed with me since yesterday. As you say there must be fuel in the bowl. So as soon as I take my outboard off and lie it on its side (Or even turn it upside down lifting it over the rail) fuel is going to end up everywhere including back in the jets.

Clearly there will be less fuel, which is nice, and with the engine cooler so most will hopefully drip back into the bowl when the engine is stood back up. Even so, it seems running the carb dry isn't the panacea I thought it was. (Well, I kind of knew that, my fuel tap was stuck 'on' for three years and my carb was never run dry in those years. Gave no problems.)

lustyd

Visit site
I doubt much would get through the jets. As I said, if the fuel tap is closed then you have effectively made a seal, so if fuel starts to go up the jets it lowers the pressure in the bowl which will tend to suck the fuel inwards and prevent too much leaking. It's the same reason you can pick up liquids with a drinking straw by putting your finger over the end. If left long enough it might evaporate through the jet hole, but as you say three years without problems with an open tap would suggest it's fine.

steve66

N/A
Visit site
I doubt much would get through the jets. As I said, if the fuel tap is closed then you have effectively made a seal, so if fuel starts to go up the jets it lowers the pressure in the bowl which will tend to suck the fuel inwards and prevent too much leaking. It's the same reason you can pick up liquids with a drinking straw by putting your finger over the end. If left long enough it might evaporate through the jet hole, but as you say three years without problems with an open tap would suggest it's fine.
You may be confused a little with the workings of the carb. The jets have to be immersed in fuel to work. There cannot be a vacuum at all in the flost bowl. It has to be neutral to work. The venturi creates a vacuum and draws fuel up through the jets to mix with air to create a mixture.

As for laying it on its side there is a reservoir inside the carb when its laid down. When back in an upright position the fuel runs back into the bowl. Not all carbs have a reservoir...some just have a breather where fuel leaks if laid down

VicS

Visit site
There will be plenty left in the bowl if you turn off the fuel, it's vaccuum that stops it, not lack of fuel. What it will do in theory is suck any fuel back out of the jets into the bowl so it certainly is effective.
I meant that with the tap closed there will eventually be a vaccuum which sucks the fuel back down and prevents it from being sucked into the engine. You're right it's obviously open at the jet end for the fuel to be sucked through when the tap is open :D
The bowl is vented, you cannot create a vacuum in there.
If it was not vented it would not fill to the correct level in the first place because there would be no way for the air to escape.

Mark-1

Visit site
As for laying it on its side there is a reservoir inside the carb when its laid down. When back in an upright position the fuel runs back into the bowl. Not all carbs have a reservoir...some just have a breather where fuel leaks if laid down

Thanks, so the reservoir (or breather!) mostly stops fuel running down the jets when it's being manhandled?

Also.... You're famous in these parts for doing really good carb cleans remotely so I have a question on remote carb cleaning:

When I clean a carb the only way to test if my clean actually cleared the problem is to bolt it on and run it. (Sometimes another effort is required.) I'm wondering how you check your work when you've finished? Do you have an OB you can use as a test rig or is it just the case that you've done so many that you know your clean has worked without trying it? Or something else? If it's a trade secret please ignore me and sorry for prying!

steve66

N/A
Visit site
Thanks, so the reservoir (or breather!) mostly stops fuel running down the jets when it's being manhandled?

Also.... You're famous in these parts for doing really good carb cleans remotely so I have a question on remote carb cleaning:

When I clean a carb the only way to test if my clean actually cleared the problem is to bolt it on and run it. (Sometimes another effort is required.) I'm wondering how you check your work when you've finished? Do you have an OB you can use as a test rig or is it just the case that you've done so many that you know your clean has worked without trying it? Or something else? If it's a trade secret please ignore me and sorry for prying!
Hi yes i use an identical serviced engine as a test bed....no matter how experienced you are the only way to tell if its clean is to bolt it on. You can also set the carb up whilst its running

steve66

N/A
Visit site

Forģet the fuel running down jets bit....the jets have to have fuel down and around them to work. The reservoir is to minimise fuel leaking when carried or in transport

Rappey

Visit site
@steve 66 since you are here what are your thoughts on the current use of e5 fuel and it's effects, if any , and what about the soon to arrive e10 ?

steve66

N/A
Visit site
If you religiously drain your float bowl prior to storage of a few weeks or more you wont see any difference...leave fuel in the bowl and you will see problems occuring more quickly.
From experience you will do more damage running your engine on alkylite fuel than e10

Soundsailor

Visit site
Hello Steve 66
I have some questions about my Honda 2.3hp.
Can't seem to be able to message you on the furum.
Do you have a website or other contact?
Thanks

ghostlymoron

Visit site
I had exactly the same problem earlier this year, would run with choke but stop without it. Strip the carb, use good carb clean spray then I refitted with new seals £13 on ebay. Now runs perfect again.
I have heard of the running dry technique and have tried it a few times on my motors. Works ok on the little Honda but is a problem on my Seagull as it has no neutral position so, unless you judge it just right , you can run out of fuel before you hit land/boat. Fortunately the Seagull doesn't seem to gum up anyway.

Colin Brown

Visit site
I have a Honda 2.3 outboard which stopped running the other day. Having had the problem before I put it down to dirt in the carb'.

Having cleaned the jet I now find it starts but stalls when on tick-over and when the choke is closed. Is it likely I have not cleaned the fuel and carb' properly or could there be something else afoot?

Thanks
I have a Honda 2.3 outboard which stopped running the other day. Having had the problem before I put it down to dirt in the carb'.

Having cleaned the jet I now find it starts but stalls when on tick-over and when the choke is closed. Is it likely I have not cleaned the fuel and carb' properly or could there be something else afoot?

Thanks

Colin Brown

Visit site
Hi. just looking through these old posts there seems to be problems with the Honda 2.3 carb. I have just cleaned the main jet to read afterwards that there is also a pilot jet and an emulsion tube to clean as well. Does anyone know if there is a fuel filter fitted anywhere, either under the fuel tank or actually in the fuel line?
Just out of interest I have 2 honda 2.3's , one runs great on Aspen, the other dislikes it and coughs, all very odd.
Advice on any possible fitted filter please.

Steve65

Visit site
Hi. just looking through these old posts there seems to be problems with the Honda 2.3 carb. I have just cleaned the main jet to read afterwards that there is also a pilot jet and an emulsion tube to clean as well. Does anyone know if there is a fuel filter fitted anywhere, either under the fuel tank or actually in the fuel line?
Just out of interest I have 2 honda 2.3's , one runs great on Aspen, the other dislikes it and coughs, all very odd.
Advice on any possible fitted filter please.
Do not run these models on Aspen, it damages plug coatings causing plug to fail.....when I used to repair these it was a very very common failure on Aspen

Colin Brown

Visit site
Thank you for the advice. I thought that changing from E10 then to E5 petrol would help the running. Then recommend to try the expensive Aspen, as used in the light plant and tools by the local fire service.( Always ready for action) I use so little fuel throughout the season, just a few litres, I thought I was doing the smart thing. I will use the remained of the Aspen in the lawnmower!
Thank you.

Steve65

Visit site
There is no issue with e10 or e5 fuel. Follow manutacturers guidelines and drain your carb bowl after use You will never ever have an issue with your carb or fuel again