Honda 2.3 outboard

Independence

Visit site
I have a Honda 2.3 outboard which stopped running the other day. Having had the problem before I put it down to dirt in the carb'.

Having cleaned the jet I now find it starts but stalls when on tick-over and when the choke is closed. Is it likely I have not cleaned the fuel and carb' properly or could there be something else afoot?

Thanks

Seastoke

Visit site
I have a Honda 2.3 outboard which stopped running the other day. Having had the problem before I put it down to dirt in the carb'.

Having cleaned the jet I now find it starts but stalls when on tick-over and when the choke is closed. Is it likely I have not cleaned the fuel and carb' properly or could there be something else afoot?

Thanks
definly the carb , how old is the fuel , they are a shite engine all noise and no power.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
Interestingly, I never run the engine dry, I do a service yearly, BUT always add the Honda fuel additive to every fuel top up.
Never had a problem in the last 5 years - unlike other users I think it's an excellent engine, never had a problem with it.

VicS

Visit site

Thanks
You refer to "the jet" presumably you mean the main jet. there is also a pilot jet, #28. Perhaps that is the cause of your trouble #

( Presumably when you say it stalls when the choke is close you actually mean when it is opened again after starting)

1625083293727.png

Last edited:

Independence

Visit site
Thanks everyone,

I didn't realise there was a pilot jet.

Pretty sure fuel is ok as I've been using the engine for a few weeks with n o problems and topped up the fuel tank at least 3 times.

Painninja

Visit site
I too have had recourse to rely on the man who should not be named, and for an identical issue.

10/10

Happily do it again if ever necessary

ghostlymoron

Visit site
The jets are tiny to allow the engine to meet EU pollution regulations I believe. This makes them susceptible to blockage. The only remedy is to thoroughly clean the carburettor.
I had no problems with mine and didn't find it particularly noisy compared with my other outboards.

Chae_73

Visit site
I had this problem with mine recently; I think I used some very slightly dirty fuel. Clean fuel plus a decent run of the engine (30 mins motor out to have as look at the bar at LW) seems to have cured it for the time being, Interesting about running dry.

Sianna

Visit site
I had exactly the same problem earlier this year, would run with choke but stop without it. Strip the carb, use good carb clean spray then I refitted with new seals £13 on ebay. Now runs perfect again.

RobF

Visit site
Another thumbs up for the excellent gentleman based in Wolverhampton. I had dreadful problems with my Honda 2.3 as it seemed to require a carb strip and clean every 6 months. I've now resolved this issue by using Alkylate fuel. Not cheap, but worth every penny.

lustyd

Visit site
A nice reliable little engine that seems to benefit from being deliberately run dry before a shutdown of a few days or more. That way, there is nòthing left in the float chamber to gum up the carb. Works for me. ?
There will be plenty left in the bowl if you turn off the fuel, it's vaccuum that stops it, not lack of fuel. What it will do in theory is suck any fuel back out of the jets into the bowl so it certainly is effective.

VicS

Visit site
You need to give the carb a complete clean...apparently there is a guy in Wolverhampton will completely clean and reset the carb fir £15 plus postage...but he cannot advertise on here as he is a business and on his final warning
Another thumbs up for the excellent gentleman based in Wolverhampton. I had dreadful problems with my Honda 2.3 as it seemed to require a carb strip and clean every 6 months. I've now resolved this issue by using Alkylate fuel. Not cheap, but worth every penny.

Can't this "guy" in Wo' ton use his business name and a link to his web site as his signature like the "electrician" in Suffolk does ?
What's good for one should be good for another.

steve66

N/A
Visit site
There will be plenty left in the bowl if you turn off the fuel, it's vaccuum that stops it, not lack of fuel. What it will do in theory is suck any fuel back out of the jets into the bowl so it certainly is effective.
Not entirely correct....if there was vacuum inside the bowl it wouldnt work. The bowl has an overflow/breather. If you look at your carb the main jet tube has a hole drilled approx 8mm from the bottom. The fuel flows into the main jet through here. When the fuel is lower than the hole it stops running and still has fuel left inside the bowl

lustyd

Visit site
Not entirely correct....if there was vacuum inside the bowl it wouldnt work. The bowl has an overflow/breather. If you look at your carb the main jet tube has a hole drilled approx 8mm from the bottom. The fuel flows into the main jet through here. When the fuel is lower than the hole it stops running and still has fuel left inside the bowl
I meant that with the tap closed there will eventually be a vaccuum which sucks the fuel back down and prevents it from being sucked into the engine. You're right it's obviously open at the jet end for the fuel to be sucked through when the tap is open :D