Honda 2.3 Outboard carburettor bowl

robmcg

Visit site
As usual, my Honda 2.3 outboard carburettor bowl is starting to look a bit grotty with corrosion. New one about £55. As this engine is used in other applications eg lawn mowers, is there a cheaper source for the carburettor bowl than from Honda marine? Has anyone found a decent replacement?

jamie N

Visit site
Is the corrosion internal or external?
If it's internal, then I'd replace it with 'one that fits', as per your post. If it's external only, perhaps clean it up and paint it, otherwise WGAF?

Seastoke

Visit site
As usual, my Honda 2.3 outboard carburettor bowl is starting to look a bit grotty with corrosion. New one about £55. As this engine is used in other applications eg lawn mowers, is there a cheaper source for the carburettor bowl than from Honda marine? Has anyone found a decent replacement?
Yes Tohatsu, and the 2.3 fits nicely in a wheelie bin.

jamie N

Visit site
Perhaps a good clean and refit it. I'm assuming that the engine runs fine, so it could be OK to remain aware of it should anything start occurring with the motor?

robmcg

Visit site
Perhaps a good clean and refit it. I'm assuming that the engine runs fine, so it could be OK to remain aware of it should anything start occurring with the motor?
As of this afternoon, it runs like a good 'un. This morning the carb was full of crap because I had (foolishly) used E10 fuel in it 🙈. I will keep an eye on it but thought it might be prudent to have a spare to hand.

jamie N

Visit site
One frequent 'tip' on here, when these fabulous engine's are mentioned, is to always empty the carb at the end of the day, most usually by simply cracking the 10mm drain valve, and letting the little bit remaining out, after having turned the fuel off.
I know that you know this, but it's better to state it anyway.

NormanS

Visit site
One frequent 'tip' on here, when these fabulous engine's are mentioned, is to always empty the carb at the end of the day, most usually by simply cracking the 10mm drain valve, and letting the little bit remaining out, after having turned the fuel off.
I know that you know this, but it's better to state it anyway.
I just let it run until the carb is empty and it stops. But then, I've always done that with outboards.

jamie N

Visit site
I just let it run until the carb is empty and it stops. But then, I've always done that with outboards.
Yup, there's always a few cc's left at the bottom of the bowl which I drain at the bottom of the bowl. I've no idea if this makes any difference whatsoever, except for giving me a nice, warm & righteous feeling. 🤷‍♂️

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
Yup, there's always a few cc's left at the bottom of the bowl which I drain at the bottom of the bowl. I've no idea if this makes any difference whatsoever, except for giving me a nice, warm & righteous feeling. 🤷‍♂️
There is an orafice under the carb enabling a socket to drain the bowl. I do this whenever I can remember. I also experience the same righteous feeling.

Tillana

Visit site
I managed to get some spares for my Honda 2.3 from a plant hire company. The same bowl and fuel shut off parts are the same used on some small plant. Whacker plates etc. unfortunately, the carb body is different and twice the price of non marine version. Just look up part numbers and cross reference them.

Steve65

Visit site
Yes it does mske a huge difference,water from ethanol collects in the bottom of the bowl. If you drain using the actual drain you will drain the fuel and leave the water

jamie N

Visit site
Yes it does mske a huge difference,water from ethanol collects in the bottom of the bowl. If you drain using the actual drain you will drain the fuel and leave the water
Sorry Steve, but for personal clarity, your advice is to not use the drain, but just to run the engine dry from turning off the fuel tap? It matters to me to get it right, and you're the bloke that gets it right!

miked259

Visit site
Hi Mike, not sure I can message you as youre a new member
It seems not - do I need to be registered for a while before I can DM?

I did try to look at your profile to see if you had a website, but can’t seem to do that either!

Just looking for a replacement carb bowl and retaining screw at the moment.

Steve65

Visit site
Thats not a problem, pm me when youre able to.
My website is in hibernation at the moment, sorry to be vague but I have been reported twice for attempting to sell on the forums..ridoculous I know

miked259

Visit site
Thats not a problem, pm me when youre able to.
My website is in hibernation at the moment, sorry to be vague but I have been reported twice for attempting to sell on the forums..ridoculous I know
Thanks - I’m replying now in the hope that my new member restrictions are based on post count, and might be lifted soon!