Help - Want to learn to sail

kingkingy

Visit site
Myself and my wife spent a good week sailing in Greece a couple of years ago, we got competent crew certificates but didn't really feel we earn't them. (They seemed to be giving them out just for spending 7 days afloat!!)

We both want to learn to sail on a boat where its just us and the boats owners, so we get the most out of the time.

Ideally learning as part of a trip to the channel islands some other "Mission" destination in mind.

Does anyone have any suggestions on who would be best??

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks - Simon

<hr width=100% size=1>

seaesta

Visit site
Get taken on as crew on a racing yacht. Plenty of skippers need people who can be relied on to turn up, do their best and learn. You may have to split up for this going on different yachts and will start as mobile ballast. This is the finest way to learn. Alternatively you can pay through the nose for proper organised training or have a skippered charter.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Hi,

2 options. A friend of mine, Michael Cole is taking a boat from Southampton to the Scillies on 5th to 12th of September. Nice Guy, experienced and you can learn from him. He's sailing with friends and although you want personal treatment, sailing with a crew is an important aspect of sailing in general and you will pick up much from all of them. Contact me for his e-mail address.

If you seriously want professional treatment contact Bisham Abbey sailing school, Marlow, Bucks and explain what you want. They will organise everything you need on shore and aboard. Very nice folk.

Also, if you want to learn at weekends you're welcome to sail with me on Askival, 30', based in Fowey, Cornwall. Bon Chance.

<hr width=100% size=1>

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Don't know where you are, but Plymouth Sailing School are also very good. (and no I have no direct connection with them.) Be slightly careful about going racing as some skippers get the red mist when they are on the water and its not always good instruction. Also lots of things happen very quickly and if people are taking it seriously they haven't got the time to explain why you just done three quick tacks and are going to set the kite with a bear away set and we'll float it for the last 50 metres down to the next mark.... I say this as an enthusiastic racer - and always happy to have new crew when there's room. You have to ask yourself why there are always spaces available on some boats though.... If you get offers of positions on boats that are pottering down the coast its got to be the best bet, but its probably the character of the skipper/crew that's most important?

<hr width=100% size=1>

paulncc

Visit site
hi geoff
i see from your post you are willing to take on novices? i live in newquay and restoring a yacht at fowey. looking for some one to teach me in exchange are you intrested? contact me if you are. thanks

<hr width=100% size=1>

Spacewaist

blog.mailasail.com
Suggest; Phoenix Yacht Club

A members club wuth a Bav34 and a Starlight 39 owned abd maintained by the members. (www.phoenixyachtclub.co.uk) whose objective is to foste sailing.

They hold traning to YM level, show you how to maintain boats and the companion ship of like minded people.

Go for it.

<hr width=100% size=1>A pontification from the Panjandrum of orotund bloviation AD2003

G

Paul,

I've sent a private e-mail reply.

Geoff

<hr width=100% size=1>