HELP! newcomer to sailing

G

Ok, maybe i'm being to optimistic here but i've seen a 34ft larch on oak Caravel built sailing boat/yacht (!) It has a sound hull etc but needs lots of TLC. Its only £2000 which seems cheap BUT
A, could a reasonably competent DIY er cope with this task
B, would i be better spending a little more on a fibreglass boat which perhaps wouldnt be so tasking to look after?

As you can tell form this i'm very new to sailing but its something i've wanted to do since going sailing at school. I will do a coarse on basic sailing first but would apreciate any advice or info on what to look for , hints and tips etc

KrisHansen

Visit site
Well, I suspect you're looking at at least five times the purchase price to achieve anything near sailability, and you *must* have her surveyed so you have a rough idea of exactly what you will pay to get her going. And that, of course, is just the beginning. People always tell me not to underestimate the amount of costly maintenance required with GRP yachts - there will be much more with a wooden yacht. Having said that, if you have the time (and the space!), it could be a very rewarding process, and will bring you and your boat much closer.

On the DIY front, I'd be very careful, as it's a funny old game with boats - you'll need quite a few skills to start off with, and will need to learn many new ones in the process - and I think there are some things that you cannot do yourself unless you are a reasonably experienced boatbuilder...

I think your best bet is to befriend a local boatbuilder or restorer near where she is lying (obviously, not the one who's selling her, unless he is a particularly honest-seeming chap!) and ask them to take a look at her as a preliminary (not a replacement!) viewing before a survey. They'll know if she's worth saving or not.

Oh, and if you do go to have a look, make sure you start calling her a 'she' whilst in her company - I find restoration projects are always more receptive if treated with the proper respect!!

Good luck...

- Kris Hansen

KrisHansen

Visit site
Oh, I forgot something....

With most classic boats, I'd recommend something more intensive than a basic sailing course. A 34' yacht, I imagine, would probably require two-handed sailing, and will not be fitted with many labour-saving devices.

You will, of course, also need navigation, safety, first aid training, engine experience, a VHF license.... the list goes on... think about taking Day Skipper at the very least, and if your sailing knowledge is rusty, Competent Crew before that. Each will cost you about £350 over four or five days. Details on the RYA website.

- Kris Hansen

G

Re: Oh, I forgot something....

Thanks for all the excellent advice. I wouldn't dream of buying any yacht without first having a survey though, however cheap!

Anyway, i've read your reply and i'm still keen!!! lol. No, thats exactly what i need, down to earth straight advice.
Mind you i think i'm going to be stubborn on this one and still go for wooden over GRP!

KrisHansen

Visit site
Re: Oh, I forgot something....

Absolutely, go for it - I'd never want anyone to tell me I'd pursuaded them to go for GRP over wood. It's just important to know how deep your getting when you go for a wooden boat - if you're prepared to do it, I salute you!

- Kris Hansen