heeling

madman

N/A
Visit site
I've notice when I put the sails up on our Bav 34, that it starts to heel a bit. This is upsetting as the carpet starts sling out of place, the pictures on the walls fall off and last but not least our drinks spill. Is there some sort of counter balace you can get, like maybe a secomnd boom with a weight at the end of it that you can deploy to keep the boat flat?

<hr width=100% size=1>

zefender

Visit site
You could do that, but then, technically, you'd be back heeling which is a form of floating, but not sailing..:)

Wot's this about carpets on a Bav?

<hr width=100% size=1>

MADFISH

Visit site
No problem. Buy another Bav 34 and two RSJ's. Lash the lot together (best put some fenders out) and that ought to do it. Problem is you may get some backwinding off the windward boats sails..........

<hr width=100% size=1>

bigmart

Visit site
The best way to prevent heeling is to aquire yourself another hull. If you use your best Boy Scout Knots & some strong wooden spars you could tie them together. The width of the new structure would prevent it from heeling. This would also have the advantage that you wouldn't need all that nasty heavy balast down in the keel so find yourself a nice beach somewhere to dry out, whip out your Swiss Army Knife & cut off the keels. The effect of this would be to lighten th whole structure so it would go faster too. Hey what do you know I'm a boat designer. What do you thing we shoulf call this new design? Can we patent it?

Martin

<hr width=100% size=1>

Aeolus_IV

Visit site
Surely better to reduce the risks of un-necessary backwinding or heeling that you take down white flapping things, and all metal work holding them up. This should leave a nice stable platform in which to enjoy your carpets and drinks.

Jeff.

/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>

MADFISH

Visit site
Sorry Martin. I got in first! However, how about Madman try some netting sails?

Alternatively I could lend him one of my Mercruiser 340hp V8s to stick on the high side. May be able to convert the engine to prehaps run an air conditioning unit to keep his palacial stateroom cool.

<hr width=100% size=1>

zefender

Visit site
Re: No...

That's "leaning". Heeling is best avoided as a word in such distinguished company since shoe shops inevitably get added to the itinerary..

<hr width=100% size=1>

madman

N/A
Visit site
Some interesting suggestions there, do the netting sails work well? I saw a few at the boat show so I suppose they must be a new high tech development perhaps speeding up airflow by offering less resistance, a bit like the highspeed surfboards with holes in them. Also wondered if I could put a hinge and a stick on the keel so I could wiggle it about a bit to keep the boat a bit flatter, did'nt Pete Goss do that and he named his boat after brandy so I suppose it works.

<hr width=100% size=1>

MADFISH

Visit site
Best use a high streigth spectra thread woven into 2' squares. North 0DH?

That about taking the pontoon with you when you leave the marina? As an added bonus you will still have shorepower and water to hand.

<hr width=100% size=1>

bigmart

Visit site
He'd have to fit the Mercruiser on slides so he could move it around when he tacks. I bet even Madman can't sail on the same tack all the time. Can he?

Martin

<hr width=100% size=1>

nicho

Visit site
Take no notice of the so called advice on this thread, those nasty people are trying to make you incur a lot of hard work and advice - twin hulls indeed, it'll never take on.

I know someone in a similar situation, but he overcame the problem by having a loose fitting carpet which he removes to the aft cabin whilst sailing, The picture was simply screwed to the bulkhead - easy. He's still trying to solve the problems of drink spillage though....he's got a Bav too.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Violetta

Visit site
Ken! Think...!

The more you comfort them the more they will squeal. You don't want to encourage them, now do you? ;-)

Take my advice and tell any squealing ladies (traitors to their sex) to brace up, pull themselves together and pull THIS rope here (no, not THAT one!) as hard as they can. That's how we deal with squealing on my watch.

A dear, non-sailing friend (male) came out with us recently. He was a bit nervous and didn't mind admitting it. He said "I'll watch you and if you look scared, I'll be scared". Huh! I didn't cut my teeth on rich, bored French teenagers with one ambition - to capsize and dunk their instructor - for nothing. Inscrutibility incarnate, that's me. And I expect no less of my sisters, whoever they may be.

COMFORTING!! Bah!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Ohdrat

Visit site
Bavaria Yachts are now producing a special trapieze for their boats.. it comes fully functional with a inflatable wieghted dolly to go in the traieze! ;)

<hr width=100% size=1>

TheBoatman

Visit site
Sorry to pour cold water on this netting idea,, I've already tried it. Up until 2 years ago my sails let more air through than went around, but the boat still heeled. OK it didn't heel as much but then it didn't move forward very well either.
Having got the new sails the heeling came back just as bad as before and everything started to fall off/out etc, but I did find some new fangled invention called Velcro. So I stuck it all over the place so nothing moved, the only downside I have found to using this stuff is that if the crew want to use the heads whilst we're heeling a lot is you can find them stuck to the baulkhead normally in a crucified position. It normally only takes 2 of us to get them off the wall.

<hr width=100% size=1>

oldharry

Visit site
Oh deary me. There are several incredibly simple solutions to this heeling nonsense.

1. Dont put the sails up. Thats what causes it. OK it takes a bit longer to reach the next marina, but whats the engine for?

2. Stay put in the marina. Lots of owners do this for most of the sailing season, and it means you dont have to wait to get ashore before you toddle up to the bar for drinkies. You can get all the information you need for yachting yarns at the bar, from books by people like Eric Hiscox who seems to have grown up with one leg shorter than the other so find it more comfortable being heeled over.

3. Penultimate solution: do away with the mast and sails altogether and buy a stinkie. Only one problem with that: they do still rock a bit if removed from their native habitat (the marina berth).

So if thats still a problem

4. Buy one of those huge American 'Motorhomes' All the comforts of your Bav , with the congenial company of the crowd of fellow drivers you will find parked on the M25 most evenings.....

<hr width=100% size=1>