Heads - Wastepipe

LinTeal

Visit site
I am fitting a new heads and spent two hours this morning endeavouring to fit the new wastepipe to the blakes outlet seacock.The best I could manage was to get it on about an inch but no more.I tried lubrication,trying to make the pipe more pliable and brute force.Any tips/ideas.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Robin

Visit site
Heat helps, hairdryer or carefully used hot air gun. Sticking hoses in hot water usually works but the heavy reinforced loo hoses are very stiff and if the hose is wet (as it would be) your hands slip on the outside while you try to push it on. I collected a massive blister last time I did that job from my hand slipping on the pipe, whilst my arm was bent 3 different ways and standing on my head, the man at Westerly who fitted it all in a locker (rather built said locker round the fittings) would not have liked what I called him. Best of luck!

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
as you found, extremely difficult as blakes make the spigots oversize. heaven knows why, it seems as if they can't be bothered to machine them.

i had some success with forcing the pipe over a tapered wooden plug (as kept handy for bunging up broken seacocks) with the aid of a heat gun. this flares the end enough to get it on. boiling water isn't enough.

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailorman

Visit site
make a long ( say approx 250 m/m or 10 ins in PBO speak) tapered wooden bung the mid-lenght =dia. of the pipe.
place pipe in boiling i mean boiling water & wait untill it softens, using a cloth take the pipe & bung & push / twist together, wait untill cool, repeat if nessessary then push onto seacock & double clip.
it does work every time

<hr width=100% size=1>

kds

www.canongrange.co.uk
I used a hot air gun - slowly for a long time or you can over do it, but only after some hard work with emery cloth on the bronze fitting - and squeezy. Still got the bruises !

<hr width=100% size=1>

jon

Visit site
Try Vetus rubber waste hose, it is much more flexible ideal fot those tight bends, and with a little dishwasher liquid is a joy (well almost) to use. Down side is its more expensive.

<hr width=100% size=1>

HeadMistress

Visit site
Another downside to "soft" waste hose: it's also more susceptible to odor permeation.

The stiffer a hose is, the closer together the molecules are...and the tighter they are, the less the hose is able to absorb water (waste). Conversely, the softer it is, the further apart they are...making the hose more water/waste absorbent, and therefor more susceptible to odor permeation.

I suppose it's out of the question to replace the over-sized Blake hose fitting with one that's easier to get a hose onto?

<hr width=100% size=1>Peggie Hall
Specializing in marine sanitation since 1987

ianwright

Home: Peterborough, Mooring, Heybridge Basin
Visit site
Hoses, even of the right size are not easy to fit, they need to be tight don't they? But changing from a Blakes fitting (the best imho) seems a little OT. Find a dealer that has the right non metric size might help, and take a clean bit of the old hose with you.
None of the above is to be taken in any way as disagreeing with Peggie,,,,,,, i've seen what happens to those who do,,,,,,,,
;)

IanW

<hr width=100% size=1>Vertue 203, Patience

stephenh

Visit site
yes - preform the pipe in any way previously mentioned and reheat the pipe before fitting

and also - heat the spigot of the fitting with hot air gun / hair dryer ( not blow torch !!)
Cold metal cools the hot flexible pipe down too quickly.

Stephen

<hr width=100% size=1>