Hayling Yacht Company departure

bumblefish

Visit site
Hi, my Elizabethan 30 is ashore at Hayling Yacht Company, I hope to launch tomorrow. High tide is at 14.50 and 4.4m, there is a charted drying height of 3.5m along the route, however I draw 1.5m, the yard assured me that it will be fine as long as I stick close to the withies and mooring buoys. Does anyone have any advice or help with the route back out to the open water?

sarabande

Visit site
Ask them to accompany you in their work boat for the short run to the main channel.

The synoptic chart for tomorrow shows the edge of a High over S England so levels might be down a bit on the forecast.

Kurphy

Visit site
When you say open water I’m guessing you mean the sea? I’ve never been to Hayling but recently crossed the dreaded Chichester bar. First two times we did it we were super cautious and timed it as if we were in a much bigger boat. Apart from being thrilled we did it there wasn’t much to write home about. But on the last bar crossing we crossed the bar at night an hour after high tide with a southerly blowing and the crew wanted to go home after that. Calmed down once we passed the West pole.

SiteSurfer

Visit site
Whenever we sailed out of there it was generally fine, the first sharp left past the (what used to be bent) marker is the critical one and then simply followed the mooring buoys out, the entrance to Mill Rythe shallows to the North we found so always headed straight for the Port Can marker and out into the main body.

There always used to be a bit of roulette with the boats swinging on the moorings I recall which led to a somewhat zig-zag course at times :)

rotrax

Visit site
If you follow the channel as advised above you might touch bottom but the mud is SO soft you will just push it aside.

We have got out with zero showing on the depth gauge and a cloud of mud following.

It will be fine....................

bedouin

Visit site
It is worth having a quick check of Google Maps as that should make the channel pretty clear and give you confidence. Also you can walk to the end of the pontoon at low water and see the first turn that is probably the most important.

Ferring

Visit site
If you can get there before you leave and have a look at the channel from the shore which is obvious at low tide. I found that a great help as the first bit is the trickiest.

Aeolus

Visit site
I'd try to leave approx 30 mins before High Tide and go very slowly, that way you would minimise the risk of getting stuck on a falling tide. I also agree about trying to be there at low tide so you can see exactly where the channel is. I haven't been to HYC but I have gone into and out of Thornham marina which is similar in terms of depths and narrow channels.

Ammonite

Visit site
Hi, my Elizabethan 30 is ashore at Hayling Yacht Company, I hope to launch tomorrow. High tide is at 14.50 and 4.4m, there is a charted drying height of 3.5m along the route, however I draw 1.5m, the yard assured me that it will be fine as long as I stick close to the withies and mooring buoys. Does anyone have any advice or help with the route back out to the
Leave within an hour of HW and you'll be be fine with a 4.4m. Head from the slipway in a direct line to the end of C17 (see pontoon selector on the website) staying a boat length from the end. The channel is narrow so try and turn round within a boat lenght or so when they drop you in. Once you past C17 turn to starboard (staying within a boat length of the end boats) and head directly for the channel markers that show where the channel turns to port. After that just follow the mooring buoys to the main channel. You should have at least 0.3- 0.5m under the keel while in the marina (more at HW) and if you do stray out of the channel its soft mud. Just go slow so you can get off again. Once you reach the mooring buoys you'll have over 3m of wster

Last edited:

STATUE

Visit site
Hi, my Elizabethan 30 is ashore at Hayling Yacht Company, I hope to launch tomorrow. High tide is at 14.50 and 4.4m, there is a charted drying height of 3.5m along the route, however I draw 1.5m, the yard assured me that it will be fine as long as I stick close to the withies and mooring buoys. Does anyone have any advice or help with the route back out to the open water?
That's indeed the best guidance, get their work boat to pilot you out to the main Chichester channel.

This from experience of leaving there and then, fortunately on a rising tide rowing out warps to mid- channel barges and then winching ourselves off the putty.

[2068]

Visit site
When you say open water I’m guessing you mean the sea? I’ve never been to Hayling but recently crossed the dreaded Chichester bar. First two times we did it we were super cautious and timed it as if we were in a much bigger boat. Apart from being thrilled we did it there wasn’t much to write home about. But on the last bar crossing we crossed the bar at night an hour after high tide with a southerly blowing and the crew wanted to go home after that. Calmed down once we passed the West pole.

I have to deal with that bar every time I go out or return.

Observations are that F5 Southerly or more and a falling tide can be fun to surf down inbound if you have plenty of power, or really quite unpleasant if going outbound and less power.

If there is lots of water, then diverting East for a bit towards the wreck can help if you keep an eye on the depth sounder.

Flynnbarr

Visit site
I’ve ploughed a channel with a 1.2m draft and the mud is soft as others have said.
Also agree with taking a look at low tide.....there is a path you can follow that takes you right round to where the moored boats on buoys stay afloat.

Topcat47

Visit site
I've only done it once: it is vital to keep to the channel. I touched almost as soon as I left it, although I draw 1.8 in Snark. Don't be tempted to cut the corners as the mud extends quite a way into the Emsworth Channel. If you are planning to leave Chi Harbour and you're not a regular, aim to be at the bar just after HW and have your engine running and sails up, it's no place to be caught without power either from the wind or at least the engine. If you time it right, it'll be quite comfortable before there's a Wind over tide effect as the current wind conditions are SW 15 knots. Take care!