Have I understoo this right! :- Heaters

mpopeye

Visit site
I will have to pay road duty on the fuel for my boat though it will never go on the road, but like a house I can fit a second tank and use non-road duty fuel at 5% VAT to run my heater!

Now this will make things even more confusing /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

TrueBlue

Visit site
Right On,

In general terms you are right, except that nobody knows which way the thing will go.

IMHO, in practice you will just not be able to lay your hands on heating oil, unless you house is heated with MGO - few peeps have oil heating, and even less of them have MGO, so that's not an option.

The amount of fuel that you use in a diesel heater is very small in comparison with what you use to push the vessel through the water, and anyway manipulating reasonable quantities of that sort of fuel in cans is unpleasant and messy as well as breaking all sorts of regulations. So no point.

Apart from the pure duty / tax issue, what sticks in my craw is that your supplier is supposed to monitor your usage of the stuff. If you have a domestic installation for heating the delivery driver is supposed to monitor your tank to see if it is fitted with a draw off hose, the oil distributor monitors your usage and reports to C&E if your usage fluctuates wildly.

When buying at the marina you are supposed to give your name, rank, number and inside leg. The marina is supposed to watch you so that don't / can't transfer any to you car. If the seller doesn't toe the line then C&E can put him out of business by withdrawing his "license".

Smacks of Thought Police doesn't it. A field day for paranoiacs.....

Not British,
Not fair,
Not Boaty.

gandy

Aberdeenshire (quite far from the Solent)
Visit site
Re: Right On,

"Apart from the pure duty / tax issue, what sticks in my craw is that your supplier is supposed to monitor your usage of the stuff. If you have a domestic installation for heating the delivery driver is supposed to monitor your tank to see if it is fitted with a draw off hose, the oil distributor monitors your usage and reports to C&E if your usage fluctuates wildly."

I don't think anyone monitors our heating oil. We don't necessarily buy from the same supplier each time, or at regular intervals. This is 28sec kerosene, normal UK heating oil. Not the same as Diesel.

Tony S
Thought I'd posted this earlier, but it's disappeared.

TrueBlue

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
"Apart from the pure duty / tax issue, what sticks in my craw is that your supplier is supposed to monitor your usage of the stuff. If you have a domestic installation for heating the delivery driver is supposed to monitor your tank to see if it is fitted with a draw off hose, the oil distributor monitors your usage and reports to C&E if your usage fluctuates wildly."

I don't think anyone monitors our heating oil. We don't necessarily buy from the same supplier each time, or at regular intervals. This is 28sec kerosene, normal UK heating oil. Not the same as Diesel.

Tony S
Thought I'd posted this earlier, but it's disappeared.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shows you how careful one has to be when wording a post; I was talking about "Gas Oil". C&E are not interested in kerosene 'cos it has no other reasonable use; looking at what I get supplied nowadays, I wonder if it's any good for heating....

BUT if you have MGO then there are all sorts of checks and balances going on in the background which nobody knows about. I object to the sneakiness and putting all the onus on the retailer.

Parsonsheath

Visit site

Bless you, but no!!

Greece was the birthplace of democracy, though not on the model you might expect.

This country is the home of spin , and ,at the present rate, could be the charnel house of democracy!

Joe_Cole

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
Bless you, but no!!

Greece was the birthplace of democracy, though not on the model you might expect.

This country is the home of spin , and ,at the present rate, could be the charnel house of democracy!

[/ QUOTE ]

But we do have "the mother of Parliaments"

bigskipper

Visit site
Have you ever seen the sticker on some cars which says "don't steal the Government hates competition" .Think about it .its true !
HM like the spin thats it moral and upright to pay MORE TAX and I see there are plenty of people on this formun that think that way but there is nothing illegal in ordering your affairs to pay the least amount of tax and if HM think that raising more money from boat owners is a soft touch they will hype the tax even more than road duty if they can get away with it .SHOUT loudly at the nearest politician whoever that happens to be and with an election coming shortly you will definitely be listened to. So hurry up and shout !

gandy

Aberdeenshire (quite far from the Solent)
Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
IMHO, in practice you will just not be able to lay your hands on heating oil, unless you house is heated with MGO - few peeps have oil heating, and even less of them have MGO, so that's not an option.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's MGO? Clearly not normal heating oil. Is this 35sec kerosene, which could pass for diesel? If so, I can see why C&E want to keep an eye on it.

Tony S

TrueBlue

Visit site

Poter,

I'm not denying your right to heat your house with Oilas I do and I'm not out in the wilds.... You probably use Kerosine - and that's of no interest to C&E

AeSmith,
MGO is Marked Gas Oil= Diesel which is the same (ish) as whatever you put in your boat and possibly your car if you're naughty. So C&E is interested in monitoring your domestic heating oil consumption (if it's Gas Oil)

Both - Domestic heating oil comes in two varieties:-

28Sec = Kerosine This variety is used by the majority of peeps who need to heat their houses with "oil". My suppliedr calls it "Premium Burning Oil"; the only thing premium about it is it's current price...

35Sec = MGO = GO = Diesel. This is only for peeps with a very large house to heat, for all sorts of reasons.

Both are known as "heating oil" - hence the general confusion.

The xxSec is a measure of its viscosity, ie. how long it takes a sample to pass through a standard measuring funnel.

OK?

r898713

Visit site

OK - so the red stuff I put in my boat to power the engine and the diesel fired boiler (and costs me £0.40 per litre) is basically the same as the stuff house owners use to fire their boilers (and costs them £0.17 per litre - or so I am led to believe)?

Phil van Bergen

TrueBlue

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
OK - so the red stuff I put in my boat to power the engine and the diesel fired boiler (and costs me £0.40 per litre) is basically the same as the stuff house owners use to fire their boilers (and costs them £0.17 per litre - or so I am led to believe)?

Phil van Bergen

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, got it in one - in principle, but the 17p. price was way back last summer before the current panic and was for the Kerosene variety (28Sec:) Gas Oil is always a tad dearer. I did a check at about that time and my distributor wanted to charge me 28p/l if I collected it loose; at the same time my normal sources on the Thames were between 23 and 28p/l.

It's all about who you are, where you are and what you're doing with it.