Has your East Coast river become a lawless free for all this year?

xyachtdave

Visit site
People out wake boarding yesterday on the river . They didn't bother me but went past quite few anglers who must have been unimpressed.
There is recognised water ski zone which they went through to get to the stretch they were using - but you have to belong to the ski club for that . I imagine they were thrown off the official ski club area .

Your post illustrates the issue perfectly. Nobody is bothered by different activities on the river, it certainly isn’t a case of ‘snooty sailor hates everything with an engine’.

There’s plenty of places locally you can enjoy your speedboat, wake board and jet ski and fair play to you have fun. I won’t tack about in your waterski area, don’t power your boat up 6 feet from my mooring and we’ll get on fine.

The signage at the Conmidores Hard at the Strand is obvious about what you can apply some power.

Unfortunately many of these users feel the need for an audience and I suspect stimulate their peanut sized brains a little irritating people with a dazzling display of skill.

As mentioned earlier a death is inevitable, either by collision or equipment failure when the beers have kicked in.

It is the Medway, magically transformed to SE London on Sea over the last few years, maybe I’m expecting too much.

Currently researching mooring options in the Orwell, my post was really to check if it’s the same everywhere as you can’t change or debate with the stupid!

RivalRedwing

Visit site
Your post illustrates the issue perfectly. Nobody is bothered by different activities on the river, it certainly isn’t a case of ‘snooty sailor hates everything with an engine’.

There’s plenty of places locally you can enjoy your speedboat, wake board and jet ski and fair play to you have fun. I won’t tack about in your waterski area, don’t power your boat up 6 feet from my mooring and we’ll get on fine.

The signage at the Conmidores Hard at the Strand is obvious about what you can apply some power.

Unfortunately many of these users feel the need for an audience and I suspect stimulate their peanut sized brains a little irritating people with a dazzling display of skill.

As mentioned earlier a death is inevitable, either by collision or equipment failure when the beers have kicked in.

It is the Medway, magically transformed to SE London on Sea over the last few years, maybe I’m expecting too much.

Currently researching mooring options in the Orwell, my post was really to check if it’s the same everywhere as you can’t change or debate with the stupid!
It is less problematic on the Orwell

Leighb

Visit site
It is less problematic on the Orwell
Agreed, there should not be any PWCs AFAIK, but RIBs and sports boats going too fast do happen. I did see a couple of PWCs the other day, but they were driving quite slowly and the riders were wearing black and yellow gear and I did wonder if they were officials of some sort.

UncleAlbert

Visit site
A pleasure to see a Pol;ice launch on the Blackwater today, and guess what all the Romford Navy Mob were behaving themselves from Heybridge to Osea until they (Police) were about a mile away then it was back to 'normal'. in many instances. It seems an impossible task unless a Police launch is on station for the tide . Perhaps they need an unmarked launch (s) .

Unc

Tomahawk

Visit site
There were a couple of jet skis out and about on e Pyefleet the other day, but they were being well behaved and not carving people up or making a nuisance of themselves to other people..

Sits down and takes a breather to recover from shock.

MikeBz

Visit site
Plenty of jetskis roaring about at speed in Brightlingsea Creek/River Colne late yesterday pm, a much more frequent occurrence since lockdown eased compared to previous years. The harbour used to police it to some extent, maybe they don't have the staff at the moment or it's an adverse reaction by them to the reception their suggested jetski storage pontoon received...

alandalus11

Visit site
I don't think it's just limited to Rivers... I think the whole of Britain has become a lawless free for all this year!!
This appears to be the the next wave of the C19 virus, zombie like symptoms where the virus has attacked the brain. Those infected have no control over their actions and no respect for other humans with lawlessness everywhere. We are all doomed.

Frayed Knot

Visit site
Probably on the look out for people who may have slept aboard last night . :D
Don’t laugh. Seen on the Deben this afternoon - it’s actually Metropolitan Police. Yesterday evening an unmarked black launch cruised slowly amongst the boats anchored at the Rocks. Driver appeared to be in uniform & was holding a large tablet device - possibly taking photos...
Snatched phone pic so apologies for the poor quality - about 3pm
AFDBC30E-13C1-48DA-9F3E-0E99829FDAE6.jpeg

Aquaboy

Visit site
There is a inboard Diesel border force rib around at the moment, it is marked but difficult to make out. Seen it on the Orwell a couple
of times. I'm told Volunteer are starting their patrols next weekend.

vitamika

Visit site
Sadly that was the conversation we had today. Peel Ports aren't interested and we thought a serious incident, which looks inevitable, would be required to get some action to the problem.
I'm not sure what the solution is, you certainly can't have a chat and educate these people....'Excuse me mate, don't know if you know but there's a 6 knot speed limit through the moored boats and there are some children over there in Oppies learning to sail but you can go as fast you like over there...'

Tomahawk

Visit site
The solution is certainly not to go around taking photographs of people anchoring overnight as Frayed Knott appears to indicate was happening with a probable view to prosecuting.... because it is easy.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
I don't think that many are actually aware of the problems.

Tough as always on the responsible users. Probably unsolvable until something really unpleasant happens.