Green Flash, is it real?

temptress

gbr195t.com
So I have sailed in the tropics for many years and folks talk of a thing called the Green Flash. Apparently seen as the sun sets.

I have never seen this and have decided it is not a real event.

Anyone here ever actually seen this happen? If so what causes it?I

Kelpie

Visit site
Someone suggested it was caused by the sun shining through the crest of a wave at the moment that it sets. Seems plausible...

oldharry

Visit site
Saw it a couple of years ago in the Canaries after a lifetime hoping to... it really is 'blink and you miss it'. Curiously it didnt show up on the video I was taking at the time. Makes me wonder whether it is real or some trick the eyes play, as its the same brilliant emerald green that you see going into a dark place after being seriously dazzled by snow.

earlybird

Visit site
It's real enough. I lived for 25 years in a house overlooking the Irish Sea. For much of the year from there the sun set below the sea horizon, and I looked for, and saw the green flash a number of times The necessary condition is a very clear atmosphere right down to the horizon. It's momentary, a casual look won't see it.
As above, I theorised that it was the extreme upper limb of the sun shining through the very top surface of the water.

ex-Gladys

Visit site
As above, I theorised that it was the extreme upper limb of the sun shining through the very top surface of the water.

A simple consideration of the physics would discount that... The angle of incidence of the sun's rays on the (curved) surface of the sea would give a reflection rather than penetration and refraction (i.e. light would bounce off when nearly parallel rather than penetrating)... The explanation given earlier is the real one

Spyro

Visit site
Never mind seeing one I'd never heard of it. Very interesting link though. Every day is a school day. I thought it was just a pair of trainers

earlybird

Visit site
A simple consideration of the physics would discount that... The angle of incidence of the sun's rays on the (curved) surface of the sea would give a reflection rather than penetration and refraction (i.e. light would bounce off when nearly parallel rather than penetrating)... The explanation given earlier is the real one
Not sure that I buy that. Total reflection, if I remember from my schooldays, only occurs when going from a denser to less dense medium. Some sunlight will penetrate. Anyway, the surface of the sea is wrinkly, giving various angles of incidence.
(I assume that the "earlier explanation" is the visual artefact ).
Edit; just looked it up in Wiki. It's refraction, they say!

Last edited:

RupertW

Visit site
I've seen it at dawn too and once on the North Sea when crossing back from The Netherlands.
The only time I've seen it was dawn - easier to see then I think because your eyes are adjusted to darkness so the green flash is bright before being overwhelmed by the brilliance of the first actual bit of the Sun appearing.