GOOGLE EARTH AND OPENCPN warning re GE updates

Robin

Visit site
I just spent several hours trying to discover why my OpenCPN program would no longer run with the google Earth plug- in today and at the same time why my desktop icon and taskbar pinned icon had vanished. I thought it was an auto update from Microsoft but for once it was the other arch villain , Google, trying to rule the world. Apparently Google Earth automatically updates itself and the Version 7.1.5 that I had been landed with on the last update will not link to the excellent free navigational program, OpenCPN. I Called on the experts on the OpenCPN forum for help and followed their instructions to uninstall my current version Google Earth then download an earlier version 7.0.2 which I did and it now works again. I also then had to go to' run'> Msconfig and uncheck all boxes google to stop Google from updating again, plus create new icons for my desktop and taskbar that the Original update had removed.

I can get very sick of these guys ( I won't test the swear filter) taking over my stuff and making it so it doesn't work, without so much as a by your leave...

Interested parties will findthe exchange of posts in the OpenCNNhrelp/FAQs section of Cruisers Forum here http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f134/help-faq-30943.html

I'm using win8.1 on my home lappie and Vista on my boat one, apparently both are affected so now i have to bring the boat lappie home to a faster internet connection to mess with that.

Last edited:

pvb

Visit site
I can get very sick of these guys ( I won't test the swear filter) taking over my stuff and making it so it doesn't work, without so much as a by your leave...

But Google aren't doing that, they're just automatically updating the software, in the same way that Windows updates automatically. The fact that OpenCPN won't work with the latest version is OpenCPN's problem, not Google's.

Strolls

Visit site
… it was the other arch villain , Google, trying to rule the world. Apparently Google Earth automatically updates itself and the Version 7.1.5 that I had been landed with on the last update will not link to the excellent free navigational program, OpenCPN. … I also then had to go to' run'> Msconfig and uncheck all boxes google to stop Google from updating again,

On my Mac this week I was asked if I wanted a Google Earth update.

I don't know what the default is, but on a Mac I'm sure automatic updating is optional.

Robin

Visit site
But Google aren't doing that, they're just automatically updating the software, in the same way that Windows updates automatically. The fact that OpenCPN won't work with the latest version is OpenCPN's problem, not Google's.

As I understand it It is not just OpenCPN that is affected either and there are lots of threads on the google forums about others and explaining how to prevent the automatic updating screwing stuff up.

I didn't ask for an update nor did I ever knowingly consent to auto updates of all things Google which apparently they think is OK. GMAIL on my android phone is another, I have a Gmail email account but 'GMAIL' Is adifferent animal and keeps searching through my email address book and inviting anyone I have ever dealt with by email to be in some kind of online group hug-in with me like they (google) aretrying to be another Facebook. I just want my stuff to work like it already is and to stay so doing

I expect the openCPN experts will sort it out like the good guys they are.

Robin

Visit site
On my Mac this week I was asked if I wanted a Google Earth update.

I don't know what the default is, but on a Mac I'm sure automatic updating is optional.

It is possible to disable auto updating of MS stuff on a windows PC too but Google did not ask. I"m not up in 'Apps', but maybe Google gets, or thinks it does, permission to update any 'Apps' it has produced that are pre-loaded by MS in Win 8 and 8.1 There are way too many small prints within small printswith google to check how what or why but I've turned off as much google Invasive stuff that I can whenever and wherever I can. I was taken totally by surprise with losing the excellent GE extension on OpenCPN and probably the very clever OpenCPN programmers will soon sort it. In the meantime I just thought I would be helpful and warn others that a very useful feature could be lost. and to provide the workaround that got mine working again.

GHA

Visit site

"Your" stuff? Then ask for your money back.

From the T's & C's which you agreed to when installing.
The Google Earth software may communicate with Google servers from time to time to check for available updates to the software, such as bug fixes, patches, enhanced functions, missing plug-ins and new versions (collectively, "Updates"). By installing the Google Earth software, you agree to automatically request and receive Updates.

GE2KAP is a much better way to go anyway.

http://www.shoreline.fr/PHiggins/GE2KAP/English/install.html
http://yachtvalhalla.net/navigation/correctcharts/correctcharts.htm

Tony Cross

Visit site
I just spent several hours trying to discover why my OpenCPN program would no longer run with the google Earth plug- in today and at the same time why my desktop icon and taskbar pinned icon had vanished. I thought it was an auto update from Microsoft but for once it was the other arch villain , Google, trying to rule the world. Apparently Google Earth automatically updates itself and the Version 7.1.5 that I had been landed with on the last update will not link to the excellent free navigational program, OpenCPN. I Called on the experts on the OpenCPN forum for help and followed their instructions to uninstall my current version Google Earth then download an earlier version 7.0.2 which I did and it now works again. I also then had to go to' run'> Msconfig and uncheck all boxes google to stop Google from updating again, plus create new icons for my desktop and taskbar that the Original update had removed.

Interested parties will findthe exchange of posts in the OpenCNNhrelp/FAQs section of Cruisers Forum here http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f134/help-faq-30943.html

I'm using win8.1 on my home lappie and Vista on my boat one, apparently both are affected so now i have to bring the boat lappie home to a faster internet connection to mess with that.

Slightly off topic but if you decide to uninstall any Google product be sure to re-enable those boxes in Msconfig before you do. Uninstalling programs that have components disabled from starting via Msconfig is known to cause problems (because the program can't uninstall completely).

Robin

Visit site
Brilliant :D

Yes MY stuff I bought a laptop loaded with Win 8,and a whole bunch of stuff. I had no choice, that was what I bought and paid for nobody said it is 'on loan'.
There is a lot of stuff on line from others asking how to stop Google updates so I am not alone in being peed off.

Anyway after several hours I finally found and deleted googleupdate.exe plus told my firewall not to allow google update access. I cannot remember the detail but at some point I noticed that one change I had made had already been 'unchanged' back by Google update so it was not going to lie down gracefully. I also remember the wails when I uninstalled GMAIL App from my android smartphone and which was later duly re-installed by Google without asking when other apps were updated as a bunch on startup.

BUT for the time being at least, I have OpenCPN back to working just like it did a week ago, linked to Google Earth to show that view, in a side panel, as well as the chart view simultaneously.

My reason for posting was simply to warn others that recent versions (post 7.02) of Google Earth do not hookup with OpenCPN like earlier versions did and the solution until the OpenCPN guys work out a fix is to revert to an older version of GE from those that are still available to download , (I chose 7.02) but that in order for the same problem not to recur you then have to prevent google update from updating that older version at it's first opportunity

For those who think I'm being unkind to Sir Google, tough!. I bought a computer to perform for me not me to become a devotee of the great God Google.:disgust:

I hope my warning will be of use to the many other happy OpenCPN users out there.

Robin

Visit site
Slightly off topic but if you decide to uninstall any Google product be sure to re-enable those boxes in Msconfig before you do. Uninstalling programs that have components disabled from starting via Msconfig is known to cause problems (because the program can't uninstall completely).
Thanks and noted. Isuspect in this instance it is not a problem as all I really using msconfig was to stop google update from loading at start up. I subsequently located the googleupdate .exe program and deleted it (after a fight, it didn't want to go) and then blocked it in my firewall settings from getting through again, although probably Google will try and sneak it back via some other unrelated update

I'm too old and stupid to deal with this stuff every day:disgust:

GHA

Visit site
For those who think I'm being unkind to Sir Google, tough!. I bought a computer to perform for me not me to become a devotee of the great God Google.:disgust:
Then why do you use any of the free google products the first place? You installed some free software and now are ranting because the first free stuff changed and doesn't work with some other free software. Seems your help desk options to complain to may be a bit limited... ;)

And again, as a positive, the GE plugin isn't that great, GE2KAP is very useful for when you leave the dock and loose wifi. Why not use that. It's better.

st599

Visit site
Yes MY stuff I bought a laptop loaded with Win 8,and a whole bunch of stuff. I had no choice, that was what I bought and paid for nobody said it is 'on loan'.
There is a lot of stuff on line from others asking how to stop Google updates so I am not alone in being peed off.

Anyway after several hours I finally found and deleted googleupdate.exe plus told my firewall not to allow google update access. I cannot remember the detail but at some point I noticed that one change I had made had already been 'unchanged' back by Google update so it was not going to lie down gracefully. I also remember the wails when I uninstalled GMAIL App from my android smartphone and which was later duly re-installed by Google without asking when other apps were updated as a bunch on startup.

BUT for the time being at least, I have OpenCPN back to working just like it did a week ago, linked to Google Earth to show that view, in a side panel, as well as the chart view simultaneously.

My reason for posting was simply to warn others that recent versions (post 7.02) of Google Earth do not hookup with OpenCPN like earlier versions did and the solution until the OpenCPN guys work out a fix is to revert to an older version of GE from those that are still available to download , (I chose 7.02) but that in order for the same problem not to recur you then have to prevent google update from updating that older version at it's first opportunity

I hope my warning will be of use to the many other happy OpenCPN users out there.

I doubt Micro$oft's EULA agrees with you. You certainly don't own the Windows software.

Robin

Visit site
Then why do you use any of the free google products the first place? You installed some free software and now are ranting because the first free stuff changed and doesn't work with some other free software. Seems your help desk options to complain to may be a bit limited... ;#

And again, as a positive, the GE plugin isn't that great, GE2KAP is very useful for when you leave the dock and loose wifi. Why not use that. It's better.

WELL excuseME! I DID NOT DOWNLOAD GOOGLE EARTH FREE or otherwise, it came INCLUDED with Win 8/8.1 I have no idea what GE2Kap is either,should ? I have had no problems until now with openCPN and the GOOGLE EARTH I got with the computer.

Oh and I just spent the last 5 hours getting the boat laptop with Vista and openCPN/GE up and running. I managed to quickly stop google auto updates from updating whatever GE version is on that laptop, that bit was easy. BUT then Microsoft had to try and spoil my day because skype ( owned by MS now) would not load and sign me in, continually telling me my log-in or password was incorrect, even after I had reset it (twice). Eventually discovered that because I had sometime back stopped Skype from updating automatically, Microsoft said the version of skype I had was not going to allow me to sign in to my account again until I updated the software version (oh and I have paid for credit and paid for call subscriptions all live and topped up, with Skype so that is trebly annoying) Also in the new Skype version download, MS force BIng as the default search and MSn as the home page, so some more housekeeping needed to change that hijack attempt And before somebody says there are check boxes there to untick, there were not, not for the BING bit only the MSN part.

Why should I have to bow scrape and kiss arse to be able to use what cost me a lot of dollars and time to get up and running to suit my needs. I'm 70 now, had one stroke and trying hard in difficult circumstances to avoid another. I bought my computer to work for ME, not me for it. Obviously I am misguided.:disgust:

Last edited:

PabloPicasso

Visit site
WELL excuseME!

Why should I have to bow scrape and kiss arse to be able to use what cost me a lot of dollars. I bought my computer to work for ME, not me for it. Obviously I am misguided.:disgust:

Yes. I agree with you. Why do these IT guys change the way everything looks when you update. At work they updated word. It does the same thing (ie it word processes') but now I have to spend ages hunting around for features the I know where they were in the polder version.

Guys, leave the look and feel and way these things interact alone.

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
I remember when the Chrome browser was first introduced and how intrusive I found it; I went back to Firefox. Then I read how it had to be modified when discovered surreptitiously collecting data on users. No question, Google intends to take over the world.

bluerm166

Visit site
Google is threading it's way through our systems 'to give us a better experience' to a far greater extent than Microsoft ever dreamed of before it was rapped on the knuckles.Yes they give out useful freebies but have surely got past the point of dominating the web and suppressing other content and routes to other content.Another good reason to stay in the CE which I hope will set down some clear lines.It's strange that the US which developed anti-trust legislation doesn't see the parallels.

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
I remember when the Chrome browser was first introduced and how intrusive I found it; I went back to Firefox. Then I read how it had to be modified when discovered surreptitiously collecting data on users. No question, Google intends to take over the world.

Then there was the fuss when the Google Street View camera vans were found to be gathering data on private WiFi routers too...

Mike.

bluerm166

Visit site
How do you "suppress other content"on the web?

Well one way,for mobile use,is to make a near monopoly in selling apps. for the android system via the 'Play Store'.You have to be a pretty technical company and a techie user to do it any other way.

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
Well one way,for mobile use,is to make a near monopoly in selling apps. for the android system via the 'Play Store'.You have to be a pretty technical company and a techie user to do it any other way.

Apps in the Play Store are mostly not written by Google. A lot of them are freebies written, in effect, as "vanity publishing" exercises. And once you have found the Android setting that lets you install an .APK file that does not come from the Play Store, that's pretty simple, too.

I understand that the Apple equivalent is not nearly so open, but I have not been there.

Mike.