Going round the Mull of Kintyre.

Quandary

Visit site
Needed to move our boat from Ardrishaig to its summer berth at Crinan. Set off on a cold wet Monday afternoon, stopped overnight in a very dreary and depressed looking Tarbert, then a fast broad reach in 20ks. plus down to Campbeltown, W wind whistling out of the harbour made berthing difficult but we had help from a young lad off the OYC yacht. Great evening in the Ardshiel now my favourite pub in all Scotland. Wed. morning we decided to follow the local suggested timing and set off 2 hours before local h.w. motoring in negligible wind. By the time we left at 10-30 the visitor pontoons were empty. Kept close inshore until Sanda sound to cheat the still flooding tide, turned with us by the time we passed the Arranman Barrels, as we reached Southend the very light NW went dead ahead and increased rapidly to 17-22 kts, so too lazy to beat, the sails came down to save them from a thrashing, now making 9kts. over ground, very disturbed whitewater ahead off the South pointof the Mull with a very narrow smooth strip close inshore under the cliffs but with the wind onshore did not have the confidence to go in too close, as we hit the worst of the white water approaching the Light the slamming brought our boat speed down to less than 4 kts. but our speed over the ground was now reading over 12kts. Once past the Light things rapidly returned to normal, the excitement only lasted just over half an hour, then we were motoring on toward Gigha with not enough wind to assist our passage, everyone seemed to be heading for Ardminish bay so we hardened up a bit and headed for Craighouse.
By the way, Craighouse has not laid visitor moorings this year so with so much kelp and sunken chain in Loch Na Mile we carried on to Lowlandmans Bay and found a snug anchorage over clean hard sand in Drum an Dunan.
So what was learned, the tides are very strong (8kts) less than an hour after local HW and the smooth inshore strip is very narrow approaching springs, however any earlier means an adverse tide in Sanda Sound. The wind we experienced, around 22 kts. was more than one third tide and remarkably local, seemed to be generated by the tide and the obstruction of the headland and though we were following the shore through 360 degrees remained dead on the nose. Keeping very close to the shore would be much more comfortable if a bit slower but with the wind dead ahead and onshore all the way round would give no leeway with a missed tack or engine problem. I think I would still opt for the washing machine as the faster safer option, we got a few big splashes in the cockpit but nothing dangerous. We noticed a yacht bearing off toward Rathlin from the S point of the Mull. he would have been a lot more comfortable going south a bit earlier from Sanda. The 2 hours before C'town HW departure does give you a good lift northwards we were past Islay and closing Jura before we started to slow down.
Tides in the lower Sound Of Jura are far from straight foward with double high waters and flow changing every 3 hours but today was very clear, sunny and almost warm as we came north to Crinan.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
We might possibly follow you round in a few weeks, but it's looking increasingly likely that for work and other reasons the boat is going to spend another year ashore. Damn it.

ctva

Visit site
We might possibly follow you round in a few weeks, but it's looking increasingly likely that for work and other reasons the boat is going to spend another year ashore. Damn it.
Shame, sitting here in Bellanoch just now with a lovely ice sky and malt in hand.

stevie69p

Visit site
I came round yesterday after an early start out of Campbeltown, lazily tacking my way down to Sanda Sound in no hurry. Entered the sound about an hour before hw Greenock and was making good speed over the ground (no wind by this stage so was motoring). Kept well inshore heading for Deas Point, but the smooth patch is scarily close to the rocks, so just went through the slightly lumpy bit about 30 metres out. As soon as I got to Deas Point, wind suddenly appeared, just 5 knots on the starboard beam, and once round by the lighthouse it was 15 knots apparent on a broad reach with just a working jib up. Had about 15 minutes of very confused water around the area of the lighthouse, with the boat being pushed in all directions, but soon enough out the other side and a good lift almost all the way to Gigha. Best trip round for me, so far....

Railbob

Visit site
Thanks Quandry for the info, we are planning on going round the Mull at the beginning of June and were planning on stopping at Craighouse for an overnight before an early start to run up to Tobermory. Will now have to look at alternate mooring/anchoring spot.

ctva

Visit site
Thanks Quandry for the info, we are planning on going round the Mull at the beginning of June and were planning on stopping at Craighouse for an overnight before an early start to run up to Tobermory. Will now have to look at alternate mooring/anchoring spot.
There are a multitude of anchoring spots on both the east and west side of the Sound of Jura including Craighouse Wheee we usually anchor anyway.

SaltIre

Visit site
Craighouse can be a bit unpleasant on the moorings due to swell. I guess most places can be...
I've often anchored in the bay, close to the southernmost island. It's further from the hotel, though...

Railbob

Visit site
Craighouse can be a bit unpleasant on the moorings due to swell. I guess most places can be...
I've often anchored in the bay, close to the southernmost island. It's further from the hotel, though...
Yes I‘be found that out myself a couple of years ago ?. We were moored in Craighouse on an absolutely beautiful night, totally flat calm, then about 3 in the morning the boat started to roll quite violently. I jumped out of the bed and looked out of the companionway hatch to see what on Earth was happening. What I saw can be described as a “Meerkat “ moment, heads were popping out of the moored boats all around me ?.

You could actually see the swell rolling into the bay, my brother who was moored that night in Lamlash Bay also experienced the same thing.

Quandary

Visit site
There are places in Loch na Mile where the bottom is not foul and the kelp is less than 3m. high but it is far from the most pleasant anchorage on the east coast of Jura unless you really have to get to the hotel. Tight in behind the island to stbd. of the etrance is probably best for avoiding the swell that seems to come in from nowhere but it is a long way to the pontoon. The absence of the visitors moorings encouraged me to believe they were not really that keen to welcome visitors and the prospect of inadvertently fouling a ground chain drove us away from the village.
We anchored in Drum an Dunan which faces north into Lowlandmans bay in 4m. just beyond the skerries but quite a way out from the sandy beach, very peaceful but the trees and cliffs along the west side means that the sun sets early.

claymore

Visit site
We've always been very comfortable parked alongside the Pier - its handy for getting rid of gash and walking back from the Pub

Railbob

Visit site
There are places in Loch na Mile where the bottom is not foul and the kelp is less than 3m. high but it is far from the most pleasant anchorage on the east coast of Jura unless you really have to get to the hotel. Tight in behind the island to stbd. of the etrance is probably best for avoiding the swell that seems to come in from nowhere but it is a long way to the pontoon. The absence of the visitors moorings encouraged me to believe they were not really that keen to welcome visitors and the prospect of inadvertently fouling a ground chain drove us away from the village.
We anchored in Drum an Dunan which faces north into Lowlandmans bay in 4m. just beyond the skerries but quite a way out from the sandy beach, very peaceful but the trees and cliffs along the west side means that the sun sets early.
Quandry is Drum an Dunan the small bay on the left when you enter Lowlandmans Bay? if it is it looks a good spot to drop the anchor , we'll probably arrive around 7pm and be off for about 5:30 am to catch the tide.

wully1

Visit site
Quandry is Drum an Dunan the small bay on the left when you enter Lowlandmans Bay? if it is it looks a good spot to drop the anchor , we'll probably arrive around 7pm and be off for about 5:30 am to catch the tide.

We’ve anchored in there a few times in settled weather, not sure what’s it’s called but it is in the Pilot book

ctva

Visit site
Yes. But the wind is from the north just now so might be better by the pier in Lowlandmans bay.

Quandary

Visit site
BTW Coming north from the lighthouse we spotted a small green yacht on the narrow beach under the cliffs about a mile south of Macrihanish bay, not knowing anything about it we went in to investigate but no sign of life so we presumed it has been there for some time. Can not see it lasting long there but while it is, spotting it in such a hazardous location may cause others an unecessary diversion.