Go Big or Go Home?

GravyStain

Visit site
We are a combo of type 1+ and 3 and the kids have long since flown the nest .
MikesF ,s post is excellent , We started in the Cote d Azur as Nice is Frances ( pre covid ) 2nd busiest airport and was easy to get in / out from the UK year round ,Also its easy to spin off to other EU places ,Eg a few days on the boat ( Oct 1/ 2 term ) followed by a few days in say Venice .
Similarly @ Easter with the kids a week sking followed by a fight from GVA to NCE to boat .

How ever since retiring @54 and relocating to Europe after 15 years based 35 mins from NCE we recently more for a change of scenery moved the boat to Italy , despite a holiday home in Antibes ( the group 1 qually )
I have had the pleasure of being on both MikeFs , Marc ‘s, MC Anderson’s boat and rendezvousing with Bouba on here .
All different boats .
.Theres plenty of marinas in the Cote d Azur with lovely beaches within a short walk or adjacent for the bucket + spade stage with the kids + a lot of shore side stuff to visit , the keep entertaining the kids .
Tbo we never got the “ kevin” experience when they were teenagers they enjoyed it , the travel the boat , the restaurant s and general razza mataze .
As said we always flew in social hours etc , sat in air port lounges and had a few car hire club cards so zero queue s , or just took taxis .

Boats , around 50 ft on shafts .
The berths are beam specific.You can go wider, if you do it moves you up a category with the tariffs .An extra meter or so length is allowed .
So you need to balance , the berth , the boat and the location paying particular attention to the distance from an airport and the flights available when you intend to use it .Also the shore side attractions for the kid(s) and when the weather dictates not going out .
There are multiple solutions .

Edit none of us have British boats ! read into that what you will and we bought them in the Med as well .
Interesting that you all have "foreign" boats. I've tended to look at the obvious British choices. I don't mind who the manufacturer is as long as the quality / spec is good etc...

is it obviously easier to get spares etc.. for the likes of Rodman, Azimut, Astondoa, Beneteau?

Do I need to avoid certain manufacturers? Are there european mftrs that are considered better than others?

just by way of an example...
2004 Rodman 56 Power New and Used Boats for Sale - www.yachtworld.co.uk

Thanks Porto...

Hurricane

Visit site
WOW! Those are cheap marina fees! Thanks for the advice. As I said, I'm not stuck to going to sothern Spain as my knowledge of the area is limited. I only chose that because of the Climate. Your marina has some great advantages - close to Barcelona, Valencia, The Balaerics and good cruising areas.

Can I ask - what are the facilities like in terms of maintenance / services etc???

Edit - Great video by the way.
Have a look at our marina forum.
Set up by berth holders for berth holders - not funded by the marina - completely self sufficient but the forum maintains a close link with the marina, its manager and the staff..
Here is a virtual tour of the marina that I did with my drone - you can see that the marina is a short walk from the town.
SCMCHAT 3D Virtual Tour
If you pan round to the left of the entrance, you will see the lagoon - 1.5 miles wide, 7 miles long and about 6m at its deepest - muddy bottom so very good holding.
Thats where we take all the toys.

This was taken a few years ago before we had good cheap video quality.
Our family when they were younger enjoying the toys in the lagoon:-

And a little more recently in one of the popular lagoon anchorages with the Dinghy Go - an inflatable sailing dinghy that several of us have bought.
You can see the natural sand bank that forms the lagoon

Lots of yachties will drop the hook in that anchorage prior to setting off for the islands or "crash out" there at anchor after arriving home after a long passage.
For us motor boaters, though, it only takes a few extra minutes to get to/from our berths so we tend to use the lagoon mostly during the daytime.
A really nice thing to do is buy some fresh prawns and the Spanish cheap cava - pop out to the lagoon, and watch the sun setting over the Montsia (our local mountain.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Visit site
Have a look at our marina forum.
Set up by berth holders for berth holders - not funded by the marina - completely self sufficient but the forum maintains a close link with the marina, its manager and the staff..
Here is a virtual tour of the marina that I did with my drone - you can see that the marina is a short walk from the town.
SCMCHAT 3D Virtual Tour
If you pan round to the left of the entrance, you will see the lagoon - 1.5 miles wide, miles long, 7 miles long and about 6m at its deepest - muddy bottom so very good holding.
Thats where we take all the toys.

This was taken a few years ago before we had good cheap video quality.
Our family when they were younger enjoying the toys in the lagoon:-

And a little more recently in one of the popular lagoon anchorages with the Dinghy Go - an inflatable sailing dinghy that several of us have bought.
You can see the natural sand bank that forms the lagoon

Lots of yachties will drop the hook in that anchorage prior to setting off for the islands or "crash out" there at anchor after arriving home after a long passage.
For us motor boaters, though, it only takes a few extra minutes to get to/from our berths so we tend to use the lagoon mostly during the daytime.
A really nice thing to do is buy some fresh prawns and the Spanish cheap cava - pop out to the lagoon, and watch the sun setting over the Montsia (our local mountain.
I've just checked.
It seems that you have just signed up to SCMCHAT and James (my friend who manages the forum membership) has already approved you.
He was "on the ball" this time!!
Any problems, just let me know.

GravyStain

Visit site
Thanks - you've been a great help. Just need COVID to bugger off now so I can finish all my exams :( !

BTW, what is your boat?

Hurricane

Visit site
Thanks - you've been a great help. Just need COVID to bugger off now so I can finish all my exams :( !

BTW, what is your boat?
She is a Princess 67 so a bit bigger than you are contemplating.
She is well known on here and articles that I have written for Motor Boat and Yachting - one due in next month's edition (January).
A friend of mine who posts here on this forum as well has just bought an 8 year old (I think) Phantom 48 which he keeps in SC.
Maybe worth talking to him.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Do I need to avoid certain manufacturers? Are there european mftrs that are considered better than others?

The short answer is probably not although I'm not going to say which manufacturers are considered better than others because it will just start a war on here :p What I would say is stick to the mainstream manufacturers for the sole reason that the boat will be easier to sell on. That means Princess, Fairline, Sunseeker and maybe Sealine from the UK (although Sealine are German now), Beneteau, Jeanneau from France, Rodman from Spain and Azimut, Ferretti, Absolute and Cranchi from Italy. There are manufacturers that I've missed out there and I will get flamed for that

What I would say is that I and a number of other discerning forumites in the Med own Ferrettis so you might want to put that marque on your list?

As for getting maintenance and spares there wont be much difference across any of those marques but when you start looking at boats in detail you should note the manufacturers of all of the major components and find out how easy it is to get maintenance for them in your chosen location because that should be a factor in your buying decision

Hurricane

Visit site
The short answer is probably not although I'm not going to say which manufacturers are considered better than others because it will just start a war on here :p What I would say is stick to the mainstream manufacturers for the sole reason that the boat will be easier to sell on. That means Princess, Fairline, Sunseeker and maybe Sealine from the UK (although Sealine are German now), Beneteau, Jeanneau from France, Rodman from Spain and Azimut, Ferretti, Absolute and Cranchi from Italy. There are manufacturers that I've missed out there and I will get flamed for that

What I would say is that I and a number of other discerning forumites in the Med own Ferrettis so you might want to put that marque on your list?

As for getting maintenance and spares there wont be much difference across any of those marques but when you start looking at boats in detail you should note the manufacturers of all of the major components and find out how easy it is to get maintenance for them in your chosen location because that should be a factor in your buying decision
Agreed
Especially the spares.
Boats aren't like cars - the boat builders generally pick their components from mainstream suppliers.
The trick is to find out who/what they use and then where to buy it.

Portofino

Visit site
Waiting for Porto...10, 9 , 8 , 7 , 6.....
I ,am taking Mike’s covered them in terms of build quality, as they have been one of the Ferretti groups vast portfolios ( since 2005 ) and incase you have not been following the OP has already said he’s in group 2 the floating apartment , school holidays etc , none villa owner , and is understandably narrowed his search down for his boat to FB s .

I will keep my powder dry with regards to seakeeping, ride comfort , waves , getting caught out , miserable crew , because there’s an inevitability with boating conditions in the Med .Experience tells me so .:)

jrudge

Visit site
Agreed
Especially the spares.
Boats aren't like cars - the boat builders generally pick their components from mainstream suppliers.
The trick is to find out who/what they use and then where to buy it.
But they do mostly pull from the same parts bin. Volvo, side power , marineair / dometic etc etc which makes life simpler

GravyStain

Visit site
She is a Princess 67 so a bit bigger than you are contemplating.
She is well known on here and articles that I have written for Motor Boat and Yachting - one due in next month's edition (January).
A friend of mine who posts here on this forum as well has just bought an 8 year old (I think) Phantom 48 which he keeps in SC.
Maybe worth talking to him.
A Phantom 48 ticks a lot of boxes...

So, hear me out on this gang -

I can either get in the water in a years time (after all exams hunting and buying etc with £175,000 worth of boat), or wait an additional 18 / 24 months and spend £300,000. Like many paople I have money tied up...Most people say "Go and buy a boat and get on the water NOW"...and worry about changing up after a wee while. I know there's fees attached too.

What are your thoughts? I don't really want to wait too long (I'm bloody 53 as it is :) ). I can get a perfectly decent boat for £175,000 to £200,000 (see how I upped the amount already).

Cheers guys. I Look forward to hearing the distillated mumblings :)

Bouba

Visit site
A Phantom 48 ticks a lot of boxes...

So, hear me out on this gang -

I can either get in the water in a years time (after all exams hunting and buying etc with £175,000 worth of boat), or wait an additional 18 / 24 months and spend £300,000. Like many paople I have money tied up...Most people say "Go and buy a boat and get on the water NOW"...and worry about changing up after a wee while. I know there's fees attached too.

What are your thoughts? I don't really want to wait too long (I'm bloody 53 as it is :) ). I can get a perfectly decent boat for £175,000 to £200,000 (see how I upped the amount already).

Cheers guys. I Look forward to hearing the distillated mumblings :)
Personally I always take the view that you don’t get any younger. So I wouldn’t miss a couple of years, besides life has a funny way way of making a couple of years into four or five. The first boat (or is it your first live on boat?) is a great learning experience, two years will teach you and your family a lot. And when these extra funds become available you might have very different ideas to which kind of boat and location you want and will be back on this forum discussing your next boat.
Go for it!

jrudge

Visit site
I would find the extra now! Trading up boats is slow and bears the brokers substantial commission. They are easier to buy than sell. "Starting Small" is a popular view, but one that a short while later most regret.

A big boat is just a easy to crew as a small one - often simpler.

Hurricane

Visit site
I would find the extra now! Trading up boats is slow and bears the brokers substantial commission. They are easier to buy than sell. "Starting Small" is a popular view, but one that a short while later most regret.

A big boat is just a easy to crew as a small one - often simpler.
It is easy for us to say - I know thats what I would do - sound like you as well.
But we have had that experience of learning through other boats.
It is difficult to recommend what to do in this case.
I think I would edge on buying bigger now - mainly because he has said that he wants to use the boat in the Med.
And one thing that we have all learned is that the same boat you have in the UK gets smaller when it gets into the Med.
If I were in GravyStain's situation (with my experience of having owned and upgraded myself), I think I would try and push for a Squaddie 58 which I think would last through any "I wish I had that" feelings.
jrudge - you have a Squaddie 58 - could he get something like that with his budgets?

BartW

www.amptec.be
FWIW,
in addition to the good advice above, (In Deleted User's scale, I'm a type 2 owner )

10y ago we went up from a 28ft boat to our curent 75ft Canados,
about the size; we have a habit of spending our summer holiday's with friends and or family onboard,
so for us, this size is really convenient
but yes indeed all costs go up with size; mooring, maintenance, insurance, ...
We can not imagine boating on a smaller boat anymore, the boat is our second home.

we can handle the boat with just the two of us, me and my wife,
in summer we hire a crew girl for cooking and cleaning

when we bought the boat, she was 20yo, curently 30yo, so we may say that we have some experience with older boats !
imo on any boat you will have issues,
we combined the usual maintenance and repair with some serious upgrades, ao Hilo platform, zero speed fin stabs, ..
the boat still has the original engines, genny's, pumps, ..
but all domestic appliances have been replaced over time.
If you start from a well made and good brand, and you're a bit hands on, this is all doable.
I'm gladd that we didn't choose for a wooden hull boat at that time,

use of the boat,
in non covid times we go at least ones a month to the boat, sometimes just a weekend or a couple of day's,
in summer we spend 6 to 10 weeks on the boat, (this year only 3)
so for us, travel time to the boat is very important !

we have been in different regions; 3y SOF, 3y Croatia / Montenegro, 1y Italy (Amalfi),
and now starting the 4th year in Sardegna, first we visited the north-east, since 3y our home berth is in Cagliari
this is a super interesting place, because the marina is in the center of the big old town, and a nice cruising region.
The airport is at 10min car drive, Ryanair flights to Belgium twice a week, all winter
another attractive feature here are berth prices !

we are eagerly looking forward to one more "normal" boating season in Sardegna ;-)

Bouba

Visit site
The first type is the person who already has a property in the Med and the boat will just be an add on to his villa lifestyle, in other words a day boat. This type of boater is probably best suited to a sports cruiser of moderate size (say 30-40ft) which maximises sunbathing and loafing space and minimises accommodation (must have heads/shower though). The boat will only ever go to the nearest anchorage so engine type, fuel range etc is immaterial. It doesnt matter how old the boat is because, if it breaks down, well there's always the pool
I’m a one (it was like he wrote it with me in mind?) except I live in a maison not a villa! I think mike should run a survey

Sticky Fingers

Visit site