Go Big or Go Home?

Hooligan

Visit site
Yes, I've spotted this one before... It's the right boat, cracking spec but wrong price for me at the moment though. In 2-3 years this is doable but not in the next 12 months. Too pricey right now :(

Also, looking at this price - EVERYTHING has gone nuts in price,:- watches, handbags, jewellery, cars, boats... I was going to treat myself to a new to me Targa (not the Fairline variety) of 3-4 years old. They've gone up around 10k. My car has gone up around 4-5k.

That's all well and good, but the increase on the price of a boat is massive compared to a piddly car...It boils my piss, but that's capitalism for you. That Squaddie would have been £50k leass 18 months ago I reckon.
I know of a S58 that you could potentially get a good deal on. It is in great order but a specific reason why it isn’t flying off the rails that is more perception than reality. PM me for more details.

BTW every year when I add things up ie engine service, fuel, marina, one off repairs - the bill is twice what i mentally think it is or will be. This is what it call boat owners sanity protection! You cannot though sadly get away from the fact that the real cost of a boat is after you buy it!

Hurricane

Visit site
BTW every year when I add things up ie engine service, fuel, marina, one off repairs - the bill is twice what i mentally think it is or will be. This is what it call boat owners sanity protection! You cannot though sadly get away from the fact that the real cost of a boat is after you buy it!
Often referred to as "Reassuringly expensive"

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
So Gravy, what did you decide? Resurrecting this excellent thread for no good reason… ?
Haha!

Dunno yet - Still need to take my practicals (planning on somewhere in Spain, when I can get there). I do like the oddball Squaddie 52 (maybe I'm odd) but hanker after a Squaddie 58. Also the Princess 55 / 58?? (all have the centre utility room / berth which is very very handy). Actually having said all that, the boat will choose me as much as I will choose it (in a financial sense). My pockets , whilst not shallow, aren't overly deep either, and annual costs definitely come into play, as does the issue of where to keep it. SWMBO (I am pretty sure) would like the boat to be close to a relatively thriving metropolis, which (for my pocket) would mean mainland Spain (Denia, Alicante or Valencia spring to mind). Palma and the like (Portals etc...) will be too rich for my blood unfortunately.

Ultimately though I think that my powder is being kept firmly dry until I can sort the above practicals and start to visit some boats. A couple of guys on here have kindly offered for me to have a nose around their boats to get a feel for freeboard / engine access etc...

I'm still open to all suggestions.

I am also somewhat disheartened by the potential red tape that may or may not happen with boat ownership in the Med and it can be confusing when reading some of the threads on here (although all are appreciated).

This thread is a great distillation of mine and other peoples thoughts, and I hope it helps someone as much as it has helped me one day...Thanks for the bump Scala!

Well, many months later and with nothing better to do, I fancied a repeat thread resurrection.... :) So @GravyStain did you decide?

GravyStain

Visit site
Well, many months later and with nothing better to do, I fancied a repeat thread resurrection.... :) So @GravyStain did you decide?
Haha Scala... You've pre-empted me!

I've just put down the deposit and will be completing the purchase of a 1/4 share in a lovely Squaddie 58 in Cala D'or. I've spoken at length with the owner over the last year. A really nice guy and we get on very well.

I've dragged my heels because of poor timing on my part and because I wanted to see the makeup of the other members. Having a 6 year old means that the other members not having kids, or grown up etc was a big factor for me.

As it stands at the moment I'm the only one with kids of school age, thus limited to specific times of the year.

All the members seem in it for the long haul which again is important.

I'm sure he won't mind me saying but @jrudge knows the boat and has kindly helped me a tad in the matter.
She's a 2006 and had a £40k refit around two years ago. All the fees are fair and transparent.
It's my dream boat in almost all respects and I couldn't afford to buy outright in the next 2 or 3 years so this is a perfect fit for me and my family.

I'll pop some pictures up tomorrow.

Suffice to say I'm slightly excited. ?

Last edited:

Hooligan

Visit site
Haha Scala... You've pre-empted me!

I've just put down the deposit and will be completing the purchase of a 1/4 share in a lovely Squaddie 58 in Cala D'or. I've spoken at length with the owner over the last year. A really nice guy and we get on very well.

I've dragged my heels because of poor timing on my part and because I wanted to see the makeup of the other members. Having a 6 year old means that the other members not having kids, or grown up etc was a big factor for me.

As it stands at the moment I'm the only one with kids of school age, this limited to specific times of the year.

All the members seem in it for the long haul which again is important.

I'm sure he won't mind me saying but @jrudge knows the boat and has kindly helped me a tad in the matter.
She's a 2006 and had a £40k refit around two years ago. All the fees are fair and transparent.
It's my dream boat in almost all respects and I couldn't afford to buy outright in the next 2 or 3 years so this is a perfect fit for me and my family.

I'll pop some pictures up tomorrow.

Suffice to say I'm slightly excited. ?
Fantastic news. Great boat and of course having @jrudge nearby will solve many of those tricky problems that occasionally arise ??. Now you need to hope that you can actually get out to see it and that the lunacy abates. From my time in that part of the world massive recommendation for Cabrera, special place, and I also loved the West Coast up to the North. Need to get the weather right but some great bays and not as crowded as the South and East.