GibSea 242 as a First Boat

SteveW1

Visit site
Dear All,
I have found a 1987 GibSea 242 that has been sailed in freshwater only in the lakes.

I would be grateful if anyone could give me any advice as to the suitability of this boat as a first boat, and if there are any inherent problems with this model.

It has a fixed iron fin keel.
Many thanks

SteveW1

DepSol

Visit site
My freind has one as his first boat and learnt to sail on it as is going to Lezardrieux on his own this weekend with it.

Boat looks fine and he has had no problems with it but I am a MB so cant say for sure.

Dom

I am boating again ;-)

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
There are lots of boats at this size that are good for starting out. It is a reasonable size for accommodation for week-ending etc, it is small enough to allow you the opportunity to get used to boat handling without undue loads and handling under power and sail, also learning to sail single handed. Maintenance jobs should be within your reach or not overly expensive to get someone else to do. (one would hope!) Should be capable of decent coastal hops as well and is the type of boat that will resell at the right price if you don't want to continue or want to upgrade.

Have you checked to see if there is an owners-club website for inherent problems. Can't comment on fresh water but for both these search for the sailnet (US) website which should have info on the technical side of things.

richardknight

Visit site
Steve,

We had a GibSea 242 until 3 seasons ago, and indeed it was our first boat which we kept for 2 seasons. We learnt alot from her with our typical voyages being from Poole either down to Weymouth or round to somewhere in the Solent.

In terms of the negatives - being a relatively small and hence light boat we did get thrown around quite alot which meant for some fairly uncorfortable passages occasionally. Under engine in anything apart from calm waters we found her a problem, the reason being because the engine being an ourboard was enclosed in the port locker. Being left of centre meant that whenever the boat heeled to starboard whilst under engine the outboard had a tendency to lift out of the water hence impacting our already slow speed considerably (an inboard engine wouldn't have had this problem).

When we came to sell her, what we'd found as a reason to buy her was in most people case a reason not too. I'm referring to the open plan layout below decks. Great for space, not so great for privacy and hence it took a fair bit longer than we'd expected to sell her and at a far lower price than we'd hoped.

We knew the limitations engine wise when we bought her, but being from a dinghy background had decided that an engine wasn't that important. Whilst I still agree that sailing boats are for sailing, I will also admit that there are times when you just want to turn the key and get the engine going.

My summary to you would be to think about how important the engine is to you - not having a great one is a great aid to building sailing skills! Also, how long would you plan to keep her bearing in mind our experiences of selling one.

Best of luck and feel free to fire me an email to my inbox if I can help.

Richard

DownWest

Visit site
Personally, I would go for the Sangria and sort the engine. But I understand if you are not a keen DIY engineer. I just sold a perfectly functional 2GM20 for €950. Lots of fresh bits, inc the injectors and refurbed cylinder head. Bargine for the buyer.

Good friend, in your age group, has just sorted a 29 ft oldy. He has done some really interesting voyages in the past, including with a 34ft gaff ketch that he built. Age ability with the 'new' boat has bought home limitations.
So, get out there with something practical and cruise the rias. Remember, the weak link is not the boat, usually the crew.
I too am looking at reduced ability, so have built a little cruiser that is easy to sail locally. The feel of the sea as you get out of the harbour is magic.