Motoring without rig

srm

Visit site
I think William is talking about the movement and yes, they will be a greater righting moment due to the lower C of G but the keel should give some damping to that movement thus reducing the movement with the mast down
That is what I understood. The righting moment governs whether a boat is tender or stiff and thus its lateral motion. The keel and its damping effect is the same, mast up or down, unless it is of the lifting variety in which case lowering the keel will increase damping, The damping effect will also depend on the lateral area of the keel and chord. The change in motion without rig is primarily due to the change in the C of G relative to the centre of buoyancy as all the other factors with a fixed keel remain essentially the same (there will be a change in displacement as he is leaving the rig ashore).

Bodach na mara

Visit site
Moving the boat should be no problem. I've done it twice. The first time in an old 6-metre when the mast was "removed" during a gale by a boat which was dragging its mooring getting hooked on my backstay. I found a replacement mast at Garelochhead, motored to collect it, back to Gourock for a week then up the Clyde to Bowling Basin. All with a side-mounted Seagull 102+.

The next time was more civilised. The mast broke while I was sailing off Largs and after getting the wreckage aboard I motored to the marina. I arranged to lay up at Renfrew and motored to there from Largs, about 24 miles, but with a proper inboard diesel engine.

One thing I would be worried about in your case is whether the place where you lift out and leave the mast may charge you for storing it!

winch2

Visit site
For the life of me I cannot figure how it can be more uncomfortable without the mast. Surely the mast actually creates more of a rolling motion anyway ie higher CofG? Yes I know MoBos roll hideously but then they dont have a whopping great lump of lead dragging along the bottom keeping everything steady. Anyway good luck, sounds like fun.

Sea Change

Visit site
For the life of me I cannot figure how it can be more uncomfortable without the mast. Surely the mast actually creates more of a rolling motion anyway ie higher CofG? Yes I know MoBos roll hideously but then they dont have a whopping great lump of lead dragging along the bottom keeping everything steady. Anyway good luck, sounds like fun.
I think the correct term is 'moment of inertia'. The mast acts to dampen the speed of the roll.

winch2

Visit site
I think the correct term is 'moment of inertia'. The mast acts to dampen the speed of the roll.
Of course, I hadn't thght of that. I suppose its 6 of one half dozen the other, but the dampening effect of the mast is the stronger of the two.. ie keel/cofg.
I seem to be having way to many senior moments lately!

Tranona

Visit site
Suggest you read the account in September PBO on motoring a dismasted 48 footer from Cape Verdes to Gran Canaria. Challenged even the very experienced delivery crew.