Gas rage!

lustyd

Visit site
Why is it that this whole industry acts as if Calor is the customer and we’re the product? YM have an article basically explaining why poor old Calor can’t cope.
Why is there a Calor Gas shortage? - Yachting Monthly

My marina yesterday didn’t have cylinders (same answer for going on two years!) and for some reason after saying they didn’t have any and hadn’t for some time then changed tune when I asked if they’d mind adding a FloGas cage and said they do get 4.5kg cylinders delivered. She even went as far as to suggest boaters aren’t using gas anymore and instead use electric, so presumably this marina is designed for live aboards.

Apparently I’m just unlucky. For two years. Plus a year at the old marina. Didn’t even really acknowledge the possibility of adding a reputable supplier so their customers could actually go cruising.

Is it me, or should marinas be able to supply gas as a basic part of the contract? No gas means very stressful cruising. Despite the article promising things will be better in 2023 I’ll probably still switch to FloGas who appear to have been supplying gas throughout.

Stemar

Visit site
I'd guess - pure speculation - that boat/caravan bottles are less profitable than other things so, while there's a shortage, courtesy of Vlad the Invader, they're doing the profitable thing. Shareholders are more important than customers, obviously. Until, of course, you haven't got the customers, then the shareholders have got nothing.

I see that Socal in Southampton doesn't even list the 4.5kg bottles on their webpage now, but I can buy a new issue bottle for £40 plus the gas. If that's the only way to get gas now, that would get me mad. They screw up by producing faulty bottles so I have to buy a new one even though my bottles aren't in the faulty batch? I don't think so.

xyachtdave

Visit site
Had the same problem with Gaz 907. Chandlers couldn’t get it, found it at a camping site eventually. Highest price so far £45.99

I’m surprised by that, 907’s although at £40 each aren’t difficult to source locally. Our local camping shop had about 30 on the shelf a few weeks ago but had no Calor at all in any size.

lustyd

Visit site
while there's a shortage, courtesy of Vlad the Invader,
This predates Russia by two years so literally nothing to do with the issues at Calor. They’re just badly managed and nobody seems willing to help break their monopoly and move on. The solution isn’t to muddle on and hope Calor decide to supply gas, it’s to demand marinas supply something that’s available like FloGas. For some reason I feel I’m the only one that sees it though despite the many threads on boating, camping, caravanning, narrowboat and other forums!

Boathook

Visit site
Would flogas be able to have bottles at the majority of marinas for those that run out whilst away. Its very well the main dealer 5 miles inland with some but it means a car as I suspect taxis and public transport would decline to transport you.

lustyd

Visit site
Would flogas be able to have bottles at the majority of marinas for those that run out whilst away. Its very well the main dealer 5 miles inland with some but it means a car as I suspect taxis and public transport would decline to transport you.
If it’s a choice between a taxi ride and no gas I’ll take the taxi ride. Calor is not available at any marina either, it just looks like it because of the empties in cages. Any discussion of this must start from the fact that Calor have failed to deliver gas for years now, so the solution isn’t Calor in any way.

KevinT1

Visit site
Why is it that this whole industry acts as if Calor is the customer and we’re the product? YM have an article basically explaining why poor old Calor can’t cope.
Why is there a Calor Gas shortage? - Yachting Monthly

Agree, that article is rubbish, states that the SouthEast has a problem due to a local depot - but we have the same issue in Plymouth and you can see other posts on the forum that talk about shortages across the country.

Yachting Monthly should do some proper Investigation, such as asking if there is any truth that Calor are planning to discontinue the 4.5 kg size bottles.

lustyd

Visit site
Indeed, we did CIs and most of the south coast and asked in every port, marina, shop and chandlery and nobody had gas. Most of them looked sick of answering the question yet not one said they had plans to change supplier. Calor is an effective monopoly as the post above shows. If people think changing supplier is a problem because the cage in the marina is Calor how can anyone challenge Calor? Even after 2-3 years with no explanation and no supply they have a stranglehold on the market. The inland waterway people have reported them to the CMA for investigation. I’m curious what (if anything) the RYA and CA are doing, and would love the magazines to do a proper article explaining how we’re supposed to cruise with no gas and a pocket full of apologies. Hopefully they’re smarter than my marina and won’t suggest switching to electric. That’s the dumbest thing I’ve heard, including Calor’s excuses!

Clancy Moped

Visit site
During lockdown sales of patio heaters and gas BBQ's went through the roof, how many half-unused canisters must be kicking around out of circulation.

Reactions: Obi

KevinT1

Visit site
During lockdown sales of patio heaters and gas BBQ's went through the roof, how many half-unused canisters must be kicking around out of circulation.
Patio heaters and BBQs use different bottles to the 4.5 kg, so just another red herring by Calor.

The 4.5 kg bottle fits a lot of yacht gas lockers - I for one can’t find another equivalent size, that will fit.

The straight forward question that needs asking is “ Are Calor gas intending to discontinue the 4.5 kg size bottles ? “

Reactions: Ink

lustyd

Visit site
There is not a cylinder shortage. Every cage is full to the brim with empty cylinders. This excuse blames the customer. How many businesses complain and shut down when their product becomes more popular?

lustyd

Visit site
I for one can’t find another equivalent size, that will fit.
FloGas 4.5KG is identical dimensions but uses a push on regulator, so actually a bit more convenient. They seem to have plenty too.

4.5kg Butane Gas Cylinder With 20mm Regulator | Flogas

The thing we all need to do is ask marinas to stock these available cylinders so we can use them conveniently. Even without marinas doing the right thing, it's more convenient to drive or swap one at home than to use Calor and wait who knows how many years for a cup of tea!

SaltyC

Visit site
My marina hasn't had 4.5kg's for a few years but the local main supplier 5 miles up the road always has them. It seems to be a case of finding out who the main supplier is in the area in question...
Ditto. I am probably in the minority but use 7kg calor, the marina only have a small stock at the best of times, last 2 years missed out but the Calor Dealer 4 miles away no probs! Home marina so car available.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Well believe it or not long term cruisers are switch to electric, many have hobs and ovens electric.
I do understand many who post here are small boats and weekend sailors and not prepared to go to the expense of lithium, panels or Gen.
We on the Netherlands at the moment and there no short of 907 but they are €45 and lots of the DIY stored have different colour 4.5 kg at €17 .
I'm just putting stuff together ( connection and so on ) to start buying what ever about and refill my 907 ( it's dangerous , don't do it , you blow yourself up) save it not interested .
Many on the cruisering circuit do it and so far I not heard of anyone cocking it up .

KevinT1

Visit site
FloGas 4.5KG is identical dimensions but uses a push on regulator, so actually a bit more convenient. They seem to have plenty too.

4.5kg Butane Gas Cylinder With 20mm Regulator | Flogas

That’s fine and thanks for the link, but I have 3 off 4.5 Calor Gas bottles ( my gas locker takes 2 + 1 spare at home ), so I would have to fork out 2 * £38.50 to change to FloGas plus the cost of another regulator / adaptor.

Are Calor planning to discontinue the 4.5 kg size bottle ?

lustyd

Visit site
That’s fine and thanks for the link, but I have 3 off 4.5 Calor Gas bottles ( my gas locker takes 2 + 1 spare at home ), so I would have to fork out 2 * £38.50 to change to FloGas plus the cost of another regulator / adaptor.

Are Calor planning to discontinue the 4.5 kg size bottle ?
Yes you would, but the new cylinders would have gas in them. This is how the monopoly is maintained, and why service is so unbelievably bad. You have 3 cylinders but can't get them filled when you need them, so what use are they?

Calor have not commented, but that's one of the rumours. Since they make more money on Camping Gas, probably yes. Those switching to that system will pay twice as much and end up with the same supplier. And there's still a cylinder charge.

lustyd

Visit site
Well believe it or not long term cruisers are switch to electric, many have hobs and ovens electric.
I do understand many who post here are small boats and weekend sailors and not prepared to go to the expense of lithium, panels or Gen.
The amount of solar, batteries and other kit needed to sustainably cook for several people is beyond what normal yachts can support. Several YouTubers are trying to convince people they're doing this, the only actual successful one is Delos from what I can tell, and that's a 54 foot monster with solar farm and multiple wind gens plus a diesel generator which they regularly use. I have a pretty average 36 footer and there's simply no electric solution that will work when I spend 9 days at anchor. I'd need to tow a raft full of lithium batteries covered in several square metres of panels.

The point of this thread was that as a paying customer I want to be able to buy gas conveniently. Why isn't that an acceptable request? I have no desire to mess about filling my own cylinders while still paying full price for the gas from a useless supplier.