Gas rage!

dunedin

Visit site
…..
Make of it as you will, but as far as I can see, they are probably still struggling with the rise in demand for 4kg and 3.9kg cylinder, most of which are probably sitting disused in garages and shed, and an inability to secure a supply of new cylinders which pass their safety inspection.
Good to get the official Calor view. But rather than “struggling with the rise in demand”, after 2 1/2 years of inaction, they are basically just not bothering to do anything to resolve their own cylinder supply issues. Could have built an entire factory in that time, let alone just ordered a few more from a supplier in China
Clearly they are not bothered about customer service or feedback after lots of letters and calls to them on this over the years

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
This would be trivial, they could just get them back from customers garages and sheds. The problem is they have no process to do this without already having a full cylinder. If they were either competent or motivated cylinder stock would be a solved issue. If this is genuinely the root issue they appear to be hoping magic will fix it, because they aren't taking any action.
I have said before if they honoured their published cylinder size exchange rules they could have my empty 3.9 propane in exchange for a full 6kg propane and I would gladly throw in the empty 4kg butane. But as long as they won't do that and insist I pay a new rental charge for another 6kg propane and will give nothing back for the empties, then they will remain in my care until they see sense.

Momac

Visit site
I have said before if they honoured their published cylinder size exchange rules they could have my empty 3.9 propane in exchange for a full 6kg propane and I would gladly throw in the empty 4kg butane. But as long as they won't do that and insist I pay a new rental charge for another 6kg propane and will give nothing back for the empties, then they will remain in my care until they see sense.
If not required sell empty cylinder on Gumtree ? or ebay with buyer to collect?

oldgit

Visit site
Will my garage blocking hoard of empty butane and propane bottles (assorted sizes) eventually become "collectable" and aquire the sort of values achieved by old cellphones. Perhaps it will take some " expert" lovingly fondling a bottle on Antiques Roadshow or the Repair Shop and commenting on its patina of dents, gouges and different colour streaks of paint to access its value. !
Rust and spider webs will surely add to its provenance and dire warnings of poor quality restorations issued.
Look forward to rallys being held in awful wet fields where "enthusiasts" display collections of bottles ...........medals and prizes will be awarded .
Coming soon Bottles and Cash on your TV. ?
Eyewatering amounts asked for pristine full bottles on Ebay followed by companies advertising on ** News about sure fire investment returns.
Anybody interested in a valuable collection of mawkish Charles and Di wedding cups ?

Last edited:

dgadee

Visit site
They say you can exchange your small bottle for a larger one. I just got one 4.5kg today, but in future it will have to be self filling I think.

Ps: there is a similar sized Flogas one and Safefill do one which is a bit larger.

Last edited:

PetiteFleur

Visit site
Just heard today that empty cylinders are being bought up cheap and then being shipped abroad - a lot are going apparently, which could be why Calor aren't getting them back. If Calor gave a return payment for no longer required empties, they would get a few returned.
Once they dry up completely the I suppose I'll have to go to Flogas.

Birdseye

Visit site
Why is it that this whole industry acts as if Calor is the customer and we’re the product? YM have an article basically explaining why poor old Calor can’t cope.
Why is there a Calor Gas shortage? - Yachting Monthly

My marina yesterday didn’t have cylinders (same answer for going on two years!) and for some reason after saying they didn’t have any and hadn’t for some time then changed tune when I asked if they’d mind adding a FloGas cage and said they do get 4.5kg cylinders delivered. She even went as far as to suggest boaters aren’t using gas anymore and instead use electric, so presumably this marina is designed for live aboards.

Apparently I’m just unlucky. For two years. Plus a year at the old marina. Didn’t even really acknowledge the possibility of adding a reputable supplier so their customers could actually go cruising.

Is it me, or should marinas be able to supply gas as a basic part of the contract? No gas means very stressful cruising. Despite the article promising things will be better in 2023 I’ll probably still switch to FloGas who appear to have been supplying gas throughout.
Fill your own - its an easy enough job and it saves money too.

dgadee

Visit site
So Calor say I should swap my empty 3.9Kg for a new 6Kg propane.

Will they NOW do that swap free of charge? they carefully don't say on their FAQ.

I suppose you pay for the gas in the new 6kg bottle. Can't see them giving it to you for free.

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
I suppose you pay for the gas in the new 6kg bottle. Can't see them giving it to you for free.
Of course I expect to pay for the gas. The issue us previously the 3.9 and the 6Kg were in the same "group" and supposed to be interchangeable but recently I twice tried to swap an empty 3.9 for a full 6 and told no you can't do that you will have to pay a new rental for the 6 and would get nothing back for the empty 3.9