funny market ??

birchwood330

www.hydraulicpartsdirect.co.uk
Having been boating for 4 years , I am looking at upgrading but its a strange market. Firstly , nobody wants to take a trade in and secondly , response when I do enquire about advertised boats is , 9 times out of ten , C-rap.

Why advertise a boat when , firstly , you dont want to take another ( much cheaper) boat against it and secondly , when it seems you couldnt care less if it sold or not ?

I am very confused as have money to spend but ,so far , nobody is interested.

Tranona

Visit site
Part exchange is very unusual (for all sorts of logical reasons) unless you are buying a new boat. Very few businesses actually buy and sell on their own account. The boats are owned by private people who are mainly not interested in exchanging one boat for another, but in getting cash so that they can choose their next boat themselves, or not buy another boat.

Suggest you need to re-adjust your approach. Sell your existing boat and when you have cash you will find it much easier to buy the boat you would like.

lisilou

Visit site
We're on our 3rd boat now and each time, we've traded up by pxing the previous boat so we've not experienced that problem tbh.
L
:)
PS..we've never bought privately tho

alt

Visit site
Because I would have thought a £70k boat was easier to sell ? But I may be wrong.

Absolutily not, don't know where you're getting that idea from.

Also, the person might be selling their boat because they no longer want a boat, or infact up-grading.

There's also the fear that they're buying your 'problem'

Unless you're dealing with a dealer - You sell your boat first, get your moola and then buy the other boat - it's quite simple really and has been the way for a long time ;)

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com
Yes but what I dont get is if I had a £200k boat and it had been for sale for 2 years or so and someone offered me a wad of cash plus a £70k boat , I think I would consider it ??

The seller can continue to use his £200k boat while he waits for it to sell, but he may not want to use your £70k boat, or he may not be desperate for the cash and only wants the hassle of one sale, or he may think your boat isn't worth £70k, or that it will be even harder to sell han his £200k boat, or he may have already taken the £200k boat in px for a £million boat and doesn't want yet another px, or he may not want the risk that your boat has a latent defect, or there may be one of a dozen other rational reasons. Whatever that reason is, it's his decision.

birchwood330

Yes ,points taken. I am just an impatient bustard and want to change !

One particular boat I looked at ,the owner had sadly died and its been out of the water for 2 years as its not wanted and STILL , they dont want to take another against it.

I realise how it works with new boats as they have generally enough in the price so after the deal ,they get your boat for next to nothing and can then sell it mega cheap to move it on.

I am looking at new as well so we will see.

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com
One particular boat I looked at ,the owner had sadly died and its been out of the water for 2 years as its not wanted and STILL , they dont want to take another against it.

If the executors took your boat in px, and it proved to be worthless due to a major structural fault, then it's possible they could be sued by the beneficiaries.

It's unlikely to happen of course, and the executors could cover themselves by having a professional survey, but if I were the executor then I'd also want to avoid a px.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Because I would have thought a £70k boat was easier to sell ? But I may be wrong.

If that's the case why hasn't yours been sold already? As already said by others most folk won't want to do a px for a boat they have no interest in. But whilst yours is still unsold no harm in asking but just don't expect it to happen. Maybe best to concentrate on selling yours for the moment.

kashurst

Visit site
In you position just keep looking - sooner or later your boat will sell if its in good nick and importantly in the right place. I believe that older boats sell much better on inland locations than by the sea. Anyone going to sea wants to know the boat is in as good a condition as possible.

Have you spoken to any of the inland marina sales people to sound them out? Ignore the "they are all rip off merchants" that will no doubt follow this post. I have part ex'ed exactly as you describe doing this a few times. At your potential price differential I think they might be pleased to see you in the spring.

gjgm

Visit site
We're on our 3rd boat now and each time, we've traded up by pxing the previous boat so we've not experienced that problem tbh.
L
:)
PS..we've never bought privately tho

Presumably , you were buying from a dealer, though, not a broker.

birchwood330

If that's the case why hasn't yours been sold already? As already said by others most folk won't want to do a px for a boat they have no interest in. But whilst yours is still unsold no harm in asking but just don't expect it to happen. Maybe best to concentrate on selling yours for the moment.

Mine has only been for sale for a month which is a very short time in boat sales I know.

Glyn-2008

Visit site

The problem (as a seller) is that you still have the upkeep bills for a boat even if you do not want a boat. I have had a similar offer for my boat (numbers a lot less though) but it would mean having all the marina bills, although slightly less, and still having to try to sell yet another boat.